Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:16:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShe Remembered Caterpillars: Release Date > OUT NOW!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: She Remembered Caterpillars: Release Date > OUT NOW!  (Read 24700 times)
danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2014, 11:17:13 AM »

Hey dear all!

We are jumpsuit entertainment from Germany. My name is Daniel (some people might know my previous iOS  game Symmetrain) and my partner is David. We are pleased to meet you all!

She Remembered Caterpillars is a fungipunk fantasy about love, loss, and holding on, told in the format of a color-based puzzle game. A tale as the bond between parent and child, this lush and bewildering title will have players testing their wits against a variety of challenges, some devious, and others outright nefarious, but all beautiful and very, very strange.

++++++++++++++++++-------++++++++++++

OUT NOW!

You can buy the game or download our demo here on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/470780  Hand Any Key

Are you a streaming-chan, press-kun or tuby-play kind of person? We invite you to request a key https://dodistribute.com/access/iWy1Oy3Mme/

++++++++++++++++++------++++++++++++

Code & Game Design: David Priemer > Twitter @DavidPriemer
Aesthetic: Daniel Goffin > Twitter @danielgoffin
Narrative: Cassandra Khaw > Twitter @casskhaw
Animation: Zach Cohen > Website cohzach.com
Music: Thomas Höhl > Twitter @xavenos
Sound: Christian Wittmoser > Website urknall-sounddesign.de

Game Website: http://caterpillar.solutions

Company: jumpsuit entertainment > Twitter @thejumpsuits >> Website jumpsuit-entertainment.com

I will update the thread semi-regularly with screenshots, concept art and other stuffs. Ask, if you have questions. Criticise, if you have concerns, thoughts or ideas. We are happy to read it all.

Cheers and more soon.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 04:59:19 AM by danielgoffin » Logged

atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 01:26:13 PM »

I have to say that I am really liking the way you are going with the presentation. Everything has a nice cool feel to it, as if it is a watercolor painting.

Solid start of your DevLog.

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 01:56:27 AM »

I have to say that I am really liking the way you are going with the presentation. Everything has a nice cool feel to it, as if it is a watercolor painting.

Solid start of your DevLog.

Thanks. I am still experimenting with the aesthetic but this seems a solid path to walk on. I have a feeling that it will turn into a sort of magic/fairy-tale kind of world: Whimsical and odd. ^_^

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 09:28:12 AM »

Here is a GIF of an older build of how the puzzle mechanic works.

In this case a character that has the same colour or whose blend of colours contains the colour of the bridge can cross the bridge. Difficult to put into words, easier to show:

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 09:55:42 AM »

Wow this is a very cool concept, can't wait to see more Daniel!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 02:40:56 AM »

So, today I created this piece of concept art. The last weeks have been quite a struggle for me. It has become difficult to decide on a course regarding the style, full knowing that I can not know or anticipate everything and it needs to develop and evolve. Ack. Also, we had a big discussion (argument even) on the direction of the game and going "back" to the style I have used earlier this year is one of the insights coming out of that meeting. However, I think I have learned a lot about the game during this time and so the new concepts in older clothing may actually work.

To be continued...

Nilanjan
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 04:53:29 AM »

Hey dear all!

We are jumpsuit entertainment from Germany. You can find our website here: http://jumpsuit-entertainment.com. My name is Daniel (some people might know my previous iOS  game Symmetrain) and my partner is David. We are pleased to meet you all!

The game we are working on is a colour based puzzle game where you have to use coloured characters to cross coloured obstacles (worst elevator pitch ever!) The game is being made in Unity. It will be 2D in its presentation but technically it is a hybrid of 2D and 3D elements.

This is the current visual approach:

The whole mechanic is somewhat difficult to explain in words as it is rather complex. However, we have an old video presentation from January that does the trick a bit better:

The working title is "Perlinoid" but we will not keep that as it is too difficult to remember.

I will try to update the thread with screenshots, concept art and other stuffs. Ask, if you have questions. Criticise, if you have concerns, thoughts or ideas. We are happy to read it all.

Cheers and more soon.
Somehow your artstyle reminds me of the Ligne claire style made popular by Hergé. I really like the style.Very few games that i'm aware of use this style,so it would be great if you can make it work. Beer!
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 02:27:55 PM »

Hum interesting mechanics and universe here. The graphics might still appear a trifle empty and lame after a while but I guess it's up to the early state of the development. I like the background theme in the music, this sort of acid jazz loop, yet sort of upbeat every now and then, fits very well.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 04:16:13 AM »

Dear All!

Thank you for the feedback. Now I have the feeling that the characters above do not quite fit. I guess I will have to spend more time on them. it just goes to show how much I am still searching and testing. Two steps forward, one step back. Or something.

I have started further reducing the elements. Then adding a bit again, taking away again. Always asking myself how much simplicity is possible and/or necessary. Below a little dump of images that I have produced in the meantime.

Thanks for watching! ^_^

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 05:54:00 AM »

The visuals are solid and amazing, i love it!
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 06:06:54 AM »

Love these latest images, I think the decorative elements, like the red 'flowers' or the trees really contribute to the scenes. Although I think the bright, saturated colours work best when they only show up on the characters and puzzle elements.

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 03:47:26 AM »

Just a quick note for those that may be interested. I am (sort of) collecting the most important and inspiring images that I come across during the development time. I do this with a little tumblr blog which you can follow here:

http://colorspiel.tumblr.com

Savick
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 03:52:43 AM »

I really like the art! And thanks for the blog link, following now.
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 03:54:55 AM »

This looks very nice, Daniel! Smiley

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »

Those trees and their water reflection are indeed splendid.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 03:02:18 AM »

A tiny update today:

I expanded our colour and shape system beyond characters and obstacles. It works quite well for trees, as it turns out:

Then, a tree in 3D (as a crappy gif) skilfully realised by Florian Grolig (http://panopticum.eu).

Lastly, a collection of random plants which may or may not appear in the game (click to embiggen)...

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:23:55 AM by danielgoffin » Logged

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 10:01:58 AM »

Holy fuck this is pretty (pardon the language).

Seriously though, keep doing this.

I like the approach with the colours. With something like this though you may want to limit your colours to areas that you want to draw attention to, keep the player focused. I don't know if you were planning on colouring everything but it may seem very chaotic if you do.

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 12:50:20 PM »

It's been a little while since I posted an update.

Mostly because I needed time to think about our approach to the game. By late December 2014 I realised that after more than a year of working on the game I know pretty much what I wanted things to look like (or at least I knew what was fun to draw) but that I still did not know why in many cases I was unhappy with the results. Some of these were rather solid and beautiful but there was always something that did not work. So, I decided to put down my pencil and think about the game and some of the underlying ideas. It then occured to me that while I tried different visual (and conceptual) solutions in one place I did not try them in all places. One darling always survived (the mushroom-like bridges) and it took me basically 10 months to kill it.

The reason why I kept the functionality of the bridges intact was that it worked so well in the videos that I thought that they shouldn't be changed. What I failed to see was that there could be plenty of similar solutions that would just as well. The most important aspect here is that the environment should react to the characters, e.g. if a red character approaches a blue bridge that bridge will show a response telling the player that this character can not cross. As a result I scrapped the mushroom approach and replaced it with a weird caterpillar: Now the caterpillar reacts to the characters that run across its body. The colour-shape system that I have developed will stay however and it will be implemented via textures, spikes, and other strange extrusions to the caterpillar.

That next important change is that I decided to hire a writer for the story part of the game. I have already found a very capable one and I am excited to see what she will come up with...

Lastly, two of the most recent concepts: A low-poly bonsai and a weird snaking caterpillar worm thing.

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 06:10:19 AM »

Here are two recent tests. The first one showing my concept drawing in 3D and the second one lazy quick test with the new Unity 5 shaders (because we had to out of sheer curiosity).

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 08:12:01 AM »

You continue to amaze me Daniel!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic