Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:14:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs66 Games in 66 Days
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: 66 Games in 66 Days  (Read 8718 times)
MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2014, 05:48:43 PM »

Why I'm doing this -

I want to make good games. A lot of good games. However I'm not good at making games.
 Concerned

To get good I know I need to get a lot of experience to know what makes a game good or bad. I need to know what type of games I like to make. What types of games I'm good at making. Thus this challenge.

Who knows if I can complete this challenge. I'm hoping by making myself accountable for this I will be putting my name on the line and give myself the extra push to keep doing this till new years.
 My Word!

**If I miss a day for whatever unavoidable reason I'll make two the next day**

I'll be putting up the crappy ones up on dropbox and the good ones also on dropbox probably, or gamejolt.

It would be awesome if some of you could play the games and tell me what you think. Knowing what went wrong or right would be awesome.

Hope you find my stuff interesting
- Mr.Tedders   Panda

(hopefully this is the right place for this)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 07:50:35 AM by MrTedders » Logged
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 06:00:56 PM »

Maybe its just me, but a game a day for 66 days is still a very tall order. That's a lot of work to fit in for a single day (even for a quick hack,) not to mention for two months straight (why 66, anyway?) I'm not sure its a realistic goal if you're a beginner looking for more experience.

Have you considered #1GAM?
MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 06:52:45 PM »

I've tried the #1GAM but it's too long for me and I end up getting bored and working on a new game. This year I've made 37 games (most bad and half finished).

I just thought this would be a fun challenge that fits with the way I like to make games. Also most of my games start with a 4-ish hour prototype so I know this can be done.
Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 10:53:45 PM »

What variety do you expect to achieve? Would 66 platformers or 66 packman clones count if they will differ in little more than tilesets? Or do you plan to come up with unique concepts for all or at least most of your games? Do you plan to reuse your existing engine(s) and art assets including stuff you will create during the challenge or your goal is to make every single game from scratch?

Maybe its just me, but a game a day for 66 days is still a very tall order. That's a lot of work to fit in for a single day (even for a quick hack,) not to mention for two months straight (why 66, anyway?) I'm not sure its a realistic goal if you're a beginner looking for more experience.
I too doubt the merits of such a marathon but if this will be more of a prototyping challenge(i.e. to create 66 proof of concept snippets), this might work and provide OP with some unique experience. But nonetheless, this seems like a sure way to force yourself into a burned out state, at least from my perspective.

Anyway, looking forward to see what you will be able to come up with, OP. Good luck!
Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 11:54:22 PM »

That's quite a challenge. Good luck  Hand Thumbs Up Right

I'd say that the hard part about making games is sticking with it, when it gets boring or hard.
The few mini-games I have finished were contract work, with a playable game after 6-8 hours. And then followed 2-3 weeks of tuning, polish and pure frustration. All of my hobby projects so far have been put aside, when they get too frustrating. So finishing one of your prototypes is probably an essential part of being good at making games.
My suggestion to your challenge, would be to do 33 games in 33 days, and finish, polish and publish on of them in the last 33 days. That way you would not only have a lot of prototypes, but would also have released a game after your marathon.

That was just a suggestion, but anyways - I'll be back tomorrow to try out your first game  Well, hello there!

MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 07:05:01 PM »

Finished the first game!

ARROW KEYS AND X KEY TO PLAY.
You can play it in browser here (Extremely short arcade game): http://goo.gl/z7nFxK
Music is by Mark Sparling. He's making 66 songs along side me.

It's a simple game about shooting things and making those things blow up.

I've only gotten 157  Crazy

This was a nice game to start off with. I didn't really have any ideas at all today so I decided I would just try to recreate a game I really wanted to play and then expand on it a little. I think it turned out alright, it doesn't have the same aesthetics as what I was going for but its pretty close.

Let me know what you think!
Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 07:05:29 AM »

134. This was surprisingly good for one days work.  Gentleman
The only frustrating part, was the sluggish movement. It took me 4-5 tries to beat the first boss, because the acceleration was so slow that avoiding the boss bullets was very hard.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 01:02:39 PM »

It's really good for one day, but i don't think 66 games in 66 days is a good idea.
dittomat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 04:09:42 PM »

What's up with all the negativity in here? I think it's an awesome challenge, and I wish you good luck! I hope you make it through! Gonna be fun following you! :D

yo. @dittomat
MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »

2/66

ARROW KEYS TO MOVE, SPACE TO JUMP, T TO USE SHIP
Play in browser here: goo.gl/kCLAEK
Song is 2/66 by Mark Sparling.

A Game about something.

This game was me trying to finally make a proper platforming engine. I've never been able to do it until today. This is the best try I've had at making not super buggy platforming.

The game has a lot of seams but I accomplished what I wanted. Let me know what you think.
Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 01:38:18 AM »

Cool how much emotion can come from just a static sprite and some text.

On my hoverboard, i can fly through the roof. The first time it happened I floated through the level without any obstacles, just background colors changing. Took me a while to decide if glitch or just trippy gameplay.  Tongue

MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »

3/66

SPACE TO DROP TORCH
Play in browser here: http://goo.gl/YU1qNI

A game about cremation.

I don't have a lot of time to spare today so I made a game that was heavily based on the works of Andrew Blyth.
Heres some of his stuff: http://killscreendaily.com/articles/andre-blyth/

It sucks I didn't get in sound but what can you do. Time sucks.
Enjoy!
MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 09:24:52 PM »

4/66

ARROW KEYS TO PLAY
Play in Browser here: goo.gl/e9uig9

A game about leaping before you look

This game turned out really well. I don't really have anything bad to say about it besides maybe lack of levels but I'm sleepy so screw that for today.

Enjoy!
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 07:50:19 AM »

Keep up the challenge! I approve of these!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Yeah.
MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 11:36:50 AM »

5/66

SPACE TO PLAY
Play in browser here: http://goo.gl/lNeXZ3

A game about not having enough time.

This game was a total cop out cause I don't have any time today. made this in like 15 minutes.

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 01:42:39 PM »

This is great man. I don't get the negativity sounding this. This is an awesome exercise whether the results are good or bad. You're obviously going to develop some sort of skill doing this no matter what. I have an artist friend who as an exercise draws people for 20 seconds doing as much as he can and does this like 100 times and as a result he's so much better and faster at what he does. It's the same principle. Didn't Cactus and half of Vlambeer do 4 hour game jams all the time? Look at them now. Even if you dont make the 66 days who cares? People need to chill and realise its a personal challenge, its not a game jam or an open challenge, you're making the goals that you decide you can strive for.. Keep up the hard work and make sure you're enjoying yourself.
I look forward to playing all the games as soon as I get home.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 08:52:25 PM »

Absolutely loving the variety in concepts here.  I think one of the big benefits of taking on a massive challenge like this for yourself is that you'll have a ton of unique concepts to sift through by the end to potentially expand into larger games.  You're doing great so far!
Elwood Sharit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 09:04:09 PM »

Just came to ramp the positivity!  Wizard Keep it! The hardest part will be diversity but you seem to be full of ideas, don't let yer steam die off!
MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 10:28:38 PM »

6/66

ARROW KEYS AND SPACE TO PLAY.
Play in browser here: http://goo.gl/fuJKXP
Song is 6/66 by Mark Sparling.

A game about lack of trust in gravity

This game was superrrrr buggy all day so I didn't get as much time on level design as I would have liked. I didn't even get to put in proper sounds.

However, I think its alright. So have fun!
Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 11:05:18 PM »

I was going to do this with you (incidentally we started on the same day), but my goal was 5 games in 5 days. I ended up only making 2/5.

I'm going to use all of November to make one game. Looking forward to see the rest of your games!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic