Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:58:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMaking dungeon/rpg styled game, looking for some input!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Making dungeon/rpg styled game, looking for some input!  (Read 980 times)
Tosty
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2014, 05:42:38 AM »

Hey guys,

I’m thinking about making a “Bit Dungeon” styled rpg/dungeon game. Instead of where the character explores a map, he clears “tiles” of different maps from the enemies in order to get to the final boss for each level.

I’m trying to make a list of of important features to add to the game, would like some of your guys’ input.

Also, do you guys really like story-lines to be accompanied for such type games. OR do you not care and just like to go out there and destroy some monsters?
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 07:57:57 AM »

Are you making your game for Tigsource?

I mean, make what you wanna make. Make what's comfortable and sensible to you. Both options are valid.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Tosty
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 10:25:04 AM »

I will be making it for iOS. Just looking for some input as to the better features that make or break an RPG. Trying to give the best USER experience that make it fun and addicting.
Artylo
Level 0

I'm just a voice, pal - a most talented failure, b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »

RPG's can be really broad.
The basic RPG has a simple leveling system, some stats, ect.
... but you have games like Borderlands, which take some RPG elements and put them, in this case, into a first person shooter.
1. You can have some different classes, instead of the usual warrior, mage and rouge, which we all know an love.
2. You can make the story lines differ from your actions, but also your stats and moral choices.
3. Maybe the dungeon is no ordinary dungeon, but a living being. Then you would have to ask some questions:
 - Why is my character here?
 - What is the dungeon?
 - What does it want?
 - ect.

Those are some of the many things that you can think of to kinda break away from the classic dungeon crawler-style RPGs.
I'm not saying that you have to break every fundamental thing about the genre.

Random-generating dungeon games are really popular right now too.

Hope I helped a bit and good luck  Smiley 
Tosty
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 09:48:55 AM »

Thank you for your input, I will come up with some ideas and post them here for everyone to discuss and see which features might be best included in my game!
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 06:34:49 PM »

I do think some focus on monster bashing and looting is inevitable... but there should be another good focus on making different areas with different "feels" about them, which takes more effort to pull off than most dry dungeon stuff. I'll elaborate later, when my brain is more in tune, but today I'm just kinda "blurrrrgh."

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic