Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:57:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Journey Down: Chapter Three
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Journey Down: Chapter Three  (Read 1426 times)
Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2014, 03:09:44 AM »

Hey guys,

My name's theo, I'm one of the three swedes that make up the SkyGoblin team, makers of the point n click adventure series "The Journey Down" on Steam (Pc, Mac, Linux) as well as iOS. We recently launched the second game in the series and are currently working on the third and final part, which I hope to be writing about here in this thread. Smiley

About The Journey Down

I don't see a lot of point 'n' clicks around these parts, so I realize this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but here's to hoping that someone here is curious at least. Smiley If you're a fan of the point 'n' click genre, you'll probably feel quite at home with TJD. It has often been described as a mix of monkey island and grim fandango, which in my ears is praise that I take very dearly.

Following are a couple of sketches for some of the environments of the game. The entire thing will not be taking place in this city environment, but it'll be a fairly large part of the experience. While the previous game was set in more of a 40's film-noirish setting, the third game has more of a retrofuturistic 80's action movie feel to it. Smiley

tech

As with the two previous games in the series, the game runs on our own home grown engine Gobby, and is put together in our own editor GobEd. For anyone curious, you can read up on our tech over here.

The game's backdrop art is generally hand painted in photoshop, with a couple pre-rendered 3d bits thrown in, such as animated water, cars, smoke, etc. The characters are modeled, animated and rendered in maya.

schedule

With a little bit of luck, sales from TJD1 and TJD2 will keep on trickling in at a good enough pace to allow us focus entirely on TJD3 development. If this is the case however, remains to be seen. If we are able to put pretty much all of our time into it, I'm hoping for a TJD3 launch early 2016, but again, at this point it's too early to tell. Though we have come quite far with the game's story plot and design, actual production of the game has barely begun, not to mention the fact that the characters still need to be designed, written, cast etc. etc. We have a lot of fun work ahead of us. Smiley

music

As with the previous two games, the music in TJD3 will be a very big part of the experience. For TJD1 and most of TJD2 we we're lucky enough to work together with Simon D'souza, an incredibly talented jazz musician, who sadly passed away this year. Fortunately however, he helped us find Jamie Salisbury who he recommended to wrap up the TJD2 soundtrack. Jamie will definitely be the musician we will be going for in TJD3.

Lemme know your thoughts on what we've got so far, and if you've played the previous games in the series, please make some noise, I love player feedback and I love ranting about the game and its development. Smiley

Thanks for checking this out. I'll be back with more pics and info as we progress in development!  Beer!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:35:26 AM by Skygoblin » Logged

Currently developing The Journey Down: Chapter Three
Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:35:31 AM »

Some vehicle sketches:

Going for a lot more of a 80's action movie design on our vehicles this time around. Gone are the gangster-movie type vehicles.

And here's a character sketch. A TV network reporter. still without name. She'll become quite pivotal to the plot, so we'll be seeing a lot more of her. Smiley

Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:33:19 AM »

Started doing some rough 3d modelling on some of the vehicles... Here are a couple test renders. Smiley

This is a standard Armando PD squad car. We'll be seeing a lot of these in TJD3. It's essentially a mashup of typical North American cop cars from the eighties. A little bit of Chevy caprice/impala and some ford crown victoria. Really sets the tone, I believe. Smiley

Here's the Armando News Network van. We'll be seeing this a lot as well. One of the major characters in TJD3 is a rogue ANN news anchor.

And here's another environment sketch. This time made more or less entirely in 3d. It definitely needs a paintjob, but it's getting there...

Visually that's all I've got to show for now.

We're making great progress on the puzzle and story design, got one of the biggest acts pretty much wrapped already. (Though got tons of dialogue left to write, practically all of it.. But still, great progress.)

Thanks for dropping by. Smiley

t

EpicVesselGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »

This is one to watch. Great game and great to see you guys here!

Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 08:20:29 AM »

Thanks man! I really appreciate the support. :D

I'll mostly be working with very rough sketches this coming period so won't really have anything shiny to show off for quite a while. But I can report that we've just started settling into a new office (sharing it with some other devs so keeping the costs down). So it's a new phase in our company's history.

We had a cheap ass office for a couple years and then we upgraded to a fancyass office downtown Gothenbug, which we also had for a couple years, then the money ran out and we were without office for quite a while, and now we're back physically working together again, albeit only part time. Feels great!

So, work-wise we're still at the story and script stage where we're basically just bloating the hell out of the game and creating a hella unrealistic design. Next phase will be consolidating it all into something doable. Smiley

Peace out!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic