Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:28:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF 2015 - Who's signing up?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: IGF 2015 - Who's signing up?  (Read 4524 times)
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »

Correct, it's human nature for judges to upvote games they have financial and personal interests in winning. Hence why they should not be judges except it just keeps on happening over and over at the expense of honest developers.

Shame on you all who condone this.
What are you trying to suggest, making the judging process all computer? Maybe we can ask clever bot or siri or whatever to take over the process because they're not human.

Actually did anyone who enter igf come from other part of the world, like in asia? I know there's igf china but let just say that i'm not living in us or any place near it and i wanna know how much it will cost me if, say, i wanna enter like 3years from now.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 10:52:06 PM »

Entering the IGF doesn't seem like wise way to spend my money or time. I certainly don't make the kind of games that win and the heard the feedback not great :/

I feel the same way about it.
Nope, nothing to say. Just showing solidarity.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2014, 03:25:23 AM »

regarding that edmund/tommy podcast transcript posted earlier, i want to point out that the opposite was *also* a frequent criticism of the igf -- that it gives awards to games that *don't* need the fame or money, such as minecraft, which won the igf and most of the igf awards during the year it entered, and many people felt it shouldn't have won because notch was already a multi-millionaire and it didn't really need more money or attention. so it basically goes both ways

in any case, the igf is nowhere near as important as it once was, because with the advent of kickstarter and greenlight and the steam curation system, with with many smaller shows like indiecade, indie games don't need to win huge contests like the igf to be recognized anymore. at one point in time you basically *had* to be at least an igf finalist to even get on steam, but that's not the case any more. so enter it if you want, but it's no longer a huge deal to enter it, it's more of the academy awards of indie games now rather than something that actually matters

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2014, 05:14:26 AM »

I'm signing up! First time submitter.
Feeling nauseous. Not confident at all, but relieved.
Here's my trailer:

I actually love the idea of this, I think the judges will dig it.
Not sure if you have thought of this already, but the game looks like it would be very entertaining to have a multiplayer.
It would have the physics chaos thing going for it like LBP or Gang Beasts

desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2014, 09:48:30 AM »

I'm signing up! First time submitter.
Feeling nauseous. Not confident at all, but relieved.
Here's my trailer:

I actually love the idea of this, I think the judges will dig it.
Not sure if you have thought of this already, but the game looks like it would be very entertaining to have a multiplayer.
It would have the physics chaos thing going for it like LBP or Gang Beasts

Thank you.
Yes, i actually thought about multiplayer. But to be honest i don't think i have the resources or knowledge to do it. But it's something i have in the back of my mind and if the possibility arises, i'll do it.

Given this is a slow paced game (you spend a lot of time with the game "paused" just moving limbs around), i was thinking how could I add multiplayer. One thought was to have stages:
1.- Posing stage (each player has X seconds to prepare poses and prepares the next Y seconds)
2.- Merging stage (all players movements are simulated together and the result is played to everyone).
3.- Repeat from 1.
4.- At the end of the match, repeat the full movie for everyone to see.

I wasn't sure about this approach, because i thought it might be too slow, since X has to be much larger than Y.
But then I saw the multiplayer in

(awesome game, btw), and they use this kind of approach, and works beautiful. So I think i will take that route too.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2014, 02:29:36 PM »

rj: Posts:    953 (15.883 per day)
c.a.: 18666 (10.014 per day)
me:     19429 (6.954 per day)

basically at this rate, c.a. will pass me in less than a year, and rj will pass both of us and take first place in 3 years

According to my calculations:

c.a. passes रिंकू: 249 days (1 year)

(18666+10.014*days = 19429+6.954*days)

rj passes रिंकू: 2069 days (6 years)

(953+15.883*days = 19429+6.954*days)

rj passes c.a.: 3018 days (8 years)

(953+15.883*days = 18666+10.014*days)

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »

basically if you crack 2.0 a day i think you're a dork.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2014, 03:00:47 PM »

i am, in fact, a big huge dork

Dragonmaw
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2014, 05:36:09 PM »

i like how every nerd coming in with igf conspiracy theories can't tell the difference between a judge and juror.

nice try, folks. give it another go when you've actually read the igf process.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2014, 01:48:12 AM »

All judging processes are somewhat tinted. ALL of them. And when people don't like them, they just fire away at them, dragging other people to the bush.

That gamergate idiocy, that I did not fully comprehend (what? is that even possible?) is something like that, maybe? People anus-hurt complaining because no one loves them or their creations?

OT: I wouldn't ever sign up for IGF, mainly because of fear of being ignored by the competition and lack of faith of getting anything worthwhile from it. And the money, of course.

Yeah.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2014, 02:00:59 AM »

Here's a fully comprehensive diagram of GamerGate for you:

eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2014, 02:19:06 AM »

That makes a lot of sense, actually.

Yeah.
Danny Hayes
Level 1

An Indie developer, co-Creator of PONCHO!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 01:52:39 AM »

The entrants went public today... all 639 of them.  Shocked

http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entries2015.php

I'm guessing "hyper light drifter" has the visual award in the bag?

Randomasta
Level 1

wait, what?

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2014, 02:59:31 AM »

Only 17 entries down from last year, that's pretty impressive given all the debacles that has appeared lately
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2014, 04:16:19 AM »

I believe that those debacles were product of a very few developers/negativists that were unable to convince many people, where the people at large see the positive side of IGF, making the debacle fade away into obscurity.

Until the results are in, that is.

Yeah.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2014, 07:17:38 PM »

it's too bad i can't talk about the entries because there are some really surprisingly great games this year that i didn't expect at all
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2014, 04:06:23 AM »

i like how every nerd coming in with igf conspiracy theories can't tell the difference between a judge and juror.

everyone knows dragonmaw is judge jury and executioner in one
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »

All judging processes are somewhat tinted. ALL of them. And when people don't like them, they just fire away at them, dragging other people to the bush.

That gamergate idiocy, that I did not fully comprehend (what? is that even possible?) is something like that, maybe? People anus-hurt complaining because no one loves them or their creations?

OT: I wouldn't ever sign up for IGF, mainly because of fear of being ignored by the competition and lack of faith of getting anything worthwhile from it. And the money, of course.

Just want to point out there is a large difference between "I think all judges are corrupt arseholes" and "I don't think it's wise to enter because the competition doesn't seem to like the kind of games I produce"

Like for the most part I make games that generally stay in genre conventions and from what I've seen in the past that doesn't seem to bode to well in the IGF and while I don't generally like it I can totally understand. I just don't think I need to sink $100 and get myself in an agitated state over a competition I'm very likely won't get much attention in. If this changes in the future I will change my mind and enter until then I'II just watch from the sidelines.

Life sucks and then you die.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »

The entrants went public today... all 639 of them.  Shocked

actually visual awards don't go to the most impressive visuals, they tend to go to the most "artsy" visuals (stylistic, trying new things, often just a bunch of abstract lines and colors). just look at the history of the visual award to see what i mean

Dragonmaw
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2014, 06:02:13 PM »

everyone knows dragonmaw is judge jury and executioner in one

i AM the igf

The entrants went public today... all 639 of them.  Shocked

actually visual awards don't go to the most impressive visuals, they tend to go to the most "artsy" visuals (stylistic, trying new things, often just a bunch of abstract lines and colors). just look at the history of the visual award to see what i mean

actually, if you look, the igf jury tends to have a selection that represents various major art styles. here's a pixel art game, here's a 3d game, here's an experimental game, here's a minimalist game, etc.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic