Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:01:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDog Duty - Distopic Action Commandos Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dog Duty - Distopic Action Commandos Game  (Read 1864 times)
hgvaz
Level 0

2D/3D Artist at Behold Studios

View Profile WWW
« on: October 23, 2014, 07:13:18 PM »

Hello everyone at TIGForums!  Wink

My name is Hugo Vaz, I work at Behold Studios and I've worked on Knights of Pen and Paper (published by Paradox) and working on Chroma Squad (funded on Kickstarter).

I'm here to show to the indie developers community a project that I'm working on with other friends from "Zanardi & Liza" since august 2014. It's called Dog Duty and it's about toy soldiers in a distopic post apocalyptic wasteland, mostly inspired by GiJoe figures and MadMax.

In Dog Duty you're able to to select the soldiers, define their targets and use special habilities when its the best time. Also you must maintain your vehicle in the road or else you'll lose speed to reach the main objective.

We're only beginning the development but we want to make a open world game where you can explore and blow up stuff. The future features are new kinds of enemies, new characters, new missions and new combat mechanics to create some emergent situations for the player. Also we have a facebook page, like it if you want to receive updates from there Beer!

Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:25:22 PM »

I'm a little bit confused, am i to control the driving and positioning of the soldier, or am i controling only the soldier/driving?

Otherwise, i'm intrigued, and also curious how is the spining seal fit into this game. Hand Thumbs Up Right

hgvaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 05:19:12 AM »

Hi Leon, At the moment we have the first mission where you can control the characters only, but you can tell them where to move or what to attack (similar to Battlehearts for mobile) and even where to use their special habilities, like granade, super healing or traps.

The truck has an AI that tries to keep it in the road, but the enemies can push you to the sides and then you lose speed. This was a choice we made to add secondary objectives and not just watch the characters do the job, but change your strategy to use the mechanics on your side. So explosions, velocity, chain reactions and taking cover will be an important part of the game.

About the seal, ermmmm...

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 05:24:56 AM »

This look awesome! Makes me wanna do a co-op/versus shooter with a similar theme of fighting atop speeding vehicles Hand Thumbs Up Right

Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 06:03:18 AM »

Hi Leon, At the moment we have the first mission where you can control the characters only, but you can tell them where to move or what to attack (similar to Battlehearts for mobile) and even where to use their special habilities, like granade, super healing or traps.

The truck has an AI that tries to keep it in the road, but the enemies can push you to the sides and then you lose speed. This was a choice we made to add secondary objectives and not just watch the characters do the job, but change your strategy to use the mechanics on your side. So explosions, velocity, chain reactions and taking cover will be an important part of the game.

About the seal, ermmmm...
that clear thing up a lot. i though the player have to do both driving and commanding. that will be total chaos(if i'm the one playing it).

Zimbres
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 06:23:01 PM »

Hello everybody!

I'm Zimbres, programmer on Dog Duty, and I would like to share some baby steps on the game development.
The game is being developed on Unity3d, using c#. For the character walk/pathfinding, I've built a system from scratch, based on A*, to do the work. Basically, I do shoot some rays on the main game area, and I do use the hit responses to generate a tiled map for later use.

I'm still figuring out what I will do when dealing with multiple troops marching and searching for player soldiers on the player's base. I've did a quick solution on the Desert Road, but it's not very flexible...
pxloto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 07:22:38 PM »

I'm reeeeeally anticipating this game. Way to go, dude! ;-)
EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 07:23:21 PM »

game looks really good, interesting mechanics too, following this  Coffee
hgvaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 08:15:33 AM »

Hello guys, Grin I'm here to share my modeling and texturing process with you throught these videos:

I hope you like it!

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 03:32:43 PM »

I want this in my life and in my body.

Zimbres
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 05:29:49 AM »

Hello again! Here I am with another small update.
We're testing steering to control the enemies flow. Here on this .gif Im using separation on soldiers, and separation on soldier vs walls/heights. To the path, I'm currently using somekind of a hard-coded "flow field". It's somekind of pre-generated path, in steering format.

The result in action:

I do hope to get a better mix of A* with steering in the future...
Zimbres
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 01:12:56 PM »

Long time no see hum? We've been working on Dog Duty, focused on some game design questions that comes with an attempt to do a squad combat in real time, with a very limited screen.

Anyway, as screenshots and .gifs are one of the best delights of Tigsource, I would like to say a long time hello with a screenshot update:
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 05:41:18 PM »

this is so cool. New portraits are awesome !
hgvaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 06:25:32 AM »

So long TIG Source Community!We have a BIG UPDATE

The game has grown up so much I can`t choose where to start. Let`s see...

-The game went from a linear arcade structure to a open world exploration game.
-Now includes action outside the vehicles
-The previous road combats were mantained as events at the roads, and you can act offensively or defensively before engaging the combat.
-You unlock characters by searching for the throught the world
-You can customize your squad with new members, weapons and equipment
-The gameplay was set towards the RTS, you can move the camera and select multiple characters.
-You can customize the vehicles with turrets and use them anywhere, even while traveling
-We plan to work on giant machines as bosses, beatable by foot or truck.

CHECK THE VIDEO!

VOTE FOR US ON GREENLIGHT
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735944862

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic