Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:09:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDevs Getting Fit
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Devs Getting Fit  (Read 40397 times)
Jason Rohrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2014, 06:20:44 AM »

I've read that "Gallon of Milk a Day" will make anyone gain weight.  Milk can be pretty cheap, too.  I'm not sure about the health side-effects, though (like residual hormones in both non-organic and organic milk, or pesticides in non-organic milk---also, all that lactose).  There's also a danger of gaining fat instead of muscle.
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 06:36:35 AM »

@shellbot - I was in a similar situation, for the longest time my food budget was £5 / week (about $8) but there are many ways to make up your calories.

Look up Jack Monroe / A Girl Called Jack, she's got some budget eating madskills!

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
shellbot
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 10:53:44 AM »

@shellbot - I was in a similar situation, for the longest time my food budget was £5 / week (about $8) but there are many ways to make up your calories.

Look up Jack Monroe / A Girl Called Jack, she's got some budget eating madskills!

Hmmm, I'll add that one to the docket. This may be just what I need. Thanks david Beer!
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2014, 12:06:08 PM »

I've read that "Gallon of Milk a Day" will make anyone gain weight.  Milk can be pretty cheap, too.  I'm not sure about the health side-effects, though (like residual hormones in both non-organic and organic milk, or pesticides in non-organic milk---also, all that lactose).  There's also a danger of gaining fat instead of muscle.

If you are in highschool, lifting weights and wanna just get big, this is who benefits from a gallon of milk.

There could be pesticides in Organic milk, just organic pesticides.

If you don't lift weights, then you probably shouldn't slam a gallon of milk a day.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2014, 12:11:31 PM »

If you don't lift weights, then you probably shouldn't slam a gallon of milk a day.

++

i can attest that GOMAD works, but it's not an easy lifestyle to maintain. You should probably only do it if you're already lifting and not seeing the gains you want (bro)

shellbot
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2014, 07:55:40 PM »

If you are in highschool, lifting weights and wanna just get big, this is who benefits from a gallon of milk.

There could be pesticides in Organic milk, just organic pesticides.

++

i can attest that GOMAD works, but it's not an easy lifestyle to maintain. You should probably only do it if you're already lifting and not seeing the gains you want (bro)

All this seems like solid advice. I kind of want to try GOMAD; I love milk and I want to gain weight. Win-win?

I have a question though, should I gain a bit of weight then start lifting or lift while trying to gain. I'm currently 6'2, 145-150lbs
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2014, 11:38:44 PM »

I have a question though, should I gain a bit of weight then start lifting or lift while trying to gain. I'm currently 6'2, 145-150lbs

Change your diet and start lifting simultanously Smiley

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2014, 01:00:14 AM »

Thing about lifting is, it's going too two fold affect your metabolism... you'll be using a lot of energy building muscle, and then to maintain it you'll use more energy... so as you muscle up you need to be eating more or your body will struggle to find theresources to actually build muscle...

If your serious about lifting you want be having a calorie surplus, you then focus on building muscle mass (and a little fat) then once you've built a bit of muscle you go on a "cutting" programme to lose the fat and get tone... Either way you need to be slamming calories down.. As for the Gallon of milk thing... I would be soo sick drinking that much milk across a day, which is why protien powder exists, get the protien hit in 2 does's then you don't need to drink a gallon of milk...

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2014, 01:36:43 AM »

Thing about lifting is, it's going too two fold affect your metabolism... you'll be using a lot of energy building muscle, and then to maintain it you'll use more energy... so as you muscle up you need to be eating more or your body will struggle to find theresources to actually build muscle...

If your serious about lifting you want be having a calorie surplus, you then focus on building muscle mass (and a little fat) then once you've built a bit of muscle you go on a "cutting" programme to lose the fat and get tone... Either way you need to be slamming calories down.. As for the Gallon of milk thing... I would be soo sick drinking that much milk across a day, which is why protien powder exists, get the protien hit in 2 does's then you don't need to drink a gallon of milk...

It's a shame that white cheese is not a thing anywhere in the west... I really miss it whenever I'm on vacation.
It's basically a hard block of cottage cheese that you can either cut into slices or mix with cream or yoghurt. It has A LOT of protein and is frakin delicious (I've been eating it almost everyday for 20 years now).

edit: Apparently it's called Quark in english and is common in German speaking countries and in Scndinavia, but I've never seen it in German or Norwegian shops (and I've spent two and a half months in Norway) and Norwegians didn't understand what I mean when I tried to explain to them what it is.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 01:48:20 AM by Netsu » Logged

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2014, 01:54:15 AM »

It's a shame that white cheese is not a thing anywhere in the west... I really miss it whenever I'm on vacation.
It's basically a hard block of cottage cheese that you can either cut into slices or mix with cream or yoghurt. It has A LOT of protein and is frakin delicious (I've been eating it almost everyday for 20 years now).

edit: Apparently it's called Quark in english and is common in German speaking countries and in Scndinavia, but I've never seen it in German or Norwegian shops (and I've spent two and a half months in Norway) and Norwegians didn't understand what I mean when I tried to explain to them what it is.

I've seen Quark in my more speciality supermarkets but never really known what it was. I might give it a try as I've started to lift again Tongue

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2014, 02:00:35 AM »

Put it on fresh bread with some salt, pepper and veggies (sliced tomatoes and cucumbers work best) Hand Thumbs Up Right

Some people eat it sweet, with jam or sugar, but I never liked it that way, unless in a cheesecake.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2014, 02:06:04 AM »

quark is really common here in austria (tho our word for it is "topfen") and can be bought at any regular supermarket. never would have thought that it was an obscure specialty food most everywhere else in the world. wat a hell.
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2014, 02:25:52 AM »

I know, right? Switzerland seems like an even better emigration destination now.

On the topic of what is and what isn't an obscure specialty food: When my friend was doing a student's exchange with the Netherlands he was living with a local family, and at the dinner table the head of the family pointed out a plate of plain yellow cheese to him and said:
'Look, this is called CHEESE.'
'Yes, I KNOW.'

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2014, 03:02:48 AM »

I've always been unsure about weightlifting - you can get a stunning body (if that's your bag) from calisthenics, and ultimately your body will be better suited to "normal" feats of strength / ability. Just my 2c

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2014, 03:11:17 AM »

The kind of body you get from weight lifting is different than from calisthenics, mainly bigger. So it depends on what you want to achieve. Also many people treat weight lifting as a sport, powerlifting can be very satisfying.

As for 'normal feats of strength' that depends, I never had to lift my own body up in any way in real life but on several occasions I needed to carry around (or upstairs) very heavy weights like bags of materials or washing machines.

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2014, 04:04:46 AM »

I enjoy weight lifting, I'm not sure where it comes from though, my dad and borther are very skinny, I'm a mix of muscle (with a bit of a beer gut) I've always enjoyed the feeling of successful workouts and building up strength beyond what you can do with just body weight,

Theres a primal feeling about lifting heavy things, a rush of endorpines and a hormone high that can be quite addictive after a punishing workout.. once you get past the initial burn (the pain and aches of the first month) and get into a routine with a gym buddy, where you're both pushing each other to improve... It can be quite rewarding and push you to better things.

Also like Netsu says the body you get is different, Calisthetics will give you a naturally toned body, and the muscles that will be strogest tend to be the useful muscles.. Weight lifting is ironically about building up less useful muscles by doing obscure exercises... Biceps for example are useful but mostly a "good looking muscle", but your triceps are far more important and are used in dat to day life a lot more, same goes for Abs or general core muscles, you may want a six pack, but building up your lower back is actually far more "benefical" for exercise point of view.. a strong back will allow you to put more power through most upper body exercises because you'll have more control and stability etc...

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2014, 05:15:49 AM »

It's also quite a difference between powerlifting and body building even though both are weight lifting. Doing squats and deadlifts will definitely make you stronger in everyday life and stresses the most widely used muscles (lower back, legs, forearms), while isolated excercises like biceps curls are mostly just for show.

I enjoy both getting a little beefier in the more visible parts and feeling stronger overall. I do mix in some pullups and dips (with additional weight actually) into my weight lifting routine.

Chef Boyardee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2014, 08:55:09 AM »

Go to the gym 5 times a week, try to break personal records every time I go. Taking a break atm, a vein in my brain almost exploded last time I was there so I've got to chill for a while. It happened before and it was bad.

Agree with the comments about feeling good after weight lifting. It's a good way for me to handle depression and I've been feeling horrible while I can't lift.

Check out my game

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2014, 04:01:31 PM »

Up until recently I didn't realize that Bodybuilding and Strength training are 2 different goals of weight lifting. If you do mostly Strength training exercises, you will get stronger and leaner, but you won't necessarily get huge. You gotta do body building specific isolation exercises to work that kind of stuff, but you could just do the big lifts and get strong without getting too big. Basically, getting big doesn't happen by accident, it takes years of hard work.

I'm trying to go 3 times a week, working on big lifts and I'm trying to do an active yoga routine everyday. I took a 3 week long hiatus from the gym because I was sick.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2014, 01:54:42 AM »

Oh somthing I used to do when I lived in a smaller town with one gym, was go to a bunch of exercise classes.. And my absolute faveorite was Kettle Bell Circuits... If you don't know what a kettle bell is it's basically a cast ball of iron with a big fat metal handle... They come in 12, 14, 16, kg etc upwards... but the good thing is... 90% of the exercises are compound exercises... so you work your entire body or a good proportion with each movement, it's also got a bit of a Crossfit vibe to the structure of the workouts and so you get a really punishing class that works your entire body...

Man I need to find a kettle bell class near me again :D

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic