Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:00:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignInitial Game Idea Feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Initial Game Idea Feedback  (Read 952 times)
Ninetails
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2014, 02:36:42 PM »

I was wondering if you guys would be able to helping me out cement on the theme and setting for a game that I have begun development on.

I'll begin with a screen shot of what I have just now. Still early days, nothing is final but the view and controls and 95% of the way of where I'd like them.

So the character you see is the playable character, he will rotate with the mouse and also fire with the mouse at a variety of enemies. I'm thinking that with each level the players beats, he will gain a new ability that was tied to the boss that gave him it and will help in beating the next boss. Things like grenades, a turret to help with overwhelming foes as well as a barrier. One thing I know for sure, this won't be an RPG.

One idea that I thought would work for this would be that the player is asleep and fighting throw his nightmares. Or that he was already dead and that he was fighting his wake back to life. But each time I think of a new mechanic to add, or new ability I keep coming back to a sci fi type scenario that I find very cliche and something I wish to avoid. Likewise with zombies.

Really what I'd like is some feedback on my idea so far. Do you think it could work? Do you have any suggestions for things I could add to it or ammend?

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 04:32:28 PM »

so just an isometric wasd+mouselook shooter, right? the idea is fine, there's no problems with it, whether or not it will be great will all depend on the concept's execution. the dream theme is fun, it's more imaginative than sci fi shooters.

does the player have control over which order they fight the bosses in? what about the levels themselves, are they linear romps from point A to point B, or are they hubs with missions, or are they exploratory with some objectives you must complete to reach the boss?

Ninetails
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 06:27:05 AM »

I never thought of a hub type scenario. But for sure I was thinking of having players needing to complete objectives in each level to get to the final boss. Even if it's just atypical thing like collecting a set of key or something.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 08:43:51 AM »

Really what I'd like is some feedback on my idea so far. Do you think it could work? Do you have any suggestions for things I could add to it or ammend?

It can work out pretty okay.

It'll take a lot more to stand out.

You've got a great start, don't stop.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 08:16:31 AM »

If you're stumped on that front right now, one thing I'd do is implement twicks-controller support in the meantime.

How about "kid falls into a volcano in his dream, and can't awaken in real life until he/she conquers the emotional challenges within." And the boss monsters they face are named after stuff like "depression," "anxiety," "uncertainty," "impatience," etc.

Josias Jose
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 04:34:40 PM »

The dream idea is good and gives space for lots of weird/awesome things to pass through in the game. About objectives, avoid stuff as "get 50 Macguffins", all spread and hidden through the stage: it's very cool to get them in the start, it's a chore to find the last ones, without indication of where they could be.

A map that gets complete as players explore would help as well, to avoid getting lost in the middle of objective-completeness.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic