Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:03:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJunkyard Robots / Robot factory
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Junkyard Robots / Robot factory  (Read 7717 times)
Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2014, 03:21:36 PM »

Junkyard Robots
Building and managing a robot factory

After binge-playing Factorio, I have a craving to make a production chain game. I actually started one years ago, but now I'm remaking it in 2D sideview.

Original prototype here was 2D top down perspective:

New version after 14 days of evening development:

Have to give thanks to the awesome team behind FlashDevelop, Haxe and Haxeflixel, as well as www.kenney.nl for awesome free tilesheets.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 04:09:57 AM by Playaction » Logged

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 01:57:50 AM »

Cleaned up my mouse logic with a FSM, and added visual feedback to tell the player if a machine is placeable or not.

danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 02:45:36 AM »

Nice, I love Factorio (I've deleted it once already after spending 3 days in a zombie state  Tired).

The only thing I notice is that the arrows on those conveyor belts are rather subtle. A big challenge with Factorio is keeping the belt network going in the right direction so they use bright arrows.

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 04:48:05 AM »

The only thing I notice is that the arrows on those conveyor belts are rather subtle. A big challenge with Factorio is keeping the belt network going in the right direction so they use bright arrows.

Excellent point, thank you.
Good thing my mouse drag logic is rather flexible now. The arrow definetly helps when placing belts. The running lights are probably a bit too much.

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »

A machine can now evenly divide output between two or more outgoing conveyor belts.

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 11:38:44 AM »

Played around with some controlpanel thingamabobs.
This is a bootup sequence of a machine:

Look out, it's going to blow!

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 01:44:35 PM »

Spent most of my evening hacking a FlxButton into a FlipswitchButton. Did NOT expect that to take so long.
But on the plus side, I now know almost exactly how FlxButtons work   Coffee

A gif is probably not needed - it looked like this:
[ON]
[OFF]

Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 02:45:27 AM »

Although i think production line kind of game fits well into isometric/topdown perspective, so that player will have more space to build stuff, i'm actually curious how this game works. Also agree that brighter arrow will be much better, although i must say couple with bigger arrow will make it pop-out more.

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 05:51:58 AM »

Thanks for giving feedback!
I agree - this perspective seems terribly limiting, and I also tried the zelda-ish topdown perspective first.
But I hope something fun can come of this. I like how things look in side-view.

Today i started splitting machines up in type of machines with different sizes and functions.
Left is some sort of mining machine, which produces things from nothing.
Right is some sort of processing machine, that requires input to produce output.

Leon Fook
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 11:32:01 PM »

Thanks for giving feedback!
I agree - this perspective seems terribly limiting, and I also tried the zelda-ish topdown perspective first.
But I hope something fun can come of this. I like how things look in side-view.
I love side view too. Side view does have their own perk, like more control on height than say, isometric. Maybe you can have the production line that start from bottom, then slowly progress to top via elevating conveyor belt/elevator mechanic stuff, then strait to the shipping depot(if this game has it).

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 02:22:16 AM »

Yeah, theres definetly going to be tubes/cranes/lifts to make things go up and down. Maybe you build your factory several stories high, or dig basement levels.
I imagine you get recieve an order for x amount of a specific kind of robots, and automate the production to produce and move everything to the loading dock/storage room/shipping depot.

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 02:27:57 PM »

Just tried making some sort of upward conveyor/lift. It works, but the code is a mess. That'll teach me not to code fueled by wine.

The yellow and red colors are just debug things.

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 12:36:48 PM »

First try at a machine that stamps stuff into shape. Still gotta fix some clipping issues.

And as a bonus, I found out that I have figure out a way to synchronize all conveyor belt animations. It seems that the more things I fix, the more problems appear.  Facepalm

Edit: Fixed it up a bit
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:07:17 PM by Playaction » Logged

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 02:22:18 AM »

Added some graphics for materials, and set up a small production chain test.
Mining pig iron -> smelting to iron bar -> pressing into some sort of iron cylinder -> Packaging in a crate

Also, my streak of daily git commits is now up to 20.
I've promised myself to try to get something done on this every day. Even if it's just half an hour, it feels like it helps to avoid procrastination.

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 06:52:39 AM »

Nnnnnhhhhhh... Now my machine broke  Angry

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 11:36:56 AM »

HELP!

I need some feedback on a name and concept.

My idea for a name : Junkyard Factory or Junkyard Robot Factory

Why: The parts needed for a finished robot are many, and I think motivation will suffer, if players have to play for an hour before actually finishing the first robot. So if they start with a junkyard of parts, they can get started faster by assembling scavenged parts into a crappy robot.
That will probably also mean that the graphics will be made more gritty and dirty.

Please post any thoughts or alternative ideas.  Gentleman

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 02:13:56 PM »

X-Factory. I dunno.

Los awesome though!!

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Leon Fook
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 04:41:54 PM »

Bot Assembly?
Robot Maker?
Bot Maker?
Machinary Manufacture?

Nnnnnhhhhhh... Now my machine broke  Angry

he looks awfully happy though.

danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 05:21:29 PM »

I think the junkyard concept is an interesting game-play addition. With that said Factorio's early game is fun. I enjoy those early moments of manual mining before the first iron plate rolls off the assembly line. The slow start also prevents the player from being overwhelmed.

So if you do go with a junkyard starter pack maybe try something to keep the complexity reasonable. You also don't want players to burn through the stock pile before the game is fun.

Still, I like the idea.

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 01:25:31 AM »

Thanks for all the input.

I litterally laughed out loud at X-Factory... i think the logo will have to be something like
X-FACTORy ... And Simon Cowell would judge every one of your robot creations.

Junkyard Robotics maybe... hmmm...

So if you do go with a junkyard starter pack maybe try something to keep the complexity reasonable. You also don't want players to burn through the stock pile before the game is fun.

That's exactly why I thought of doing this.
I think (hope) a large part of the fun here, will be shipping finished robots, designing new ones and adjusting the factory to the new build.
If you start with 3 steps just to create iron bars, and maybe have 10 more steps before you had a simple robot, that would take a long time to get to the first shipment out the door and getting some sort of reward.

Instead you could scavenge a vacuum cleaner and an old television. Weld that together and BAM - you have your first companion bot in two steps.

The next order for a robot could then require you to manufacture your own robot body casing from scrap iron.

Eventually the scavenge pile will runs out of run out iron and you'll have to produce your own, and you will have to gradually replace your reliance on scavenged parts with manufactured parts. The start producing better quality parts.

Hmmm... maybe I'm just overthinking this.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic