Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:58:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Sec Soccer [now on Greenlight]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Super Sec Soccer [now on Greenlight]  (Read 4962 times)
kingPenguin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2014, 03:18:09 AM »

It's done! You can get it here.

Super Sec Soccer is a local multiplayer soccer game for 2 players with all those  bothersome rules stripped away so all you're left with is fast and easy fun!  

Features:
  • 2 player support
    keyboard and gamepad support (2 gamepads are recommended)
    vs AI mode

This game does NOT feature:
  • ofside
    hands
    throw-ins
    corners
    free kicks
    penalty's
    half time
    switching sides
    fouls
    a referee (there is a whistle though!)
    assistant refs
    diving
    ball out of play
    a kick-off
    22 players
    boring super defensive matches

more in depth explanation
It’s soccer distilled to a very basic form ("sec" is French for stripped down/without excess).

Players control one soccer-player on a team of five (the keeper is always controlled by the computer). The controls are just as stripped down as the graphics, you can move, switch players, and slide. Sliding into the ball kicks it further than just bumping in to it (used for dribbling), and can even send it flying through the air. You can also use sliding to tackle your opponents, momentarily taking them out of the game.

Switching to another player on your team is done by aiming with the stick (or move keys) and pressing the switch button. That way skilled players can always switch to whomever they want. Slightly less skilled player can simply hold down the switch button which switches the player to whomever is closest to the ball.

Each match last 90 seconds, and there’s no half time, or switching sides. If the timer runs out and there’s a tie, sudden death mode will kick in. The field turn an ominous black and the first team to score wins.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:26:03 AM by kingPenguin » Logged
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 05:25:59 AM »

The game looks nice, though it reminds me A LOT of Jan-Willem's "Tennnes": http://jwaaaap.itch.io/tennnes

Not saying it's bad, just something to keep in mind.

kingPenguin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 05:39:36 AM »

Yeah I know. TENNES came out a day after I started on this (I think).

It's wasn't a direct influence (the biggest influence was actually playing Sensible Soccer when I was a kid, that's where the sliding comes from), but the feeling of all Vlambeer games certainly influences how I make my games.

I haven't played TENNES myself so I'm not completely sure how much overlap there is, but I hope it's unique(ish) enough Smiley
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 11:18:49 AM »

Looks like a good start, but your second gif reveals that you should fix the collision detection (ball is out of the field and* it does not look like the ball is inside the goal). Maybe you should design the goal more like a box?

|
           |
    +---+
    |
    |
    |
    |  O
    +---+
           |
           |

Edit: *sorry i did not get that the ball was in air.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:27:46 AM by zorg » Logged
hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »

I'm not into soccer in the least but I would totally play this! This looks fantastic and has a ton of juice.

kingPenguin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 05:32:18 AM »

I'm not into soccer in the least but I would totally play this! This looks fantastic and has a ton of juice.

Thanks a lot!

Looks like a good start, but your second gif reveals that you should fix the collision detection (ball is out of the field and* it does not look like the ball is inside the goal). Maybe you should design the goal more like a box?

Edit: *sorry i did not get that the ball was in air.

I think you can see that the ball is up in the air a bit better in game as opposed to in GIFs Smiley

And yeah, the goalpost collisions need some work, and I kinda agree with you that the shape of the goals isn't ideal yet. I messed around with those quite a bit because I want to keep them super simple (like the rest of the game). But I'll have another look into it. Thanks for the comments.

Also, you can now tackle other players! (and use the keyboard, but a gamepad is sooo much better)

jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 06:16:28 AM »

Ahhhh, yes yes yes! This looks so good. Really nails the juice! :D

I love it!

kingPenguin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 02:23:11 PM »

Ahhhh, yes yes yes! This looks so good. Really nails the juice! :D

I love it!

Thanks. Glad you like the juice Smiley

Put in the startscreen, getting closer and closer to being done. The downside with these local multiplayer games is finding people to test stuff with, so it's all a lot of guess work for now. Oh well, maybe focus on making some music first tomorrow.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 07:59:11 PM »

Looks fun! And I like the simple graphics.

Krisjet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 04:19:20 AM »

This looks fun, but I had the exact same TENNNES reaction. Not that it will be a big problem for most people, only indie nerds knows that game exists I think, but you might want to keep it in the back of your mind as you further develop the esthetic. Anyway, I really want to rub this game in my FIFA playing friends' faces, it looks fun and crazy.

jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 04:58:16 AM »

Yeah, it definitely reminds me of TENNNES, but that's just a positive honestly.

There's also only so much difference you'll get with simple lowres cube graphics! It's bound to end up looking similar. It still has its own charm, so don't change a thing! It's beautiful!  Coffee

kingPenguin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 02:06:33 PM »

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, it's kinda hard to vary with squares. They tend to be just rather squarey Smiley
kingPenguin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »

Working on the "AI" trying to get them to clump up a bit less. Might be to spread out right now...
Also, new goal posts. I think these are better. And I realized that the purples keepers are kinda bad at indicating which goal you should be aiming for. So I'm gonna have to change that.

Mattie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 08:54:17 AM »

This looks like a fun game! A great local multiplayer game for sure. : )
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 11:46:59 AM »

OH MY GOD! I absolutely love this! I may be a bit biased because of it's similarity to my own game (hecticube) in both style and roots (started out as a world up x pong game), but it genuinely looks dope. It also reminds me of a cross between Sports Friends' Hokkra mixed with J.W.'s Tennes, but in a very good way. I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure Smiley Toast Right.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 12:52:56 PM »

It's inspiring how much you get out of boxes with squash and stretch  Shocked

Have you thought about a less-square ball? It can look a tiny bit like a player now. And there must be some options for wacky black-and-white animations on the ball as it rotates.

GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 01:56:03 PM »

Come to think of it, you could ultimately make different Super Sec games! That would be so cool to have like a Super Sec Series or something   Smiley

kingPenguin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 03:44:43 PM »

Thanks everyone!

@GrahamOfLegend yeah I was planning on maybe using the "super sec" on more sport games Smiley

@Pishtaco a less square ball? I'm gonna keep everthinh square, that's kinda a rule Smiley Have thought about reducing it in size, but I kinda like it this big.

Here's a quick video of a test match against the AI (not gonna tell who's who):

Could really use some music, and I still have to replace the "goal" sound. That's a bit out of place right now.
jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 02:38:29 AM »

(not gonna tell who's who)

Because you're the red one and lost.........  Facepalm

(Is YouTube doing some weird "improvement" on the video, because the colors look way off from the gifs?)

kingPenguin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 04:24:41 AM »

(not gonna tell who's who)

Because you're the red one and lost.........  Facepalm

(Is YouTube doing some weird "improvement" on the video, because the colors look way off from the gifs?)

ssst! Don't tell!

And yeah the colors are super bleh, but I think I just messed up recording it. But I figured it's just a test thingy, so it's good enough Smiley

definitely gonna make sure the colors come out correct the next time though.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic