Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 10:53:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDfragmente
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dfragmente  (Read 2905 times)
hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2014, 08:08:09 PM »

Hello! This is the devlog for Dfragmente, a platformer with (very) light exploration elements. In Dfragmente, you play as ALAN, a robot built from 80's computer parts, as he navigates his way through a dangerous laboratory filled with killer robots and other dangers.

Here's ALAN:

And here are some screens/gifs of the game in its current state:

And here is the song I wrote for the game:

https://soundcloud.com/hexdie/robochorus

I have a short, playable build of the game here:

http://hexdie.github.io

I'll keep posting updates over time. I hope you all like it. Let me know what you think!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Updates:

Title Screen Update

Enemies/Mechanics
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:19:49 AM by hexdie » Logged

iamwhatonearth
Level 0

Find me on tumblr: iamwhatonearth.tumblr.com

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 11:06:52 PM »

I can tell your game is inspired by vvvv. (I forget how many vs) I think it looks too much like it though, maybe you could change the color scheme of the backgrounds?

Also the computer character is very cute. c:

Find me on Tumblr: iamwhatonearth.tumblr.com
Find me on Deviantart: whatonearth.deviantart.com
The game I'm making: thetowncalleddata.weebly.com
hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 09:06:42 AM »

I can tell your game is inspired by vvvv. (I forget how many vs) I think it looks too much like it though, maybe you could change the color scheme of the backgrounds?

I really hadn't thought of VVVVVV when I was making this but a couple other people had mentioned it. I can see a resemblance after looking at VVVVVV again. That said, I think it looks different enough from that game and it doesn't really play anything like it either. Thanks for mentioning it though!

Also the computer character is very cute. c:

Thank you! :D I'm really happy with how he turned out.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 09:14:56 AM »

i've played through vvvvvv at least six times now and uh

honestly i'd not worry too much. if you need to do anything to differentiate it further, make the spikes...something more thematically related to the environment? because the spikes Are a huge vvvvvv deal in conjunction with the colors et al

hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 09:21:49 AM »

i've played through vvvvvv at least six times now and uh

honestly i'd not worry too much. if you need to do anything to differentiate it further, make the spikes...something more thematically related to the environment? because the spikes Are a huge vvvvvv deal in conjunction with the colors et al

That's a good idea. I'm not going to worry about it now but if it becomes a big deal, I'll change that.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 10:28:17 AM »

Love the art style and the little CRT bot is similar to a character I always sketch, so awesome to see them in pixel form!

hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 10:43:44 AM »

Love the art style and the little CRT bot is similar to a character I always sketch, so awesome to see them in pixel form!

Thank you! I worked a bunch on the art, trying to improve over the course of the last month. Here's my original sketch of the character:

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 11:29:39 AM »

Thank you! I worked a bunch on the art, trying to improve over the course of the last month. Here's my original sketch of the character:

That sketch is so wonderful! Reminds me of the art style The Behemoth use a lot. Can we see any development sketches?

Sam B
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 12:02:21 PM »

I hope you're okay with a small edit I did.
The game looks charming, but the levels look particularly flat. Look to punching in the depth by adding simple shadows. In this edit, on the top of the stage, I added shadows below the outlines of the stage to give a perception of depth.

Keep up the good work!
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 01:19:40 PM »

Bahaha! That idle animation... Cheesy

Kinda reminds me of the DOS-Game era. Not a bad thing for me at least. I like it so far.
hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 02:01:33 PM »

I hope you're okay with a small edit I did.
The game looks charming, but the levels look particularly flat. Look to punching in the depth by adding simple shadows. In this edit, on the top of the stage, I added shadows below the outlines of the stage to give a perception of depth.

Keep up the good work!

I'm totally okay with the edit! I'm definitely going to add those shadows into the game. Thanks!

hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 02:02:44 PM »

Bahaha! That idle animation... Cheesy

Kinda reminds me of the DOS-Game era. Not a bad thing for me at least. I like it so far.

Well that is definitely what I was aiming for when making him. I'm glad you like it! :D

hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 02:06:28 PM »

That sketch is so wonderful! Reminds me of the art style The Behemoth use a lot. Can we see any development sketches?

I can see that, his face does kind of look like that block-headed character from BattleBlock Theater (I'm not sure of his name, I haven't played it). I don't have too many sketches but I will definitely upload the few I have in the near future.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »

I look forward to it!

GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »

I love this lil guy! The Pong idle screen is dope too. I was reading through the comments and I agreed with one of them about changing the spikes to something more relevant. I think it would be cool to have electric zapper like elements or maybe even pools of water - you know, things that would affect a computer IRL... Then again, if I dropped my computer on a big purple spike it would be screwed to haha, but you know what I mean. Otherwise, it looks like a good time Smiley

hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 06:54:17 PM »

I love this lil guy! The Pong idle screen is dope too. I was reading through the comments and I agreed with one of them about changing the spikes to something more relevant. I think it would be cool to have electric zapper like elements or maybe even pools of water - you know, things that would affect a computer IRL... Then again, if I dropped my computer on a big purple spike it would be screwed to haha, but you know what I mean. Otherwise, it looks like a good time Smiley

Thank you! :D

Yeah, I could change the spikes. Spikes are a pretty common trope though (some of my designs were inspired by Megaman, which has its fair share of spikes). Who knows, I might add in some of those other things just to change things up.

hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 05:16:20 PM »

Title Screen Update

This week I spent time creating a title screen for my game. I decided with the old computer aesthetic and give it a green and black, crt monitor vibe:

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 05:20:38 PM »

I like the main idea for the title screen. I hope the game will feature some segments in that style. It's like the title screen is promising that there will be some of that. I still think it needs some more work, it looks pretty empty ?

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 05:29:04 PM »

I like the main idea for the title screen. I hope the game will feature some segments in that style. It's like the title screen is promising that there will be some of that. I still think it needs some more work, it looks pretty empty ?

I may include some segments in that graphical style. I haven't decided yet. But between the main character and the death screen, I thought it was fitting. I may decide to add in more to fill it in some more as well.

Nilanjan
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 10:24:19 PM »

or maybe you can make it so that the title screen graphical style can be unlocked by way of some achievments!!!By the way the game looks cool Beer!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic