Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:35:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTest - browser game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Test - browser game  (Read 1782 times)
Ooops
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2014, 06:22:39 AM »

[removed]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:21:09 PM by Ooops » Logged
timwhite
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 07:14:35 AM »

It's creative.
But frankly, it's geeky. Not many people can count out prime number larger than 11. So very few people could find what's interesting there....
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 05:52:02 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty geeky but I'm sure there's an audience for this sort of game. It seemed fine to me.

I found that the controls worked well and that the way I was to interact with the squares felt intuitive.

A part of me thinks that the game might be more appealing to some people if the timer just kept track of how long they've taken. I was a big fan of a Sudoku app I had on iOS. Getting a certain number wrong meant you failed, so you had to think beforehand, and it just kept track of how long you took to finish the puzzle. I felt determined to beat my times and to never make a mistake. Had the timer been counting down, I think I might have just gotten annoyed because I, like a lot of people, played those sorts of games to relax.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Ushi-kun
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 10:00:56 AM »

I found the concept to be interesting.
It was a bit geeky, but nothing wrong with a game being geeky.

In fact, I think it would be nice if it told me more interesting things about prime numbers.
Maybe show some random interesting facts about prime numbers every time the game is over or something.

My score was around 200-300 for my first couple plays.
Ooops
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 11:52:17 AM »

It's creative.
But frankly, it's geeky. Not many people can count out prime number larger than 11. So very few people could find what's interesting there....

Thanks for your feedback. It's most definitely geeky Smiley To be honest, I couldn't count out prime numbers when I started this little project. I can now instantly recognize if a number under 200 is prime or not. Not sure that's a terribly useful skill though. Durr...?

Yeah, it's pretty geeky but I'm sure there's an audience for this sort of game. It seemed fine to me.

I found that the controls worked well and that the way I was to interact with the squares felt intuitive.

A part of me thinks that the game might be more appealing to some people if the timer just kept track of how long they've taken. I was a big fan of a Sudoku app I had on iOS. Getting a certain number wrong meant you failed, so you had to think beforehand, and it just kept track of how long you took to finish the puzzle. I felt determined to beat my times and to never make a mistake. Had the timer been counting down, I think I might have just gotten annoyed because I, like a lot of people, played those sorts of games to relax.

Thanks as well. I'm glad the controls felt right to you, even though it should also be possible to actually swipe the tiles, especially on touch screens, something that hasn't been implemented (yet)

I'm not sure how I could get rid of the time element and still make it an interesting game. It's not designed as a finite puzzle the way sudoku is. On the other hand, the little feedback I got elsewhere tells me the time contraint is too strict and should be relaxed. There should probably be easy/medium/hard settings, with the current difficulty corresponding more or less with hard. With a more slowly decaying time and lighter penalties for mistakes, the easy mode could still be relaxing while staying true to the game's nature.

I found the concept to be interesting.
It was a bit geeky, but nothing wrong with a game being geeky.

In fact, I think it would be nice if it told me more interesting things about prime numbers.
Maybe show some random interesting facts about prime numbers every time the game is over or something.

My score was around 200-300 for my first couple plays.

Thank you too. That trivia idea is fantastic!  Beer!  IF I ever release this game properly, I'll definitely include that.
yokcos700
Level 0

Fishticuffs | @yokcos700

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »

Obviously, the sound and visuals are unpleasant, but that's to be expected of such an early game.

With regards to the gameplay, I quite like it. I'll definitely be trying it again, and hope to defeat my previous score.
It wasn't too obvious to me what the difference between red and green squares was until I had read the description. Not sure if that's useful to you.
I can't imagine a game of this type gaining a huge audience. I assume you don't want a huge audience.

The falling animation when you make a pair needs to be faster.

Fishticuffs guy and also Omnigon guy
Ooops
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »

I've just posted a new version, with much-improved graphics and other changes.
I'd be very  grateful for feedback (please see OP)

Thanks a lot again to those who commented on the previous version.
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 08:22:34 PM »

I enjoyed this. My largest prime number was 31. Not terribly impressive, but I was proud.  Smiley

Some feedback:
  • I didn't care for the way numbers would change after I got a match. I was trying to plan ahead, and that threw some of my plans into disarray.
  • I like the background effects you've got going on. But I think the squares & timer could still use some visual love.
  • Instructions are clear, but I think a nice, polished in-game tutorial would benefit this.
  • Ran fine for me. I'm on a high-end MacBook Pro.
  • Easy was just fine for me. I lasted about as long as I wanted to.

Before you release, I'd consider giving the UI some attention - little polish animations and such. Also spruce up that Game Over screen.

Ooops
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 01:39:25 AM »

Thanks for all your comments.

Concerning the visual, I fear I've reached the apex of my artistic abilities with how the game looks now.  Undecided
The Game Over screen is still a placeholder, I'm waiting to implement some sort of high score/leaderboards before I properly design it.

I understand your concern about changing numbers, but I cannot simply remove that feature, as otherwise the board would progressively fill completely with the prime numbers that you make. And because the sum of two prime numbers is never a prime (except if one of them is 2), the player would soon reach a deadlock. If I remove it, I'd have to devise a completely different mechanism and I don't see any at the moment.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic