Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:35:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeresy (RTS/RPG)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Heresy (RTS/RPG)  (Read 3841 times)
darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2014, 12:01:52 PM »

Heresy Alpha Prototype Trailer:

4 Video Series with a Developer Preview:

Part I Introduction:  http://youtu.be/566BmQz00lA
Part II Combat:  http://youtu.be/lw8yDSADvQ4
Part III Building:  http://youtu.be/PnAXkx1kOjw
Part IV Future Plans:  http://youtu.be/REX-iyBqHvo

I'm a solo indie developer currently working on a game called Heresy.  You take the role of a God influencing the lives of your followers in a medieval setting.  Build villages, castles and defend them from raiders.  Possess any specific follower for a more direct approach or issue commands and watch your will be done.  

Any feedback welcome.

Some links:
Gmail - [email protected]
Twitter - https://twitter.com/darkmadegames
Reddit - http://www.reddit.com/r/heresygame
Twitch - http://www.twitch.tv/darkmadegames
IndieDB - http://www.indiedb.com/games/heresy
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:01:33 AM by darkmade » Logged
Andy Rhetoric
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »

Cool sounding concept. What games/whatever else were you inspired by to work on this?

Are you planning on continuing with the video updates? Personally I'd prefer to read the kind of content you're detailing in the videos.
darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 03:11:15 PM »

Cool sounding concept. What games/whatever else were you inspired by to work on this?

I was actually more inspired by the lack of a game that would allow me to do these types of things than any game out there.  There are some notable examples of concepts in games though:  

Dungeon Keeper had a neat possession spell that would allow you to take direct control over one of your dungeon minions.  It never featured a prominent role in the game, since it was much more effective to play in the standard way, but it was a very interesting concept.

The old Stronghold Crusader was really the only game to get castle management and siege combat right, but I always wanted it to allow you to have more control over your building's placement and construction.  Combining buildings as rooms or having them connect beyond that really was outside the realm of a game like that.  It seems the new one is just a complete remake of the old concept.  The grid system didn't allow for the freedom I'd want to construct the perfect medieval city.  

I also should reference games like Mount and Blade and Chivalry.  I figured that it would be cool if you could actually control the building aspect and then fight over your creation.  

Are you planning on continuing with the video updates? Personally I'd prefer to read the kind of content you're detailing in the videos.

I'm not that great with marketing aspects and thought I should at least learn enough about video creation and posting to youtube to be competent with it.  It's a lot less time consuming to write my thoughts instead, but it really depends more on how people would prefer that I discuss Heresy's mechanics.  I do realize that if you do no marketing and have nobody aware of your game it will fall flat on its face, even if it does happen to be the best game in the world with brand new interesting mechanics.  
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 11:24:20 AM by darkmade » Logged
darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 06:20:13 AM »

It looks like this forum would be an excellent place to not only consolidate my thoughts, but also get some feedback on my ideas moving forward.  Hey even if people don't read it, it would be valuable for me.  

I have a pretty extensive changelog that I've been storing on my computer in a little notepad file, but it would make more sense to just keep it here to see the evolution over time.  So here it is:  

Heresy Alpha Prototype changes:

New Features Completed:

effect when possess on/off
invert mousewheel option
invert y axis option
exclude weapon in other hand on bows
quiver
bow AI
bow mode
sprint backwards at half speed
Music
Music Volume
fully debug A* pathfinding & optimize:
  height more important in heuristic
  half way solve
  pathfinding edger
shield mode
shield mode right hand animations
repaint the terrain
wall end
AI attack if building in way of units
squad control
Troll ragdoll
Add ambient sound control
FOV slider
left hand animations
Orc and Troll change
scroll bar in units left menu
population increase
health regeneration
A* Pathfinding 3d
A* Pathfinding 3d smoother function
Pathfinding as a coroutine
Hand Grips on Equips
Realistic Human
Build AI
Free Build Mode Menu
Onslaught Mode Menu
icons for leather pants, long shirts
Game Over Screen
time counter
In-Game Menu{
  Sound Volume
  Music Volume
  Mouse Sensitivity
  Turn sensitivity
}

Menus:
Grey out Multiplayer
Grey out Tutorial
Grey out Campaign

Bugs that have been fixed:

AI going to alternative sources if current is full or complete
arrow bounce on same team
overlap on trees while building raycast stays red
lower initial iteration count
add in height calc
remove recalcing cycle
shortest_distance321 optimize
shield right hand overlap on EquipUpdate
build AI
stuck in stockpile, ignore raycast on X, have pathfinding raycasts hit
patrol deselect
axe disappearing on auto-switch
Clean up AI(Woodchop AI bug)
possessed fire1 fix
Clothing resize
dead corpse unanimate when camera moves
redo walls for the family_tent and command_hut outlines
move away from dead corpse after battle
Sound Fix on menu buttons / fire1 dead on menu click
turn off castle button
time fix
Terrain Trees Coming back after initial play
crash after exiting program
Turn faster at small distances
selection removal after dead unit or destroyed building
fire 1 stuck after battle
camera flip
Orc Patrol (Pathfinding) / Wander as a Squad
tree disappear instantly after wood gone
unit harlem shake on map load
Orc Patrol initial point
wood wall too heavy
climb out of level
collision grounded freeze up
wood wall scaling
wood wall door health
Building destruction (wood walls, tent roofs, campfire exploding, bonfire exploding)

Bugs to be Fixed:

Optimize the Building colliders

Features to Add:

bow mode right hand animations
jump animations

Options:
total wall control lists
pop-up when needed control
skybox

Profiles:
Load in preferences

Extras:
Add in credits

Potential Idea Storage:

Culture System
Magic System
deconstruction and repair AI
bound rts cam inside of the scene
command_hut show current work
command_hut promote king
Keep construction
Blacksmith
Inventory pick-up
Auto-promote unit sets
Females
Food

Future Improvements:

Complete 5 Levels of buildings
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 06:26:03 AM by darkmade » Logged
darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 12:01:56 PM »

I've been working on improving the UI to get the structure in place to link to the hidden systems within the game. 

Here is how the UI looked a few months ago:

Here is how the UI looks now:

On a design theory basis, I'd like to accomplish 4 goals:
-Display relevant information clearly and quickly to the player. 
-Stand out just enough to provide the necessary information, but not be distracting from the core game-play. 
-Balancing the information that is necessary over multiple menus without either spreading relevant information too thin or leaving certain menus blank while other menus contain too much info. 
-Allow for customization by the player. As things progress, I will continue to add the ability to change and hide any menus, rather than waiting til the end to re-engineer the code to accomplish this. 

So here's the current progress:

The Menu at the very top is a menu that can't be hidden, it controls which other menus you see.  It's at the top left of this image. 

The left menus, that consist of Info, Inventory, Statistics, and Family, are shown in sets of 3s.  The first presentation on the left shows what that menu looks like with no units selected, the middle shows one unit selected, and the third shows if many units are selected. 

The right menus consist of Build Info, Build, Research, and Command.  They are shown on the right of this image.  The top left of that set shows when no building is selected, the top right shows if one building is selected, the bottom left shows the building sets that are available, and the bottom right shows one of the sets to pick individual buildings. 

The menus shown at the bottom show, from left to right, health, the action menu, and the mini-map.  The upper-most one of the 2 shows if one person is selected and the bottom if multiple units are selected. 

Lot of text, but if you're still with me and interested in this sort of thing, let me know what you think of this type of layout.  Also, if there's anything that you think I might be able to improve in terms of the look.  I will be filling out the building menus and extending the research tree to its own window.  The system in the research tree could then be ported to both the family tree system and the character progression system.  I need to build this system to be easily converted and implemented with these other 2 systems in mind. 

Just a side-note:  I've mentioned this briefly before, but prior to posting on this forum, I would organize my thoughts on paper and various text files stored locally.  Any reasonable criticism is welcome. 

darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 09:18:08 AM »

I have created a research system.  It allows you to select from different paths and have units complete those paths either by AI or direct control.  The system is fully scalable to incorporate any future buildings I add.  The book in the bottom center menu appears when there's a building that can accomplish researching.  The menu shown to the right allows you to select the current research path you wish to take.  

Research unlocks new buildings, which are shown on screen.  Eventually, I will add a social system that allows you to customize things to your play-style.  Two new buildings are shown in the screenshot that can be unlocked through research paths.  

The store is on the right of the large grass tent and is a more secure version of the stockpile.  It holds gathered resources, weapons and equipment.  

The wooden cabin to the left allows for more residents and is more secure version of the small grass family tent.

Here's a better look at the wooden cabin.  The menu to the right of this cabin shows a new resident.  Like the research button, the home button next to it will allow for people to move in to buildings automatically or return to their homes to heal up before the next battle.  Just like every other system I build, the AI can handle this with a simple click of an action button or you can do things manually in either an RTS style or RPG style.  

Next Steps:
I'm going to add in some cheat codes to speed up any debugging and add in some fun cheats for when I feel like messing around.  I'll add in 3 more buildings to round out the 5 research paths shown.  One of these buildings will be a fletcher to produce bows and arrows.  A palisade for better defense and a mine for ore and stone extraction shall be added.  

I'll finish up any loose ends, search out any cpu/gpu spikes(I found a minor one just in implementing these new systems that I wasn't aware of), and then it's off to produce a 2nd alpha prototype.  At that point, I need to get this game out for limited QA play-testing.  
darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 04:46:56 PM »

I've been working on making each building fully destructible.  I've also created a cheat menu that will easily allow for debugging and messing around.  

Normally, a unit would have to hack on a building to destroy it, but with the magic of cheat codes I've created some gifs of buildings exploding.

Large Command Straw Hut:
http://i.imgur.com/gplghBh.gifv

Wooden House:
http://i.imgur.com/bPfLaEc.gifv

Mine:
http://i.imgur.com/2uDbNJ6.gifv

As shown in the collapsible buildings, I have added in a new building that will eventually allow for collection of ore and stone called the mine.  It is not yet fully textured, but I plan to create a texture for the store well portion at the base and animating the rotation assembly at the top with a rope that pulls the resources out of the depths of the well.  

The next building to finish is the fletchers house to produce arrows and then I'll change my current wall code to incorporate the palisades, which are already fully modeled.  
darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »

I'd like to get a 2nd full working alpha prototype that will show off the new systems that I've recently added, so that's been my top priority as of late.  Once that's done, it's time to do some heavy testing and try to break everything in every way possible.  There's some optimization that I could do to tighten up aspects of the code and some general polish that still needs to be done. 

Changed the background of the main menu to show a very dark village:

I've just finished the automated operation of the mine to collect ore, which was very easy to implement by slightly modifying the wood collection system.  A job system that works as a hybrid of both research and wood collection will handle things like production of weapons. 

There are now fully functional, lockable doors that can be operated by units or by menu.  I'll use this system for any gatehouses and interior castle doors as I move forward. 

Still to do before this build is done:

create the jump animations
right hand bow animations (mirror of the current left hand bow animations)
mine operation animation

create a decent looking ore icon
job/AI fletcher_control

you're stuck code rework

palisade stairway
palisade gate
palisade/wall script
total wall control lists to select and manipulate walls instead of one at a time

Menu Buttons that are off should be greyed out
comment out log statements

the arrow physics equation

I have a good idea of what I'm going to do in most of these cases, except one.  The problem is presented below and I think I'll continue to post it random places until somebody gives me either something I've missed or an equation that satisfies the conditions.   

Arrow Problem:

I'm trying to get an accurate angle to shoot an arrow from AI units to hit other AI units. I can't seem to come up with a reasonable equation that doesn't use any estimations of time. Logically, I feel that it should be possible to eliminate the time factor in this problem. I was hoping that somebody could help me where my memory of physics, trigonometry, and calculus have failed. I've looked around for an answer online, but still don't have a solution.

One unit is stationary with a bow and arrow. He fires the arrow at some angle at 25 m/s. The arrow follows a trajectory effected by gravity until it hits something.

There is an enemy unit moving around away from the player at some distance. He has some velocity from 7.5 m/s to being stationary and is at some height relative to the player.

I broke the problem up into 2 parts(y-axis component and x-axis component) using the physics equation: distance = velocity * time + (1/2) * acceleration * (time2)

y component: Height - 1 = 25 * cos Angle * time + (1/2) * (-9.81) * (time2)

x component: distance = 25 * sin Angle * time + enemyvelocity * time

(note (Height - 1) is used since the arrow starts approx. a meter up from the ground)

I can solve for the angle as a function of time and the other constants(height, distance, enemyvelocity) and I can solve for time as a function of the angle, but I feel there should be a way to get the angle from the constants alone, without the need of knowing the time it takes for the arrow to hit its target.

Angle as a function of time and other constants:

Angle = tan-1 ((distance - enemyvelocity * time) / (Height - 1 + 4.9 * (t2)))

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have been unable to come up with a working solution, outside of using estimated time values, on my own.

darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 06:07:15 AM »

The job AI, job UI and job assignment code has been fully implemented and is reasonably tested.  I will probably mess around a little bit more with the way the buttons look, but the heavy lifting is complete.  I can use this system to handle any type of job assignment, like a smith producing swords and armor. 

Here's a picture of the fletcher, along with the King practicing his aim at a target next to it:

Remaining things to complete before the 2nd Alpha prototype can move to the full testing stage:

jump animations

you're stuck code rework(when a unit has a destination that is further away, but is currently not moving based on some collision)

palisade stairway
palisade gate
palisade/wall script
total wall control lists

The palisade system will work very similar to the current wall system.  I want to beef up this system and make it easier to add other wall types moving forward.  Instead of selecting one wall at a time, I feel it would be better to have the option to select the entire wall.  The palisade is different from the smaller fences in that it needs to account for platforms that units may use. 

The door code I've recently written can handle the operation of the palisade gate, so it's just a matter of deciding how I wish the model it.  Testing this with AI enemies smashing down the gate and running towards the defenders should will be a fun testing experience to say the least. 

I have not previously shared links to twitch and indiedb.  The indiedb page is new, but I've been streaming to twitch for about 2 or 3 weeks now.  There's no set schedule around my twitch streaming, I mainly do it for fun.  I've noticed the majority of other devs there tend to just play music and work, but I discuss my thoughts as I'm working on my game.  I feel this is more informative and helpful to people watching. 

http://www.twitch.tv/darkmadegames

http://www.indiedb.com/games/heresy
darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »

Placing of the standard wooden wall has been upgraded to allow for many different manipulations to be performed while planning out your defenses.  This first gif shows the basic placement and snapping effects of creating a wall. 

By holding shift while placing a wall, you can ensure that the next segment is straight and by holding ctrl, you can move your cursor back to delete segments.  As soon as you let go of either shift or ctrl, the placement can continue as normal. 

You can delete walls as either individual segments or delete the entire set of walls that you just placed.  If these walls have been constructed, you may also schedule them for demolition either per individual wall piece or as a whole. 

The next development step is to add in the palisade walls to this system, so that after players has researched the necessary tech, they can place and manipulate larger defenses.  Personally, I'm happy with the way this system turned out and am excited about moving forward to more complex implementations.  The entire time I was doing this, I was considering how it would incorporate the palisade and castle walls.  Unlike the smaller wooden fences, larger walls need space to take into account platforms. 

I have been trying to maximize the player's control over design choices, while also restricting overlapping walls that defy real world logic.  It is also important to make everything as intuitive and easy on the player as possible, since I'd rather have players worrying about fighting with their enemies, instead of the game itself. 
darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 05:03:11 PM »

Lots of minor pieces to clean up, but the palisade system is complete.  Once I'm done polishing the corners, I'll do a longer writeup of how everything works, but I was excited to get this image, posted above, out there. 

darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 06:25:14 AM »

The palisade system is complete.  It's important to note that this building will become available after the necessary research is completed, but with cheat codes, I can speed up the process. 

As you place walls, the game calculates the direction that you're moving the cursor and creates a curved segment if there is a need for one.  You can delete entire wall sets or individual pieces to your liking. 

You also can add platforms for the entire wall or for individual sections.  Automatically, platforms are lowered or raised base upon the type of platform you select in the right menu. 

This shows the placement of stairs to allow your units to defend the walls from atop your fortifications. 

Finish off with some more stairs, a gate, and with some cheat code magic, there's no need to collect resources, so we can finish the fort. 

No devblog post would be complete without a glamour shot of the completed demonstration. 

I actually finished this system about a week ago, but decided to do some QA to improve anything I could stumble across.  I created a few different tree types to mix up the look of the forest, created some flaming arrows for later use, and fixed an annoying little bug that would rotate the units if they were walking up hills in certain orientations. 

I really would like to continue the process of improving the look and feel of the game by expanding the terrain system to handle height changes.  Right now, the terrain surface is flat, but I'd like to implement a manager that could handle leveling, raising, and lowering of heights by units.  Players could then dig moats or create hills for better protection.  Buildings could be placed anywhere there's a reasonable slope; a solid foundation could be leveled before the buildings are completed.  I'm also going to deal with the placement and removal of foliage.  Currently, there are 2 types of simple grass billboards and I'd like to include bushes, weeds, smaller trees, rocks, and the like to really give life to the map. 

I've been thinking about changing the textures on the terrain during gameplay to simulate wear from people walking, but at this point, it's just an idea that I'm tossing around. 

I'll probably create another trailer video showing some of the new goodies and then try to get greenlit on steam.  I feel like the game has enough content to be enjoyable to a niche audience and I could really use some player feedback on my design choices.  It would also be nice to get some revenue to outsource creation of character models, but nothing I'm banking on.  I thought about doing a kickstarter, but it seems to be on its decline.  Not really 100% sure of the plan yet, so all this is subject to change. 
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 07:00:30 AM »

some impressive tech on display here. what engine are you building this in? home-made?

also, I hope none of this is final art (ui obviously isn't, but 3d models?). sounds cool, but looks ultra generic.
darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 07:23:48 AM »

Bonus fire arrow gif just because why not:

some impressive tech on display here. what engine are you building this in? home-made?

also, I hope none of this is final art (ui obviously isn't, but 3d models?). sounds cool, but looks ultra generic.

It's built in Unity.  Everything except for a few things like trees (which uses Unity's tree creator) are custom built.  I've found I'm a lot better at the tech aspects of the game than the art.  I don't want to go with a cartoony approach, but how do you think I could improve the graphics?  I realized when I started this that striving for realism would be difficult and has the effect of dating your game, while a more stylized approach has a longer shelf life.  When you say the 3d models aren't up to scratch, do you mean the buildings or the units?  I appreciate any feedback you can offer in advance. 

The UI is in it's own strange state of continual, but minimal, improvement that I'll eventually have to completely overhaul.  It still needs to be functional to get everything off the ground though. 
darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 04:27:03 PM »

New Trailer I've just created showing off the siege mode and another timelapse showing off the newer buildings. 

The trailer can be found here:

I'd appreciate any feedback or questions that the community is willing to offer. 

Quick still from the video:
darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 08:27:50 AM »

Time for the rubber to meet the road and see if people actually wish to greenlight Heresy.

Here's where you can vote if you feel Heresy should be on steam: 

Posted an updated description of the game that I'll share here as well:

You take the role of a God influencing the lives of your followers in a medieval setting. Build villages, castles and defend them from raiders. Possess your followers to take direct control over their actions. Advance your civilization for better technologies, buildings, abilities, and equipment.

Features:

Full RTS capabilities to construct, manage, and fight over your constructions. Automate the duties of your entire empire to focus on what you wish to accomplish.
Take direct control of any of your followers in battle or exploration. Play Heresy as a pure real-time strategy game or examine the game from a 1st or 3rd person perspective.
3 Current game-modes including Siege, Free Build and Onslaught(Survival).

Combat - melee and ranged fighting with varying damage statistics effecting each body part for a unit
Fully Collapsible Buildings - Every building falls realistically given too much damage/fire
Resource Gathering - automated and direct collection of wood and ore to create buildings and equipment
Inventory - weapons, armor, shields, helmets, clothing and bows to customize each follower's gear
Weapon/Armor Production - specialized buildings allow for your followers forge new weapons
Research - unlocks new buildings, equipment, and abilities
Family trees/Reproduction - tracks the generations of followers over time
Royalty commands - manage your kingdom from the central command building/keep
Squad Control - issue commands individually or as a squad
darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 07:25:24 PM »

The first few days on Greenlight have been hectic and I find myself constantly refreshing the stat page to see how things are progressing.  At least I've managed to get a lot of work done thanks to nervous excitement while watching the application process firsthand. 

2 Minics and a Skeleton:

I've completely reworked some of the enemies, shown above.  Attack animations have been redone to appear much heavier and there's also a battle idle stance that triggers when enemies are near.  Previous attack animations didn't incorporate proper leg movement, so now that that's been added, I'm a lot happier with the visuals of a battle. 

The game still needs some stagger animations and block animations to go along with the shield system. 

While I'm working on various models to add to the game.  I figured I should also come up with a back story revolving around the god theme of the game.  I considered the process for the formulation of myths of antiquity.  Some would base their gods off of what they could see in the sky.  I came up with an origin story that used the bodies in the solar system to fit in with the polytheistic fictional theme. 

Below is an attempt to draft out that story (beware poor creative writing attempt ahead):

From the void, came Radia(Sun) and Ruin(Jupiter).  Radia was kind and giving, supplying her light to anything near without question.  Ruin, on the other hand, was cruel and selfish.  Radia decided that she was lonely with only her self-absorbed brother as company, so she gave life to a new god, Frenz.  Frenz(Mercury) was also given Radia's desire to give to all, but his small power combined with the speed to expend power meant that he must be near Radia to sustain himself. 

Ruin saw what his sister had done and decided that a creation of his own could help him obtain more power.  Inig(Saturn) was Ruin's offspring.  Unfortunately for Ruin, Inig proved to be aloof, intelligent and lazy.  Inig refused to help Ruin or follow in a similar path, but also found Radia's ways to be equally as pointless. 

Rila(Venus) was the 2nd god to be birthed by Radia.  Learning from her mistakes, Radia told Rila to be giving, but only to those that truly deserved it.  Radia went on to create twins, the Two Paradises(Earth and Mars) and for a time, Radia's children were happy. 

Ruin, envious of his sister's happiness, created the Minics(Asteroid Belt); tiny, stupid, and loyal creature to serve as Inig did not.  He insured their servitude through fear and would consume them if they ever starter to grow.  He positioned the Minics between himself and Radia's ever-expanding brood.  Radia didn't have it in her nature to stop Ruin from having the Minics invade and destroy the younger twin. 

When the other god's learned of Ruin's destructive plans, they decided that this couldn't continue.  Radia created many lesser gods and creatures to inhabit the last paradise.  Rila gave magic to the skies over this paradise by sending some of her powers to an orbiting moon.  Frenz, not able to provide tangible power, gave his knowledge of lightning.  Even Inig decided to provide intelligence to humans, not for fear for himself, but just because it would annoy his father. 

That's all I have worked out so far.  I'll flip this around a few times, but it was entertaining to think about.  Even if none of this makes it into the game, it'll give me something to base future creations on. 
darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 10:12:30 PM »

I haven't posted an update in awhile, improving the graphics and getting everything to run smoothly is no small task.

Token picture in case anybody is curious:

Jim Sterling was kind enough to make fun of my last trailer on his youtube channel:

https://youtu.be/0ndM5fey8Go?list=PLlRceUcRZcK17mlpIEPsV8gRg_Kjxuy_3

Hey, at least I got on a best of something list.

I'm working on another trailer showing off the game to hopefully get some excitement surrounding Heresy to get it on Steam.  It's 8:45 long.

Above is a work in progress to practice created and editing trailers.  There's a whole host of issues that I noticed, so I'll be reworking it soon. 

-It's too long(I wanted to do a long format and then cut it down)
-The character movement is too slippery(I've been fixing that today)
-There's a minor building bug
-The video has consistency errors(the King dies a few times while I was filming battles over and over again)
-I filmed the building of the keep portion during the night cycle, so it didn't look great
-Getting blocked or parried still needs some love to fit properly
-Some of the details on the terrain are too large and the terrain textures need more randomness on my large island map
-The music is quite good, but could use a better transition at the end. 

I created a master combiner script that used to use a lot of memory, but just today I've cut that usage in half.  Next step is to split this up a bit into a multi-threaded queue to handle the heavy lifting and avoid any hiccups from unit spawning or equipment changes. 
darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 06:40:59 AM »

New Trailer for Heresy telling a short story and showcasing all the changes...

darkmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 12:01:09 AM »

I went ahead and posted a build up on itch.io.  Guess I'm not really a published game developer until somebody buys the thing, but at least I can get some press members giving it a go with itch's press distribution feature. 

http://darkmadegames.itch.io/heresy

Also took some new screenshots to add to that page:

I've added 4 types of bows and 5 types of arrows with different statistics.  Draw power, damages, homing, swerve, magic effects, and fire effects that damage buildings over time are all implemented.  I've solved my previous arrow calculation problem by using a massive excel spreadsheet to get within a meter of any target.  I'll have to add in height into the calculation later. 

There's a range of magical items depicted above, along with the bows and arrows, that each have a different magic spell that can be cast.  You can raise skeletons, fire out projectiles, send spirits to drain enemy endurance, heal troops, and generally just cause havoc in battle. 

Item drops and collections are now scripted and tested. 

The next step is to shore up the assortment of buildings to produce all the armor and weapons.  Then I need to get the armory working to ensure an easy way of giving units the best available equipment.  The UI is going to need to show all the stats that are already built into the game. 
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic