Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:05:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Ruins of Old Earth, a lo-fi metroidvainia game (Public Alpha)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Ruins of Old Earth, a lo-fi metroidvainia game (Public Alpha)  (Read 5521 times)
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 07:26:03 AM »

I played it. I think this has a shit ton of potential. I'm not uber fond of the enemy designs yet and I think you should set up a small test room where you're just focusing on abilities the player gets, so you know exactly how to lay out the level design. This is the painful part about building a Metroidvania - the abilities have to completely inform the level design, so you should really make sure that you know as early as possible how to lay everything out.

Other than that, just keep going, this is already a great base to what could become a great game.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:45:27 AM by thomasmahler » Logged

Canned Turkey
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 05:16:31 PM »

Other than that, just keep going, this is already a great base to what could become a great game.

Thanks!

Okay, about the 120fps thing, I checked through all the settings and code involving fps, and they all set it to 60.  Tired
Does anybody have any ideas why this is happening for some people? It runs smooth and without any tearing for me, so I don't really know what's going on.
tjcbs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 05:59:28 PM »

What engine/tool are you using?

Canned Turkey
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 06:42:19 PM »

GameMaker 8.0
tjcbs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 09:37:37 PM »

Sorry, I have no experience there.

As to why you are not experiencing it, I am 95% sure that it is happening for you too, and you aren't noticing it. Different people's sensitivity to this vary wildly, I am shocked by what my friends cannot perceive.

Fix your eyes on a point on the monitor, move in one direction, ignore the game and just focus on the scrolling. Maybe setup a test hallway that is just one long corridor, no enemies or ledges, so you can move without being interrupted. Can you see the scrolling break up periodically?

If you can't, you can record a 60fps video with fraps and post it, and I will tell you if it is happening in the video, and where.

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 09:43:23 PM »

GameMaker 8.0
I dont know if GM 8 had these settings but on GM:S you can go in global game settings and set there - Use synchronization to avoid tearing. Maybe check if that's there. I think GM 8 had these kind of function - set_synchronisation and wait_vertical_sync, or something like that.

tjcbs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 09:49:59 PM »

I get a lot of this now:

Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event
for object o_player:

Error in code at line 81:
   cam.x += (cam.xTo-cam.x)/cam_spd
                            ^
at position 27: Division by 0.

Happens when loading a game, and randomly when playing

Canned Turkey
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 09:19:38 AM »

I get a lot of this now:

Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event
for object o_player:

Error in code at line 81:
   cam.x += (cam.xTo-cam.x)/cam_spd
                            ^
at position 27: Division by 0.

Happens when loading a game, and randomly when playing

I'll fix that.

Sorry, I have no experience there.

As to why you are not experiencing it, I am 95% sure that it is happening for you too, and you aren't noticing it. Different people's sensitivity to this vary wildly, I am shocked by what my friends cannot perceive.

Fix your eyes on a point on the monitor, move in one direction, ignore the game and just focus on the scrolling. Maybe setup a test hallway that is just one long corridor, no enemies or ledges, so you can move without being interrupted. Can you see the scrolling break up periodically?

If you can't, you can record a 60fps video with fraps and post it, and I will tell you if it is happening in the video, and where.

Nope. It doesn't have any vertical tear, it might just be my eyes like you said, but I really don't know how to fix it.

GameMaker 8.0
I dont know if GM 8 had these settings but on GM:S you can go in global game settings and set there - Use synchronization to avoid tearing. Maybe check if that's there. I think GM 8 had these kind of function - set_synchronisation and wait_vertical_sync, or something like that.

Yeah, i'll try and see if I can add a .ini file to enable/disable that in the next update.
I need to get started on school for today, but when i'm done i'll upload a version to try and fix this.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 02:15:50 PM »

This may not be related to the issues, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. Is there a reason you're using 8.0 and not 8.1? If I remember right, the switch to 8.1 should be free for you. I know I got the update for free back when I was using it. I don't know if it has any important fixes, but it might be worth checking.

Also note that GM:S games seem to run a LOT faster (more efficiently) than GM 8 ones, so if you get a chance to upgrade, I'd recommend it. GM:S without modules seems to go on sale fairly often. I wouldn't recommend the free version because it has an annoying "Made with Game Maker" splash screen.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 02:17:18 PM »

The Ruins of Old Earth 0_0_2d

Download

Fixes:
Added settings.ini, vsync only right now
fixed divide by zero code
Added vsync toggling, should fix screen tear

Controls:
WASD/Arrows - Move & look
Z/J - Jump
X/K - Fire current weapon
C/L - Cycle weapon (Only ones you have collected)
Shift/LShift - Hold still (Lets you aim diagonally without having to move)
Enter - Menu confirm
Esc - Exit game
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:18:04 AM by Canned Turkey » Logged
Canned Turkey
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 02:21:55 PM »

This may not be related to the issues, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. Is there a reason you're using 8.0 and not 8.1? If I remember right, the switch to 8.1 should be free for you. I know I got the update for free back when I was using it. I don't know if it has any important fixes, but it might be worth checking.

Also note that GM:S games seem to run a LOT faster (more efficiently) than GM 8 ones, so if you get a chance to upgrade, I'd recommend it. GM:S without modules seems to go on sale fairly often. I wouldn't recommend the free version because it has an annoying "Made with Game Maker" splash screen.

I'm using 8.0 because I can't figure out how to upgrade. The new site only let's you buy 8.1, and I'm kinda broke.
Yeah, I really would like to use GM:Studio, but again, i'm kinda broke.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 02:30:49 PM »

I'm using 8.0 because I can't figure out how to upgrade. The new site only let's you buy 8.1, and I'm kinda broke.

Assuming that you still have your registration key, you could theoretically just download the installer (https://www.yoyogames.com/legacy) and then use your old key with it. I'm not 100% sure if it uses the same key or not, so you may want to research that first before you risk messing with your licensing stuff, but I think it does.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 02:34:54 PM »

Assuming that you still have your registration key, you could theoretically just download the installer (https://www.yoyogames.com/legacy) and then use your old key with it. I'm not 100% sure if it uses the same key or not, so you may want to research that first before you risk messing with your licensing stuff, but I think it does.

I got my key a long while ago, and I never wrote it down.  Embarrassed
ULFR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 02:51:21 PM »

you should make a online ver with just one lvl to test
Canned Turkey
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »

you should make a online ver with just one lvl to test

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your comment.
If you mean online multiplayer, I don't know how to do netcode, and it wouldn't really fit the story/setting anyway.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 04:43:58 PM »

If anyone can record video with fraps or something, could you try and see how well it holds up?
Barisov
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2014, 12:03:26 AM »

Is it possible that you upload that game on an other site than mediafire?
Maybe on dropbox or something like that? Cause mediafire is blocked in our network... Sad
redplanet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2014, 03:34:42 AM »

Overall I like the visuals and the general direction this is going in. Some feedback:

I broadly agree with the comments on the firing/screen shake, I'm not sure it adds a lot to the experience. The recoil could be less, at least on the basic gun - as has been previously mentioned, to have such a 'blast back' when you're using 2 shots to kill the very first enemy seems to be at an imbalance with the power of the weapon.

The jumping seems a little ... slow? Off? On the very first screen I was trying to jump left over the machine, off the little rocky mound you spawn on. I'm not sure this is possible, but I find when I'm getting right to the end of the mound I can't press jump whilst I've got the left direction key held down. It doesn't seem a problem literally a few steps back - maybe it's to do with the collision detecting the end of a ledge? Like I said I'm not sure if you can make the jump or not, but the fact I couldn't seem to jump as I reached the very end of the mound felt like I should be able to reach but I was being prevented by the game.

Otherwise there's definitely promise here! The lo-fi feel of it all makes me feel very nostalgic towards the old Spectrum days, which I find is always a pleasant feeling Smiley

Also, is it possible to have a windowed mode? I don't hate the full screen, I just personally prefer a window when playing this type of game. Shrug, perhaps I'm just weird Smiley
Canned Turkey
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2014, 10:06:43 AM »

Is it possible that you upload that game on an other site than mediafire?
Maybe on dropbox or something like that? Cause mediafire is blocked in our network... Sad

The link now uses dropbox.

I broadly agree with the comments on the firing/screen shake, I'm not sure it adds a lot to the experience. The recoil could be less, at least on the basic gun - as has been previously mentioned, to have such a 'blast back' when you're using 2 shots to kill the very first enemy seems to be at an imbalance with the power of the weapon.

Alright, i'll tone that down a bit.

The jumping seems a little ... slow? Off? On the very first screen I was trying to jump left over the machine, off the little rocky mound you spawn on. I'm not sure this is possible, but I find when I'm getting right to the end of the mound I can't press jump whilst I've got the left direction key held down. It doesn't seem a problem literally a few steps back - maybe it's to do with the collision detecting the end of a ledge? Like I said I'm not sure if you can make the jump or not, but the fact I couldn't seem to jump as I reached the very end of the mound felt like I should be able to reach but I was being prevented by the game.

There are a lot of areas still inaccessible due to the second jetpack upgrade not opened up yet.

Otherwise there's definitely promise here! The lo-fi feel of it all makes me feel very nostalgic towards the old Spectrum days, which I find is always a pleasant feeling Smiley

Thank you!

Also, is it possible to have a windowed mode? I don't hate the full screen, I just personally prefer a window when playing this type of game. Shrug, perhaps I'm just weird Smiley

F4 should work. I'll add window re-sizing in the next update.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:18:37 AM by Canned Turkey » Logged
Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2014, 07:05:10 AM »

Only got to play for 30 minutes but I'll play more again later.

My first impressions were great. It feels great to play and I like the screen shake even though I know some people mentioned it was a bit much. Some bugs did occur such as the eel getting stuck and flipping back and forth on the spot. A bat also respawned in mid air, not hanging from a tile, so maybe you should do a check to make sure he's in the right position when he spawns

As someone already mentioned, the enemies respawn way too quickly. It may deter people from exploring too much of the map when they have very little health as they'll have to fight a lot of enemies twice

I didn't notice any performance, screen tearing issues. Will give more feedback after I play some more Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic