Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:36:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThere Was A Caveman... [Out on Steam]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: There Was A Caveman... [Out on Steam]  (Read 45849 times)
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 09:08:13 PM »

New tile set looks nicer. Removing a lot of the black from the rock/dirt was a good move. Background is a better match to the foreground as well.
Love the boulder  Wink

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 11:59:08 AM »

New tile set looks nicer. Removing a lot of the black from the rock/dirt was a good move. Background is a better match to the foreground as well.
Love the boulder  Wink

Hey, thanks a lot! Glad you like the new looks! Got any suggestions, on how I can improve even more? Smiley

So yeah, after a long time, im finally back with an update! I was gone because of some life problems, and later my damn laptop decided not to work as expected(Some driver issues, which in the start got me thinking that either my HDD or RAM was faulty. In the end turned out one of my RAM sticks was bad, but it wasn't the actualy problem cause).. So I had to fix everything..

So here's some stuff I did finally!

Water! Now we can go swimming. There are still some little visual aspects for the water to fix, but thats nothing, so be sure to expect an underwater level sometime in the future!!
Also, started working on another enemy. This time a prehistoric,giant, flying insect thingy. Something like mosquito mixed with a dragonfly.
Anyways, here's a gif -

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »

please nerf dragonsquito to one health

Caravan: devlog | website
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »

Why so? Tongue And I like the name - dragonsquito.. :D

Oleg Klishin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 02:11:58 PM »

I think you have a situation of "new school" pixel art here: lots of desaturated colors and pure grays. I've been having this problem a lot in the past. Sadly, I'm not a great color guy myself, but here I tried to find more "interesting" look. Maybe some good people of TIG could do better.

Or you could just use one of Dawnbringer's palettes: 16 or 32 colors. Try it and suddenly everything starts to look extremely cool and harmonic Grin

Also, games today could use A LOT more dinosaurs. Please, make it happen. Dinosaurs! Yay! Waaagh!

Art portfolio and social media links: olegklishin.com
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 05:18:21 PM »

I think the colour suggestion and example are good. Somewhere between the edited picture and the original would look nice.

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 06:15:10 PM »

Why so? Tongue And I like the name - dragonsquito.. :D
too scary

Caravan: devlog | website
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 02:49:48 AM »

@crusty haha, it's not so scary.. :D But I'll try to nerf him to one life, and see what happens.

Hmm and yeah, i get your point about the colours, but I was kinda making it dark and unsaturated on purpose. Because it's supposed to be a dark cave and what not. There will also be other areas, outside of the cave, like jungle and swampy areas. Which I will make with brighter colours. Hmm, but anyways, i'll try to change the palette around a bit, and post the pictures here. Wink

lobstersteve
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 03:56:32 AM »

i think the "new" colors are really good.
they look much more inviting..i would much rather play a game with those colors.
maybe if you want it to look more dark, you still could make the colors stand out more, with a higher contrast or something..
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 07:39:30 AM »

Hmm, well here I changed the pallete around a bit..
The first one is original. But don't know, I kinda feel that I would have to completely redo all my visual work, if I wanted to change the colour pallete.

Oleg Klishin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 08:42:56 AM »

The thing with pixels is that they are usually easy to recolor. I like the blue-ish one. Blue is stereotipically the "darkness" color.

Art portfolio and social media links: olegklishin.com
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2014, 05:27:19 PM »

Pic #3 looks the best in my opinion.

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 09:17:23 AM »

Ok, so I went with the blueish/purpleish colours. It's not so dull anymore, but I managed to keep the darkness of the caves(you can't see it very well in this gif). Smiley Also a WIP of the first boss fight! Smiley P.S that dinosaur is a herbivore, so he's spitting out balls of moss/grass whatever he's eating. :D

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:39:05 AM by aamatniekss » Logged

atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 10:31:57 AM »

Hahahaha, cool!

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2014, 10:34:11 AM »

joe & mac got nothing on you

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
fakezohan
Level 0

I <3 Games

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 06:43:21 AM »

Ok, so I went with the blueish/purpleish colours. It's not so dull anymore, but I managed to keep the darkness of the caves(you can't see it very well in this gif). Smiley Also a WIP of the first boss fight! Smiley P.S that dinosaur is a herbivore, so he's spitting out balls of moss/grass whatever he's eating. :D

Loved the GIF Smiley
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 10:46:52 AM »

Thanks a lot guys! Smiley Im glad that you're liking what im making here. Smiley

I improved the boss fight a little though. Also it's very hard to record gifs while not losing quickly, so the gif isn't very good, but you can see what I did anyways. :D You can now hit the moss balls back at the boss damaging him, and when he loses more than half health, he becomes enraged, and his powers are stronger.
In this gif he's already below half health. Smiley

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2014, 09:03:17 PM »

Looks good and nice mechanics. I'd just like to see smoother animations (more frames) for the dinosaur. You're probably working on that.

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2014, 06:31:02 AM »

Thanks man! Smiley
Yep, yep i'll still improve the boss fight someday. Smiley For now the main part of it is finished, and I'll leave the polishing stuff for a bit later. Wink Don't want to focus too much on one thing, when a lot of other mechanics still aren't done. Wink
Though now Im trying to implement custom keybinds, the menu system itself is done(not visually), now just to figure out the custom controls.. :D

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2014, 12:26:45 PM »

Ok I actually managed to make the custom controls pretty quickly! Smiley The function is there, i just now need to make it a little bit prettier. And give some indication when you're ready for rebinding, like - "Press key now" or flashing brackets or whatever.

And one more thing! I started making the throwable objects, and then thought to myself - 'Damn, you know what would be cool? If the javelin stuck in the wall and I could jump on top of it!' So that's that, im pretty happy with the way it functions. Smiley

Also my idea at the moment is that there will be 3 or 4 projectiles, each with different stats and mechanics.(not RPG-like stats though, a simple -2 life or -1 life etc.)
But mechanics for example - this javelin can stick to the wall, but it's hard to hit enemies with because of the arc of how it flies, but if it hits an enemy it deals more damage.
Another projectile - A rock, flies straight forward, making it easy to hit enemies, but does only 1 damage.
A bone thingy or something like that - flies high up in the air, allowing you to hit enemies that are above easier etc.  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:48:42 PM by aamatniekss » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic