Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 11:38:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDragonMaze, n64 old school adventure platformer demo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DragonMaze, n64 old school adventure platformer demo  (Read 1256 times)
FelineArts
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:17:58 PM »

Hello everyone, my name is Lune and im a developer at www.felinearts.net, we used to be 2 developers some time ago but right now its just me, (ill explain that later if its required).

i am doing this post to share with you a demo of "Dragon Maze" a n64 old school platformer for PC, OUYA and PS vita, hope we can get more licences for other consoles.

brief description of the project:
Your goal is to save your sister from the evil "Klaw Gang", a band of wolves who capture and sell exotic creatures. Before each level you will be able to equip an item to make your quest easier, traveling through different worlds such as a forest, mountains, swamp, mines and a volcano.

We are currently looking for Steam Greenlight exposure so please feel free to play this 15 level demo (link provided bellow). For veteran gamers I recommend starting on World 3.

Key Features:
*Old school controller, simple but fun (timing and precision are king).
*Fresh levels, each world and level has new mechanics.
*Beautiful toon environment.
*Small but fun levels.
*Upgradeable hidden Skills! (not available in the demo provided below).

Release Date: End of 2015
Price: from 8 to 15 USD
Platform: PC, Mac, OUYA, PS VITA (we want to add Nintendo 3DS too but still no good news for that platform).

and for last, here is the demo link download, it is hosted in a dropbox acount and has basic game analytics such as playtime and number of deaths per level in case the firewall pops out.

Demo Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptzusy3sx5xm6b2/DMPressDemo.rar?dl=0

Thank you and hope you like the demo! of course feedback is 100% welcome
debugchicken
Level 1

Out of the sky, into the dirt.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 01:21:08 PM »

I'll play some more but here are some thoughts already:

Why can't I customize to my non-xbox controller? You are using unity that has a built-in Input system, and you let this a total mess, there is like 100 entries there. I really would like to customize the buttons the way I want.. the name of the entries could indicate the button action (Dash/Roll) instead of using the default "Fire1"...

Also, the walk animation is floaty, the character looks like he is slipping. Falling from a huge altitude is a bit weird too, becase you can move onto a wall in order to resist falling, and then you keep falling and stopping on every wall you hit.

It don't really remember N64 when playing this game. Its low poly and stilyzed, but its not N64-Lowpoly-Stilyzed. Also the camera point of view is not the camera most open-world N64 3D-lowpoly stylized had. Not that this is actually a problem, but was not what I was expecting.

I got a Crash ( the game just closed, on the fourth level )

When I die, the transition lets a small space on the right portion.

When I'm using the dash, if there is a upper-level terrain in the way, I don't see the HUD on the floor.

On the bright side, the 3D is really neat.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 02:13:25 PM »

mirrorlink made some good points.

I also didn't get an "N64" or "old-school" feel from it (more of a 3DS or iOS feeling), but I mostly liked the graphics and gameplay.

Is there any way to kill the enemies? In level...2, I think, there's an enemy with a shield on one side. I dashed into the unshielded side and still got hurt so that whole "only one side is shielded" thing seemed a bit misleading.

I played through Very Easy and then jumped to Very Hard and played a level and a half of that. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but that's all right. I did like the level design quite a bit.

I liked the music, but there were a lot of sounds that felt like they were missing: rolling sounds, a "just got hurt" sound, maybe some fanfare when you beat a level, etc. Missing all those things makes the game feel a bit lifeless even though the graphics are nice.

In terms of controls, I thought it felt fine but I disliked that I could move with the dash because that just made it take longer for me to realize I could charge it. I also really hated that I had the thumbstick was what controlled whether or not actions took place (like dashing or stopping a roll) rather than just letting me perform/stop an action by releasing the corresponding button. It's possible to get used to it, but I found that it felt imprecise.

I had a decent time with this game. It's got some nice graphics and models, and enjoyable, varied gameplay.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
FelineArts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »

thanks a lot for all the constructive feedback! actually, of all the places where i have shown the demo this page is where i have got more constructive feedback and that is lovely <3.

now let me answer some question and feedback got here:

-not getting n64 feeling
i got a bit excited when making the art and i have improved it about 3 times now, i can say that the art of the game would be imposible in n64, should i take off that feature then? i say n64 but refering myself more for the gameplay style and the use of animal characters in an adventure, i totally miss that kind of games. The end graphics looks a lot better, not n64, but i think it goes with the game style.

-sounds
sounds are placeholders right now, even the dash sound is a power up from super mario rpg, of course i will change that  Wink

-customizing controls
sorry for the mess in the input configuration, the first ODK (ouya development kit) put all those inputs  Sad but i had never tough about making the input customizable, i will work on that but as an screen inside the game, i loved that idea <3, in the end game unity pop up configurator will not display.

-dash control.
i do not get this feedbck at all, if you could explain a bit more i could work in whatever that made you feel uncomfortable with the roll/dash controll. As far as i remember you can not move while charging dash, if you could, that was a bug, there is a bug where you walk and the character flashes but its just a bug.

-animations
animations have already been improved =3.

-transition space
already fixed =3.

once again thanks a lot for all the feedback, i will be uploading a newer version within a month or two, meanwhile i will be checking other games and giving feedback, this is a great place!.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 11:13:15 AM »

-dash control.
i do not get this feedbck at all, if you could explain a bit more i could work in whatever that made you feel uncomfortable with the roll/dash controll. As far as i remember you can not move while charging dash, if you could, that was a bug, there is a bug where you walk and the character flashes but its just a bug.

Ok. Yeah, I can't seem to reproduce it anymore.

One thing I just noticed while attempting that is how terrible the keyboard controls are. U and I? Those are very strange keys to use. Also, it says "Press X to Continue" when on keyboard that's not what you have to press. I found it annoying that I couldn't use the mouse or arrow keys to navigate menus. I really feel like the game is better suited to an Arrows+Z+X sort of setup like many indie games (although maybe not Z for AZERTY keyboards). WASD just feels wrong to me for a game without mouse aiming.

FelineArts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 01:08:13 PM »

One thing I just noticed while attempting that is how terrible the keyboard controls are. U and I? Those are very strange keys to use. Also, it says "Press X to Continue" when on keyboard that's not what you have to press.

you are right, i will change it to "press any button to begin", also, if i will program a controller customization page, there should be no problem =3 or what do you think?
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 02:02:53 PM »

you are right, i will change it to "press any button to begin", also, if i will program a controller customization page, there should be no problem =3 or what do you think?

That sounds good to me, but I think it's still important to make sure that the default controls will feel comfortable and intuitive to most players whether or not they can be customized.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 03:21:16 PM »

Yeah, I agree with the stuff that's been said so far.  Not really very N64ish due to the camera angle and level design style (N64 platformers tended to have fairly large open levels).

The game could use a lot more player feedback.  Sounds, screenshake and animations for when you hit walls or take damage.  Also the character should have a shadow underneath him, since there were times when he was off the ground and I lost track of his exact position. 

The enemy with a shield on the side immediately made me think that it could be killed by rolling into it from the other side.  So much so that I tried multiple times with both the roll and the dash. 

FelineArts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 03:57:33 PM »

thanks for all the answers, i agree with most of the feedback got here and i will be working to apply it!, also i will begin a devlog here. =3
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic