Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:17:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDevs Getting Fit
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Devs Getting Fit  (Read 40069 times)
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2014, 09:47:24 PM »

I'm about to start with SS but it's gonna be hard to fit my macros with cafeteria food.  So I need to get whey protein ASAP.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
shellbot
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2014, 10:48:38 PM »

Just following up. I tried GOMAD. I lasted 2 1/2 days, and I don't think I will drink milk for the rest of the year. Back to the drawing board Tongue
Dewfreak83
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2014, 04:59:54 AM »

I started to work full-time from home 4 months ago and started eating better. I was getting fast-food almost every single day! Not to mention all the free snacks and soda at my old job...

After about 4 months of "eating better" and going for a mile walk 2-3 days a week I haven't seen much progress (I really thought cutting out soda and fast-food would have had an impact!).

So last week me and the wife joined a gym! I think its going much better... time will tell!

Bonus Question: What is your favorite getting-fit food at the moment?
Mine is organic pop-tarts!

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2014, 05:57:02 AM »

I started to work full-time from home 4 months ago and started eating better. I was getting fast-food almost every single day! Not to mention all the free snacks and soda at my old job...

After about 4 months of "eating better" and going for a mile walk 2-3 days a week I haven't seen much progress (I really thought cutting out soda and fast-food would have had an impact!).

Bonus Question: What is your favorite getting-fit food at the moment?
Mine is organic pop-tarts!

Errr? change the going for a mile walk 2-3 times a week, to going for a 2-3 mile walk every day... If your working from home your activity levels were probably Sedentary compared to even commuting to work which would have been light anyways... You really need to get up and move every single day if you can... A mile walk is nothing if it's the only thing you do apart from sit on your butt in front of a pc...

As for Healthy eating? were you calorie counting? or did you just eat less junk food but still eat the same ammount of calories of "healthier" food? Your not going to lose weight if you went from 2500 cals of junkfood a day too 2500 cals of nuts, seeds and salad....

As for Pro tip... your organic pop tarts are... 200cals per pop tart!... change to porrige with a bit of fresh fruit for simillar calories but feeling much fuller and then not as hungry later in the day :S

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2014, 06:56:21 AM »

Just following up. I tried GOMAD. I lasted 2 1/2 days, and I don't think I will drink milk for the rest of the year. Back to the drawing board Tongue

GOMAD is really only for people who need a ridiculous caloric surplus (i.e. extremely low BF%).  It's usually a newbie trap if someone recommends it.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Dewfreak83
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2014, 06:32:52 PM »

Errr? change the going for a mile walk 2-3 times a week, to going for a 2-3 mile walk every day... If your working from home your activity levels were probably Sedentary compared to even commuting to work which would have been light anyways... You really need to get up and move every single day if you can... A mile walk is nothing if it's the only thing you do apart from sit on your butt in front of a pc...
Heh yeah. It started out as "I'm gonna take a long walk every morning!". And then it became every other day. And then mostly every other day. I often would wake up and would want to dig right into code/art/design/marketing/yada-yada.

As for Healthy eating? were you calorie counting? or did you just eat less junk food but still eat the same ammount of calories of "healthier" food? Your not going to lose weight if you went from 2500 cals of junkfood a day too 2500 cals of nuts, seeds and salad....
No I don't calorie count. I have before and it was indeed effective - I have no real desire to do that at the moment. Mostly I was just expecting some level of change from eating self-prepared / healthier foods. I probably just stopped putting on weight...

As for Pro tip... your organic pop tarts are... 200cals per pop tart!... change to porrige with a bit of fresh fruit for simillar calories but feeling much fuller and then not as hungry later in the day :S
I hear ya :-) I'm not going food-Nazi though... my cheat food are the organic pop-tarts and I doubt I'll give them up Smiley

If the gym doesn't show much progress, I may turn up "the notch" a bit with calorie counting and vetoing the pop-tarts (we are talking last resort here! haha). But I have a feeling I'm on the right track without completely hijacking the things I love  Grin

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2014, 04:31:01 AM »

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2014, 08:34:20 AM »

Due to a scale calibration issue I discovered I just lost 5 pounds so I'm pretty happy about that.

Zogthor
Level 0

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2014, 04:22:03 PM »

Been on a hard burn with development since July where I was devoting all extra hours to the project. We've made a ton of progress buuut I've gained about 30lbs and now get winded pretty easily >_>;

Back when I was more active, I actually really liked Shaun T's Insanity program, I got really great endurance and lost a little weight with it. I'm going to try out P90X though to try to get back into shape and build more muscle this time.

Glad I saw this thread, haven't had workout buddies in a while =P

mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2014, 07:25:09 PM »

started taking some martial arts and occasionally going to the gym. Trying to focus on minimizing my wheat, sugar, flour intake. It's been months. I still can't do a push up.

ColeyWoley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2014, 07:36:57 PM »

I've gained like 10 kgs since I went full time indie. I really need to lose some weight.  But I get really flaky and dim when I'm losing weight. Anyone have any tips for staying productive and smart while dieting?

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2014, 06:38:41 PM »

Why diet when you can exercise? Exercise makes your brain faster and it makes you fitter. I mean, unless your normal diet is made up of unhealthy food or something.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2014, 10:24:37 PM »

if you're not following some gimmick diet then how will you steer lunch table conversations to the subject of yourself and your boring life

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
i.i
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2014, 08:20:05 PM »

My friend has been pulling me to the gym a lot lately, and though I dont know much myself, diet AND exercise is key. You can't do much with one without the other. Oh, and also, sleep!
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2014, 10:20:25 PM »

There's a difference between a diet and your diet though. If you go on a diet of only vegetables (totally don't know if this is a thing, just an example), just in order to lose weight, but you don't exercise, it's a little weird. However, if you just go for a healthy diet (meaning like your general food consumption), then you don't exercise, it's a bit better sounding.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2014, 12:23:27 AM »

Yeah for most people 'diet' seems to mean some weird rules that you follow for a month or two and then you just can't take it anymore. Like 'eat only salads' or 'no fat AT ALL'. And they hope to lose weight or 'become healthy' this way.

You can go on a short term diet and couple it with excersises to lose weight, but I'm pretty sure the only diets that would work this way are carb reduction diets. Otherwise if you want to change your diet to be more healthy you should think of it as a permanent thing.

Chef Boyardee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2014, 07:00:06 AM »

holy shit.

Check out my game

Zogthor
Level 0

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2014, 06:49:46 PM »

Yeah for most people 'diet' seems to mean some weird rules that you follow for a month or two and then you just can't take it anymore. Like 'eat only salads' or 'no fat AT ALL'. And they hope to lose weight or 'become healthy' this way.

You can go on a short term diet and couple it with excersises to lose weight, but I'm pretty sure the only diets that would work this way are carb reduction diets. Otherwise if you want to change your diet to be more healthy you should think of it as a permanent thing.

I did the ketosis diet (another low carb diet) for three months and lost a lot of weight with that and exercise. Freakin loved it, I could have a 4x4 protein style from In N Out every day for lunch. Only reason I stopped was that it was too expensive to eat with the price of groceries compared to 99 cents for two tacos from Jack In The Box.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2014, 02:03:08 AM »

Every single time I weigh myself I weight the same
I do more exercise than any of my fit looking friends
I hate my genetics so much

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2014, 03:15:52 AM »