Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:22:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThere Was A Caveman... [Out on Steam]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: There Was A Caveman... [Out on Steam]  (Read 45851 times)
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 12:30:57 PM »

Mind me asking what you have planned as visuals for the main menu?

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2014, 12:47:59 PM »

Mind me asking what you have planned as visuals for the main menu?

No idea, haven't really thought about it yet. Wink I'll leave things like that, which serve no real purpose, other than visual aspect, for later when the game nears completion. Smiley You got some suggestions?

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »

So I hadn't worked on the game for a couple days, since I didn't really have time for it. But today and yesterday I worked on it a lot. And I got some stuff to show! Smiley
Basically nothing very new or groundbreaking - you get a new demo, with some actual levels(though they're still WIP, and the 4th level doesn't count as level, it's just a room filled with stuff to test).  Demo here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1rivjtzny2iw67/ThereWasACavemanAlpha8.exe?dl=0

I pretty much finished the throwable mechanics. Smiley

I also made a few secrets..
And you can now collect life pick ups, and golden hearts, which increase your max life by 1.
Oh and a weird plant thing, which acts as a trampoline!

P.S there are obviously missing some animations for stuff that's getting picked up, destroyed, etc. Also some graphics are not how they will be in end game and so on. Will work on all those little things some other day.

P.P.S You should probably change keybindings to how you like them, because the default ones I got there suck. I'll have to change the defaults to something better. :D

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2014, 05:40:16 AM »

Hello. This looks fun.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2014, 10:21:16 AM »

Hello. This looks fun.

Hey! Smiley Thanks man! Smiley

Im back with another update -
I've finished the first cave area for now! Which means that I can finally start working on the 2nd area. (The cave area will still get improved some day - 1-2 more rooms, miniboss, and new tileset again, because I know I can do better than this one)

This new fat dino is here spitting stuff at you!

Lots of small improvements were made, like bug fixes, improved animations, some visual stuff, etc. I also managed to fix the damn animation flicker bug, which was there from the very start, now im happy. Smiley

I also added a knockback effect when the player gets damaged! Test it out and tell me if it feels fine! Also I was wondering if I should make spikes so that if you touch them it's instant death, not -1 life? What do you think? It will make game slightly harder..
And if you try it out tell me how was the game for you - easy, hard, medium? You managed to finish the demo?

Anyways here's the new demo, check it out! - https://www.dropbox.com/s/6erhla56sy9095o/ThereWasACavemanAlpha9.zip?dl=0

Now the fun part Smiley
Boulder of Doom v2

Fat dino. Smiley

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 01:37:05 AM »

Cool seeing this come along and turn into a real game! I'll be checking out the demo later today!
bornander
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 02:08:24 AM »

So yeah, here's the new tileset! Tell me what you think? Is this any better than before?

I like it, but I also liked the previous one as well. The animations are cool, I really dig the little dinosaur thingie.

Well done, keep it up.

Current devlog; Grapple
Try Hovercraft for Android, voted "a game" by players.Hovercraft on Google play
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 02:16:28 AM »

is there any chance to play this in Linux? Sad
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2014, 04:19:06 AM »

is there any chance to play this in Linux? Sad
Well, not soon probably, when the game nears completion, I'll definitely make a linux version, but right now I haven't got the module for Linux development. Sorry.

So yeah, here's the new tileset! Tell me what you think? Is this any better than before?

I like it, but I also liked the previous one as well. The animations are cool, I really dig the little dinosaur thingie.

Well done, keep it up.

Hey, thanks a lot. Smiley

Cool seeing this come along and turn into a real game! I'll be checking out the demo later today!

Please do check it out! Smiley Thanks! Smiley

Also here's the first mockup of how the next area is going to look.

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2014, 01:40:26 PM »

Hello!
I just uploaded a video of the first stage of the game being almost completed. I died at the boss though. :/ :D
The only problem is I couldn't get the colours to show up correctly after rendering the video, so you can't really see the background of the game, which makes it kinda weird. But anyways here it is, I'll try to upload a better video someday.
And also I know there is no sound, because I haven't added any music or sound to the game yet.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2014, 02:24:14 PM »

Nice! Really solid progress.
I especially like the idea of throwing and using spears to access higher areas. How about a spear + vine that you can throw at a roof or wall and then use to swing?
My only suggestion is... around the 3 min mark you reach a section that has a ton of spikes along the floor. It just looks a bit silly. Maybe use some larva or something a bit more natural?

If you're still keen for me to help, maybe we can talk about making a little music track for you to use in your videos?

bornander
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2014, 11:43:21 PM »

I just uploaded a video of the first stage of the game being almost completed.

That's a decent sized first stage (makes me realize I need to put more effort into my level design) and it looks cool. I especially like the use of hidden areas, like where you find the golden heart, it's very NES-like and it conjures up some nostalgia in me.

Current devlog; Grapple
Try Hovercraft for Android, voted "a game" by players.Hovercraft on Google play
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2014, 01:50:07 AM »

Nice! Really solid progress.
I especially like the idea of throwing and using spears to access higher areas. How about a spear + vine that you can throw at a roof or wall and then use to swing?
My only suggestion is... around the 3 min mark you reach a section that has a ton of spikes along the floor. It just looks a bit silly. Maybe use some larva or something a bit more natural?

If you're still keen for me to help, maybe we can talk about making a little music track for you to use in your videos?
Thanks a lot! Smiley Yeah, i'll definitely add something other than spikes on that floor. :D It does look silly. Smiley And that spear + vine thingy is an amazing idea, but seems like it would be really hard to implement. Anyways i'll try, could be a great addition. Smiley
About that music, it would be really cool! I'll pm you. Wink

That's a decent sized first stage (makes me realize I need to put more effort into my level design) and it looks cool. I especially like the use of hidden areas, like where you find the golden heart, it's very NES-like and it conjures up some nostalgia in me.

Thanks man! Smiley There will definitely be a lot of hidden areas in the game! Smiley There were already some I didn't show in video. Tongue

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2014, 10:49:16 AM »

Hey, just played it. I like it! Controls are nice and tight and gameplay is simple but fun! There was a good bit of variety in the enemies for a first level too.

I don't know why there's a time out on the dash though? I wasn't tempted to use it more than when needed anyway. I also got stuck in a spike pit once or twice cos I panicked and couldn't time my double jump properly  Embarrassed Did you think about making them insta-kill?
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2014, 11:23:44 AM »

Hey, just played it. I like it! Controls are nice and tight and gameplay is simple but fun! There was a good bit of variety in the enemies for a first level too.

I don't know why there's a time out on the dash though? I wasn't tempted to use it more than when needed anyway. I also got stuck in a spike pit once or twice cos I panicked and couldn't time my double jump properly  Embarrassed Did you think about making them insta-kill?
Hey, thanks for trying it out! Smiley
Hmm, the timer on the dash is just something I put when I made the dash mechanic, and didn't remove it. I think I'll make it so that you can dash only once in the air and it resets on the ground. Someday anyways. Tongue And I did think about making spikes insta kill, but wasn't sure if that wouldn't make the game too hard? Well I will have a checkpoint system for the game, so probably it's not so bad.

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2014, 12:50:28 PM »

Checkpoints and instakill  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Left
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2014, 08:50:24 PM »

i am keeping tabs on this.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2014, 04:48:26 AM »

Cool Smiley

Ok, so I finally got my GM to work again, and I've been doing some work on area 2. This is what I have come up with for now. The parallax backgrounds looks kinda weird, imo. So I'll have to try to improve them somehow, I just don't know in what style I should draw them. Very minimalistic, similar to the mountains, or try to put in some more detail. But I think that could make it too noisy.. Anyways, I've never been very good with backgrounds, but I'll do my best.

EDIT: Ok, I think I made a better version of the background!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 05:05:11 AM by aamatniekss » Logged

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2014, 11:45:32 AM »

OK, I kinda finished the 2nd zone. Maybe some new improvements will come later on, but for now I don't want to get fixed on one thing for too much, because there is still a lot of stuff to do.
Next to come level design, new enemies, hazards, and boss for 2nd zone. Half of the stuff is already though, so in about a week or two I'll probably already start work on the next zone! Which will be either a underwater area, or a bit gimmicky level such as riding on a dinosaur or something like that. Smiley
Also, I've done quite a lot little fixes and additions. Like adding lava to first stage, and thinking of adding a parallax background for 1st stage, too.

Anyways here's one gif.

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2014, 08:30:08 AM »

Been trying to make some 'cover'/'thumbnail' thingy to put on websites. This is how far I've gotten now, not really sure what to do with the background. and how to improve the dude. I guess I should probably use some less similar colours.  
Also, worked quite a lot at the 2nd area, made lots of stuff for it, but you'll see it all soon enough. Smiley

EDIT:huh, uploaded the image and noticed how weird it looked
so here's an edit
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:50:10 AM by aamatniekss » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic