Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:21:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to Get a Game Rating in South Korea (GRAC)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to Get a Game Rating in South Korea (GRAC)  (Read 3384 times)
btester2
Level 0

Discover Elysia.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 23, 2014, 01:52:00 AM »

Hey all,

Ben Tester here from Wales Interactive! I'm calling on anyone who has any advice for getting their games rated in South Korea. The GRAC (Formally GRB) has this website: http://www.grb.or.kr/english/process/processCase1.aspx which shows the process in English but doesn't actually provide you with the submission form or contact details to get one. The only 'contact' details they provide is a map of the office in Korea... Not very helpful if you don't live in Korea obviously.

I found this tip from the Windows Blog for submitting apps:

"Korea requires all games to be rated using the GRAC system (formerly GRB). To obtain it, follow the process described in the GRB site. If you are not from Korea, you’ll require a local representative in Korea in order to request the rating."

Has anyone had experience with finding a local representative to get a game rating?

Any advice is appreciated  Wizard

Cheers
Ben

Ben Tester
Wales Interactive

Facebook | Twitter | Website

vVv Check Out Soul Axiom vVv
Bada Im
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 08:09:09 AM »

hi. i'm korean. and game translator.
Korean laws dictate all the video games translated into Korean language should be rated to the GRAC. But it was not able to steam games before something happened.
Recently, some congressman in Korea, claims this should apply to all the games on Steam.
It is ironic, games what korean support can not sales to korean without rating.
and it's very high price. minimum 360 USD+. (it's minimum. example, almost RPG is 1000USD+) Sad
so, i advice that do not service korean your game. yeah. it's fu**in happened.
but if you want rating your game, i'll help you.

INDIE TRANSLATOR
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 03:17:51 PM »

Actually the site makes it look like any game that can be accessed from Korea must be rated, period. Which is kind of the problem with these kinds of laws, they completely ignore the fact that thanks to internet you can distribute a game pretty much everywhere in the world without having a physical presence, merely by the fact of being on-line (and it's the default situation so you don't even have to try, restricting by country is actually a lot harder).

Mind you, I recall Australia trying this as well, to the point that they'd threaten to block sites that distribute games without a rating in Australia even if the developer has never actively tried to get the games there (no idea if it went anywhere, though).
Bada Im
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 04:29:55 PM »

Actually the site makes it look like any game that can be accessed from Korea must be rated, period. Which is kind of the problem with these kinds of laws, they completely ignore the fact that thanks to internet you can distribute a game pretty much everywhere in the world without having a physical presence, merely by the fact of being on-line (and it's the default situation so you don't even have to try, restricting by country is actually a lot harder).

Mind you, I recall Australia trying this as well, to the point that they'd threaten to block sites that distribute games without a rating in Australia even if the developer has never actively tried to get the games there (no idea if it went anywhere, though).

Yes, and korea game rating laws are very crazy. if you have your own game for PC and Mobile and PS4, and if you want service this game for korea, you have to rated your game PC and PS4 version.
But, Mobile has Self-classification law. it don't need any cost. it's very ironic. if your game is 100% same both PC version and Mobile, you have to just rated PC version. it need to changed.

INDIE TRANSLATOR
erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »

This is pretty funny, and them blocking the site could be gotten around by a proxy in literally two seconds.  I'm sure if they block Steam that is exactly what will happen.

I'd like to see South Korea try to 'sue' Valve ? I imagine they wouldn't even respond right? Or if they did it would just be to say "your not in our jurisdiction therefore have no say, thanks for playing, bye now , kkthx" or something in legalese.

Infernohawke Entertainment
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic