Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:37:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBarony IGF Release (Alpha 2014.10.21)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Barony IGF Release (Alpha 2014.10.21)  (Read 829 times)
SheridanR
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 22, 2014, 01:46:05 PM »

Hello again everybody!

It's that time of year again. Yesterday me and the folks at Turning Wheel released a new version of Barony to coincide with our submission to the IGF competition, and we've made a veritable ton of new changes over our last release. Here's the full changelog:

• submitted to the IGF 2015! stay tuned for that...
  • implemented confusion effect
  • added hunger indicator
  • cream pies do strange things
  • adjusted game classes
  • bleeding to death now impossible (bleeding overall less OP)
  • added several new ingame books (courtesy of our new writer)
  • doors have significantly more health
  • chat length extended hugely
  • added skeleton monster
  • added minotaur monster
  • all game textures updated and improved
  • added ingame Playing Manual
  • fixed readable books not spawning on low dungeon levels
  • rebalanced monster curve
  • added a multitude of new sound effects
  • mines soundtrack redone
  • minimap now delineates between explored and unexplored regions
  • minimap is now bigger
  • added healing spells
  • monsters now make sounds when idle
  • update to several levels
  • added minotaur chase level
  • removed last dungeon area (just for this build)
  • monsters can no longer be starved out : )
  • added leadership ability: right click humans to have them follow you
  • updated shopkeeper dialogue
  • added /levelup console command
  • baron herx (the big bad guy, remember?) has several spoken lines, now!
  • added minotaur timebomb: on some levels, a minotaur may randomly start chasing you
  • magic casting comes with fancy animations now
  • added new story introduction sequence
  • innumerable minor bug fixes and tweaks

As usual, you can download this latest version of the game ERE. If you have any questions or comments about the game, please leave them here!

For those of you who are not familiar with the game:

Barony is a 3D, first-person RPG featuring cooperative multiplayer, dungeon-crawling mechanics, roguelike elements, and real-time action. The goal of the game is to destroy an undead lich named Baron Herx, who terrorized the world above in a previous life and is now holding out in a vast subterranean complex known as the Devil's Bastion. The game fully supports cooperative multiplayer for up to four players, meaning you can experience this adventure by yourself or with a few friends over LAN or the internet.

A (somewhat old) gameplay video which should give you an idea of what the game is about can be seen here:

Note that this video doesn't include many of the changes we've crammed into this latest release, so if you're at all curious, please be sure to give the actual game a shot before you knock it! (Though we crave feedback of all kinds, so as always, do not hold back if you feel something is worth criticizing)

Thanks for your time, and enjoy!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:02:06 PM by SheridanR » Logged

ActionGamemaster
Level 0

I fight frogs regularly

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 06:54:17 AM »

You fucking piece of shit why did you create a new topic for this
Why did I only know this now by randomly going to TIG Source fucking duck
When are you going to send automated e-mails when the game gets updates, I waited for this shit

In all seriousness, glad to see you fixed/added stuff I pointed out, like "added hunger indicator", "adjusted game classes", "bleeding to death now impossible (bleeding overall less OP)", "added several new ingame books (courtesy of our new writ-" wait hold on. Speaking of these books. The game doesn't pause when I read books. This is a big problem, since I can get hungry while reading about the "5 assholes with a job, one of them is a fatass" book, or I can get attacked by goblins skeletons while reading "This book is supposed to be about goblins, but I'm really just advertising my shitty perfume" book. They are great books, but they literally are nothing but some weight and a way to get hungry while doing nothing, if you think about ACTUAL gains. Also, the manual and journal you get from the start should have no weight. I already get about 3 torches when I start the game, so why should I add more and more stuff to do just to start the game, like throwing away books.

"doors have significantly more health" why

"chat length extended hugely" what about the inventory size? pls

"all game textures updated and improved" I like the new look. It is different, the old art style was more smooth, while this is more sharp. I think you should either  leave it at that, or just add more blocks and texture resolution when the game gets bigger.

"magic casting comes with fancy animations now" AAUUUGHH MY EYES! Was my first reaction to the new animation. It's really gleamy and the hands take up all the screen. I know that it's to get rid of the magic missile spam OPness, but first, you can make the anim more subtle, like, a hand slowly waving in the bottom corner of the screen, second, the magic animation is unnecessary for Light and Identify spells. Both aren't used in combat, so it would be better to just make them have some sound effects rather than THE OH GOD MY EYES (I did get used to it eventually, but it's not the best animation ever, even so).

"added /levelup console command" Oh. Thanks. I am not going to use that to cheat. No, why I never. *does it* I'M SO FAST AAAAH

"baron herx (the big bad guy, remember?) has several spoken lines, now!" His second line sounds stupid, especially the laugh. The first one is okay, and I don't remember the rest of them.

Anyways, I really liked how I can actually beat one of the first dungeons, and how everything is more balanced(expect for that /levelup). Also I never know when this game gets updated.

I'm doing a game thingie here:
ActionGamemaster
SheridanR
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »

There are lots of ways you can be automatically reminded when our game updates - for example, follow our Twitter, subscribe to the RSS feed on our Devblog, watch our page on indiedb, etc.

We may add bonuses to reading books ala Elder Scrolls just to give them "practical" gameplay value but we don't want to pause the game when you're reading for two reasons: one, it would mess with the multiplayer side of things, and two, the books are (for the most part) not extraordinarily long, and we don't consider it a great loss if you have to eat a little bit of food to read a couple of the books all in one sitting.

Okay, maybe we should add an option to allow you to skip spawning with those books - I personally don't consider it too big of an issue, since it weighs you down but there is some benefit in for example keeping the books anyway and selling them for gold in a shop. But I fundamentally agree that the game should be fast to get into without messing around in the inventory screen at the beginning.

Doors have significantly more health now because previously it rendered lockpicks and other key items pretty much useless in terms of saving time and stuff. It also makes it a lot harder to escape through a locked door from a monster than before, which to me adds more possibility for fun in the game.

The inventory size will definitely be improved in a further update. We've promised this before, and it's still true, but the whole GUI needs to be redone and we plan on getting to that eventually.

magic casting animation
Hahaha, okay, the magic animation will be revised in the next release. I guarantee you that.

/levelup command
Yeah, Ciprian (other programmer on our team) added the /levelup command just for testing purposes. Of course you can also abuse it for profit in the game, and we'll probably add massive score penalties or something for that in the future. Tongue

bad voice acting
Sorry about that. We don't really have a voice actor who can do this stuff real justice yet - but it's thematically and mechanically important for the game, so I stuck it in anyways. Also, you probably didn't notice this, but the exact contents of each line are randomized, so for example the laugh sounds different each time. You may have heard one of the worse laugh samples - though there are no guarantees for that. Hahaha.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic