Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:46:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingChargeBall - a different take on precision platforming
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ChargeBall - a different take on precision platforming  (Read 953 times)
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2014, 07:17:01 AM »

Hey guys,

I made this over a weekend a while ago. Never really posted it or got feedback on it:

Play it here:

http://www.warsoup.com/ChargeBall/ChargeBall.html

Controls are setup for Xbox 360 Controllers:

Analog Stick: Rotate Dial
A: Charge
LB / RB: Tilt Ball left / right

This is still an early prototype, but I wanted to know what people think so far, cause I played it again today and still think it's damn fun. I made a little Youtube Video to show how I play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGvGDzrIOuI&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:09:22 AM by thomasmahler » Logged

debugchicken
Level 1

Out of the sky, into the dirt.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 01:32:45 PM »

I liked the game a lot.

The only thing that I would change is that, when falling, the impulse considers the falling velocity and the insentity of the canon changes. I would zero the velocity always before applying the impulse, So it would work the same insentity every time.
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 03:23:08 PM »

I'm not sure what else you are going to add, but right now it just feels like a basic platformer that lacks good control. As mirrorlink already noted, the realism in the physics (launching takes into effect current velocity) makes the control issues that much worse.

Are they any special features planned that take advantage of this mechanic? Like using yourself as a weapon (like a cannonball,) perhaps?
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:54:15 AM »

I liked the game a lot.

The only thing that I would change is that, when falling, the impulse considers the falling velocity and the insentity of the canon changes. I would zero the velocity always before applying the impulse, So it would work the same insentity every time.

Interesting. So you're saying if you're falling and you do a full charge, you'd want the charge to be the exact same as when you're on the ground?

The cool thing about the current controls is that you can balance yourself out. So you can do a full charge and blast yourself into the air and whilst you're flying to the right, you steer to the left and charge to perform an 'Air Break'.

The controls might need some getting used to - but they actually allow for some advanced shit once you got used to it. You can also do a pretty high jump if you release a charge the moment you land on the ground.

My next step would be to port this to iOS and Android and adjust the control scheme to work with a virtual little disc - so you'd set the direction with your left thumb and by pressing and holding your right thumb down, you'd charge up.

The whole idea about this really is to put a different twist on precision platforming by completely changing the control scheme and making it work with touch devices, so it'll be interesting to see if it feels any good once I ported it to that.

debugchicken
Level 1

Out of the sky, into the dirt.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 08:11:51 AM »

I liked the game a lot.

Interesting. So you're saying if you're falling and you do a full charge, you'd want the charge to be the exact same as when you're on the ground?

Yes. Not just the falling velicity (Y axis) but the lateral velocity too (X axis), try it, you'll see it will be better. But you will need to tweak a little.

ps.I wrote the word "intensity" wrong twice, I think I'm developing dyslexia hahaha

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 03:52:36 PM »

Personally, I don't have an issue with the current momentum setup. I like that I can slow or stop myself in mid-air.

I only really have two issues. One is that there's no friction on the ground, so I just slide while I'm waiting for my jump/boost to charge or figuring out where I want to go next. I realize that I can move left and right, but I feel like either the game shouldn't have free left/right movement or it should be handled in a more standard way (ie. move while holding the button and stop when it's released).

The other issue is that it takes much longer than I'd like for it to charge. It would've been nice to be able to double-jump, but the most I can usually do is stop myself or maybe perform a tiny mid-air hop.

Since you're using gamepad controls, I was expecting it to boost in the direction I was holding the thumbstick. The current style of aiming works fine but being able to instantly aim in any direction could allow for trickier jumps.

Anyway, I stopped playing when I died up near the hole in a deadly red wall. I misjudged a jump, died and the screen went black. I could still play, but couldn't see anything.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 05:11:30 PM »

Adding to what Quicksand-S said, you could make the intensity of the push be based on how far the stick is tilted and the angle based on the stick angle. Then when you press the button it releases the momentum for that current configuration. Not sure if it would be more fun but I'd want to at least try that b/c as it stands it feels somewhat artificially limiting.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic