Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:52:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessPublishing under an alias
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Publishing under an alias  (Read 2253 times)
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2014, 06:32:22 AM »

It is a common practice in the world of literature for authors to publish works under an alias, or pen name, when they want to either deviate from their established body of work without their reputation having an effect, or when they want to publish materials that could harm such reputation.

As such, I'm wondering about the finer details of publishing (and being payed) under an alias, with the intent of hiding your real identity.

The reasoning for doing this isn't really important, what I'd like to know is about the actual legal implications of doing such a thing: What it entails, how easy is to track your real identity, etc...

I've been looking up on it, but could only find information relevant to literary publishing.

So far, the best option as far as individual anonymity I can come up with is to release under a brand name and not mention the actual developer names.

loudo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:02:27 AM »

I think that it may interested you: if you want to publish on Google Play, you need to provide your postal address now.

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 12:07:13 PM »

Nobody really cares if you create stuff using fake names and fake adresses so it's not really difficult to hide your identity,even your government cares only about your taxes. At best you're breaking Terms and Conditions by not being a real person.
So you use the same bank account number as usual just changing the name so the party sending your earning doesn't know you and you use a bank that checks only the number when receiving transfers.

Everyone is happy!

Also, please don't try to break the law to save your reputation  Shocked

erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 12:29:12 PM »

In the United States the most simple and legal straightforward way to do this would be to open a business or file a DBA (Doing Business As) style paperwork.  You can have as many businesses as you want.  Sometimes you can have a 'parent' business that owns subsidiary businesses for this exact purpose:

Company 1: Parent Publishing Company
Company 2, owned by company 1: Arcade Game Company
Company 3, owned by company 1: Educational Game Company
Company 4, owned by company 1: Technical Documentation Company

They they market each of the 3 sub companies with unique names and identities because they know that the customers are looking for Arcade Games from a Game Company .. and Technical Documents from a Technical Document company.

Its legit and normal practice and might be what you are looking for.

Also regarding Google's address requirements -- each business usually has a registered business address so you would just use that.

Infernohawke Entertainment
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 02:28:37 AM »

Also, please don't try to break the law to save your reputation  Shocked

Breaking the law is an terrible way to go if you intend to remain anonymous  Wink

MorganRamsay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 05:10:29 AM »

I think that it may interested you: if you want to publish on Google Play, you need to provide your postal address now.

USPS offers street addressing for PO boxes now.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 01:08:34 PM »

You're required to provide your real address though. Actually you're required to provide two addresses: your legal address (which isn't disclosed publicly) and another address that will be available publicly (this one can be a PO box). In any case Google still gets your real address.
MorganRamsay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 10:20:32 AM »

You're required to provide your real address though. Actually you're required to provide two addresses: your legal address (which isn't disclosed publicly) and another address that will be available publicly (this one can be a PO box). In any case Google still gets your real address.

Again, USPS offers street addressing for PO boxes. That means your PO box address looks like any other "real" address. Use the street address of your PO box and your PO box address. Problem solved.
RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 04:21:09 AM »

USPS offers street addressing for PO boxes now. [..] Problem solved.
That applies to only 4% of the world.  Shrug

MorganRamsay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 09:49:27 AM »

That applies to only 4% of the world.  Shrug

I'd assume that other countries have their own postal systems and mailbox services, which may also offer street addressing, too.
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 03:27:15 AM »

Isn't the trick with authors writing under an alias that the publisher is still known, and they cover for the author? That should work for publishing games on Google Play as well? So just find someone to be your publisher?
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 02:25:58 PM »

I think breaking the law would ruin your reputation more than a bad video game Tongue
So don't do that.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic