Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:46:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRealization - A Game Set of Cubes - Looking for general feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Realization - A Game Set of Cubes - Looking for general feedback  (Read 471 times)
NeonFace
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2014, 04:01:09 AM »

This week (my second week in game developing course), I made a small first person art game using Unity. Our class was instructed to make a game using first person controller, primitive objects and point lights, with textures from CGTextures.com. Character jumping was not allowed.

Time limit was 1 and a half days.

When I started making the game, I had a theme in mind - Realization, and I wanted the structure of the setting to symbolize this. I also decided to limit my primitive objects to just cubes just so I wouldn't have to waste time thinking about how I would approach making each detail.

The game can be downloaded to play from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/svahxj7b9y40ai9/AAD9hRME6u5WXjPcjMRJMCZqa?dl=0
Doors open with left mouse button and close with the right mouse button. I don't know how you would normally close the game, but I used Alt+F4.

The game has a few bugs/issues in it, of course. The player skates instead of walking, the stairs force the player up and won't let them come back down, and the doors don't always react to clicking (but they do after a few tries).

Technical advice on these issues will be appreciated, but I'm mainly looking for general feedback. How would you interpret the game? Do you think I could have done some things better, technically or artistically? Any other thoughts?

I don't plan on developing this game further, but feedback will help me improve myself as a developer and will possibly be helpful for my future projects.
debugchicken
Level 1

Out of the sky, into the dirt.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 02:10:27 PM »

Well very psychodelic

I would advise on transforming this simple scenarios in a game indeed  Hand Joystick
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 03:23:58 PM »

Having the cursor on-screen is pretty irritating and not constraining it to the window means I can accidentally do things like cause previews of other windows to appear by letting the cursor go over the taskbar.

In future games, I'd recommend making strafing much faster and making sure it doesn't screw up forward movement when you move diagonally. I'd also recommend adding more friction so that it doesn't feel like you're running on ice.

For the stairs, there's probably no reason to push the player forward. It seems like you should just be checking if they're colliding with the stairs and move the player up until they no longer collide. If the player turns around, they won't be colliding and will be able to move down (although probably in a very bumpy way. It may be best to treat stairs as ramps instead).

Stretched textures look really bad, especially when stretched only along one axis (like the floor in the first area).

Also be aware of your clipping distance. In the last area, it's very easy to make a corner of the room disappear just by moving toward the opposite corner a bit.

I'd recommend trying to make ceiling heights more standard. Two of the areas have very low ceilings which, unless you're purposely trying to go for a claustrophobic feeling, doesn't really feel right. It's probably also a good idea to make sure that wall textures line up nicely with whatever wall height you're using, as well as with opposite walls. The hallway with the high ceiling has two walls that don't match in terms of texture alignment.

In terms of the theme, I didn't really get any sense of...anything from this. I just ran forward a few times and then it ended. I expected to at least have to open more than one set of doors. That said, what's there technically works fine and I think I can kind of see what you were trying to get at with the "realization" theme, but I feel like a theme like that just needed to be more developed (and probably would've taken more time than you had available).

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
NeonFace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:25:16 AM »

Well very psychodelic

I would advise on transforming this simple scenarios in a game indeed  Hand Joystick

Thank you. I'm currently working on a slightly longer (5-10 minutes) dream/nightmare -esque game from this, but it would be cool to make a "full version" if I get enough ideas. Smiley

For the stairs, there's probably no reason to push the player forward. It seems like you should just be checking if they're colliding with the stairs and move the player up until they no longer collide. If the player turns around, they won't be colliding and will be able to move down (although probably in a very bumpy way. It may be best to treat stairs as ramps instead).

There actually is an invisible ramp there. Pushing the player up the stairs wasn't on purpose. I managed to fix this by re-doing the first person controller. Helped with other control issues too. Still can't go back down the stairs though. Since the player is not supposed to go back anyway, I think I'll put a visible obstacle in there.

I'd recommend trying to make ceiling heights more standard. Two of the areas have very low ceilings which, unless you're purposely trying to go for a claustrophobic feeling, doesn't really feel right.

The claustrophobic feel was on purpose, but I might need to find a way to implement it better.

In terms of the theme, I didn't really get any sense of...anything from this. I just ran forward a few times and then it ended. I expected to at least have to open more than one set of doors.

Since I'm re-making this into a dream/nightmare -sequence, I think I'll focus more on the feel and maybe even scrap the theme. There are going to be a few more doors, but I'm not sure about other gameplay elements yet. Perhaps puzzles that follow dream-like logic.

Thank you for your detailed feedback!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic