Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:09:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThere Was A Caveman... [Out on Steam]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: There Was A Caveman... [Out on Steam]  (Read 46224 times)
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2014, 03:35:42 AM »

Hello!
Im starting to make a game which I always wanted to make. An action platformer with exploration, power ups, bunch of bosses etc. The title of the game is not final, it's just something I quickly came up with, so if you got any suggestions how I could name the game - go ahead! Wink

There Was A Caveman..
New Trailer -

The setting is the dinosaur age, the 'last' living caveman, one day decided that he doesn't want to die alone, and so with what little hope he had left, he ventured out of his caves, in a search for other living cavemen. Hoping for a female specimen, ofcourse.. But the dinosaur's have overtaken the world, and he hasn't seen a living person for a very long time..
So basically there you are - the caveman dude trying to find other cavemen.

Steam page http://store.steampowered.com/app/407290/
Twitter - @ThereWasCaveman
Website - http://therewasacaveman.weebly.com

Default Controls -
Left and Right arrow - Movement
Up arrow - climb up vines
Down arrow - jump down the platforms and climb down vines
Z - Hit
X - Jump
C - Dash
S - Throw
But you should probably change keybinds in options!

Newest gifs of the game -

If you try it out, please report any bugs you find!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:14:34 AM by aamatniekss » Logged

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 06:54:42 AM »

Did some more work on the game.
Implemented life system.
Attacking enemies now stops their movement for a while and colours them red, also made a turtle death animation. Taking damage from enemies, spikes and other hazards, reduces life by 1 and makes character invulnerable for 1 second.
Here's a gif -
http://i.imgur.com/cwZAFR8.gif
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:49:49 AM by aamatniekss » Logged

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 02:31:50 PM »

Like the look! (Woo action platfomers!) I didn't get very far. Getting stuck in the pit is a bit turnoff. Dash button seems awkwardly place. Any details on what you plan to do further with the game?

Four Realms. Action RPG. Platformer. Animals.
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 01:26:05 AM »

Like the look! (Woo action platfomers!) I didn't get very far. Getting stuck in the pit is a bit turnoff. Dash button seems awkwardly place. Any details on what you plan to do further with the game?

Thanks, the looks will be improved a lot, right now it's kinda empty. Wink
Hmm, you can easily jump out of the pit even if you fall into it. The game has variable jumping and double jump if you press jump key while in air. And the variable jumping works for both, the simple jump and double jump. So everything is in timing, the longer you hold the jump button, the higher you jump. The pit is made in a way that there's 2 ways to get over it - with a simple double jump or a dash + jump. Wink
I'll probably change the button configuration, got any suggestions? Smiley
Well the game is going to be something similar to Castlevania, Metroid, Megaman, The Flintstones(on Sega). Well I know there are a LOT of action platformers with metroidvania style, but this is just something I've always wanted to make. There won't be levels, just one huge world to explore probably.
I plan to do a ton of bosses. Like seriously a ton of bosses, I've got a thing for bosses.. I even had the idea, of making it like, every single enemy you meet is basically a boss. But I don't know about that, we will see.. Wink

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 08:46:05 AM »

Hello, todays update -
This time I improved the visuals quite a bit. Added some particle effects here and there and some decorations around the map. Smiley And a temporary icon, notifying you that your dash is on cooldown.
I also finally made a background for the game. Im ussually pretty bad with backgrounds, but this one turned out quite fine, I guess.
I made that helicopter double jump thingy, It looks kinda weird, but I'll try to improve it. Smiley
And finally I coded climbing mechanics. Now we can climb around vines!
P.S all the visual part of the game is still not final, i'll try and improve everything more when the game nears completion. Wink
Here's a .gif! Just keep in mind it's not running at full game speed.

http://i.imgur.com/ze1DWEi.gif

I also updated the main post with the new demo, and if you try it out, please give me your feedback and report any bugs you find. Wink Oh and please do give me some suggestions on how I could name the game!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:50:33 AM by aamatniekss » Logged

hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 09:29:12 AM »

I just played the demo. It looks nice and I think it controls well. Nice inclusion of that first spike pit, which forced me to figure out that I could double jump. I know you mentioned that the visual aspects of the game are still not final, but my only real complaint at the moment is that his idle animation is weird. I like the part when he checks his club but during the other portion, his shoulders bounce up and down way too quickly. But really, that's about it. Nice work!

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 01:53:01 PM »

I just played the demo. It looks nice and I think it controls well. Nice inclusion of that first spike pit, which forced me to figure out that I could double jump. I know you mentioned that the visual aspects of the game are still not final, but my only real complaint at the moment is that his idle animation is weird. I like the part when he checks his club but during the other portion, his shoulders bounce up and down way too quickly. But really, that's about it. Nice work!
Hey, thanks a lot for trying it out! Smiley I'll see what I can do about the idle animation. Wink By the way, did you notice the sprites sometimes flickering? Or is it only for me? Or maybe im just too focused on all the flaws..

hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 02:16:32 PM »

Hey, thanks a lot for trying it out! Smiley I'll see what I can do about the idle animation. Wink By the way, did you notice the sprites sometimes flickering? Or is it only for me? Or maybe im just too focused on all the flaws..

No, I didn't any flickering whatsoever. Wish I could help you there. For the idle animation, maybe just try slowing it down. It might look better that way.

Tyro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 05:18:43 PM »

I played the demo and this seems like it has potential to be really fun. I hope you keep working on it. I'm a big fan of prehistory setting; there's a lot you can do with it level trope-wise (swamps, volcanic areas, arctic areas, etc.)

I didn't notice any sprite flickering either, but I'll be sure to play through later builds and see if there's any. Keep at it!

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 09:56:05 PM »

Hmm, ok that's weird, guess it's just me who notices it, because i've been staring at everything for a long time.. :D

And Tyro, im glad you liked it! Smiley I'll try to work on this as much as I can. Smiley

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »

Here's another little update -

Made some kind of menu thingy, this is very WIP, It's just something for now. Wink And im still trying to figure out how to name this game -

http://i.imgur.com/2oXxgEq.gif

And I made a new dinosaur, It's supposedly a velociraptor, which chases you down and bites you, once you get too close to it. Once you hit it, it will run to the otherside for a little bit, and if it bites you it will run away for a second, too. Making the fight a little more tactical. Smiley If you don't get too close to it, it will just mind his own business and not be bothered by you. -

http://i.imgur.com/1HOZlCU.gif

Here's an upscaled view of the dinosaur's animation. Smiley

And I also actually started working on the real world map, too. And made a few more minor additions to the game. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:50:12 AM by aamatniekss » Logged

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 01:27:41 PM »

Looks really cool! Only one thing that comes to my mind is if it wouldn't look better if the dinasour bobbed with its head just a pixel up and down. I'm not sure if it would look good since it's so small character but maybe you could give it a try if you want.
Either way, keep it up, looks really nice Hand Thumbs Up Right

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 02:23:03 PM »

Looks promising! Nice main screen.
I played through the demo. The double jump seems to be where all the action is. Getting it timed perfectly to escape some close calls rather than just jumping further or higher would be exciting.
I'd love to record some prehistoric cavemen music so send me a message if you'd like to work together.
Can't wait to see some huge dinosaur action!

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 02:52:10 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys! Smiley
I'll try out the dinosaur's head bobbing, it could work out pretty good. Don't know why I didn't already do it. :D
Thanks for the offer Leo J! Smiley You're the 2nd person today to offer me help with audio! :D I'll message you, when I need some music or sounds for the game. Smiley

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 03:24:05 AM »

I really dig the lo-fi artstyle, it looks, hmm, comfy?

also, prieks redzēt vēl kādu letiņu šeit ^^
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 06:21:01 AM »

Hey thanks! Smiley
And yes, te nav daudz latviešu. Smiley Vispār nekādos game dev forumos bieži nesastopu. Wink

Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 08:42:00 AM »

Your really working on a fast pace. Liking the progress so far

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 10:23:45 AM »

Your really working on a fast pace. Liking the progress so far
Hey,thanks a lot! Yeah, I try to work on it as much as I can. Smiley

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 07:37:58 AM »

Hello!
A little update -
I've updated main post with the new demo version. Go ahead and try that one out. Wink
First thing's first, I changed the game's view settings, so that it's a bit smaller. It was really weird when you could see so much around the caveman, this way it's a bit better. Smiley
I made a system which allows to walk between rooms. It still needs some work, but I'll get to it.
I made a few traps - stalactite falling down on you, when you go under it. And the rolling boulder of doom, like in Indiana Jones. Tongue They still need a bit of work, too.
Also the player's death animation is definitely not staying there, it's basically a placeholder.
Here's a gif

And yeah, im not happy with my tileset at all. It makes room editing and making good looking backgrounds very hard. So yeah, hopefully by next update i will have completely remade the tileset and made a new background. A bit of a visual redesign. Wink

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:20:05 PM by aamatniekss » Logged

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 09:32:30 AM »

So yeah, here's the new tileset! Tell me what you think? Is this any better than before?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic