Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 04:39:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNES-Retku the Game [STEAM, XBOX, PSN]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: NES-Retku the Game [STEAM, XBOX, PSN]  (Read 4405 times)
Panicci
Level 0

Pixel Artist & Basement Developer

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2014, 03:04:51 PM »

NES-Retku will be a straight forward platformer / puzzle-y / adventure game with a story to follow. We want to keep the game as a mix of Donkey Kong Country, Crash Bandicoot and Super Mario -games. This game will be polished to the point of throwing up, we want to put our 110% into it and see our full potential as game developers!

NES-Retku is a sleazy garbage truck driver and a retro game enthusiast. He likes to kick back and relax by playing old video-games when not working. Retku's side-kick Flasa is a fluffy stuffed animal who mainly sleeps and eats cheese snacks.

Everything is just fine, until one day a mysterious video-game cartridge drops in from the mail box. After placing the cartridge into his gaming system Retku gets sucked into the TV, and the journey begins..

The game will consist of 25 levels set up in 5 different Zones that include escaping from an erupting volcano, Escaping a huge monster, Flying in the sky with a wooden chopper-pack while avoiding strange stuff, to fighting on the roof of a moving garbage truck driven by Flasa and crashing into the side of a mexican restaurant.

There are also alternative paths that can be reached by obtaining a hidden game cartridge of a certain color to reach the spots. Like the colored Gems in crash bandicoot. There will be a completion % and lots of easter eggs and hidden mini-games.

Additional levels and boss fights might come, but we decided to keep the structure of the game compact so that we can actually finish it. Who knows what could come if we finish it in time and have motivation to go even further Smiley

In the game you can freely swap between Retku and Flasa by pressing a button. Retku Has better movement and can jump higher etc. Flasa can fit in smaller gaps and use his Zapper to jump over spikes like scrooge mcduck in ducktales. You need to swap between them and solve small puzzles as you go through the levels.

You can follow our crew in Twitter!

@eliaspixel == Pixel Artist / Programmer
@AapeliKutila == Pixel Artist
@Jussi_ku == Programmer

or the boring company one: @panicartstudios

Also if you're interested in our games, check out Hero Siege in STEAM!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 04:46:02 AM by Panicci » Logged
Panicci
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 07:03:41 AM »

Today was a long day. We pretty much fought with getting Game Maker working with PS4 SDK as there was some left overs from an old visual studio 2012 install on a false directory which kinda bombed the exporting. Now that everything is working again we can move on to XBOX side of things, hope to get the devkit to work asap.

What we got done today game -wise:
- Enhanced movement engine with acceleration and friction to smoothen the movement of the player.
- Collision checking is now near perfection
- platforms that move in a "O" pattern
- Textbox engine for cutscenes.

So yeah was a pretty productive day. Today there will be no screenshots of anything as I was mainly struggling with technical hardware side of things. But asap I can get back to spriting I will be posting some neat pixels!
Dr. LudoS
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 04:39:35 PM »

I just watched the documentary about you guys, and I admire your passion and the enthusiasm you are putting into your games! The story about why you chose to go indie rather than to stay into the industry is both funny and scary at the same time... but I can totally understand why you choose to only make your own games after that! Wink

I'm definitively following this devlog to see how your game turns out!

The One Fork Restaurant DX : DevLog - Play current beta version
Panicci
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 03:13:27 AM »

I just watched the documentary about you guys, and I admire your passion and the enthusiasm you are putting into your games! The story about why you chose to go indie rather than to stay into the industry is both funny and scary at the same time... but I can totally understand why you choose to only make your own games after that! Wink

I'm definitively following this devlog to see how your game turns out!

Glad you liked the video Smiley And yeah it was kind of a scary choice, but we are in a very good position at the moment as we are self funded and hero siege kinda kicked our money problems away. We can now focuse on the actual development and not to stress about other stuff.

I will be updating the blog as soon as i get these console ports going for hero siege, the development of this game is still on hold, but not for too long!
Panicci
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 01:29:22 PM »

nvm
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 05:26:47 PM by Panicci » Logged
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 06:24:49 PM »

I liked your gameplay video. There were lots of nice little visual touches - the transformation between Retku and Flasa was really cool, as well as the little camera shake when the spiked balls hit the blocks.

The art style seems a little disjointed - the characters don't really match the environment. They seem small and a bit understated in your colorful, vibrant world.

Panicci
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 06:40:19 PM »

The characters are going to get a re-work too as soon as i get to that. Will be re-making the enemies in bigger scale.
Panicci
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 02:51:02 PM »

Development for this game has been started! Target platforms are nextgens + steam (these ones are confirmed == XBOX One, PS4, PS Vita (maybe) and STEAM).

Will be dropping more content here in the upcoming week!
Panicci
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 07:29:40 AM »

New enemy animation textured from plain color strip.
Panicci
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 12:57:41 PM »

Explosion sprite made Smiley
Panicci
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 05:21:54 PM »

new material Smiley Everything set together!
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 08:07:11 PM »

Love the idea, this looks like lots of fun - looking forward to more!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Panicci
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 08:46:21 AM »

added some sketches from @AapeliKutila

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:03:16 AM by Panicci » Logged
Panicci
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 04:43:24 AM »

We currently have our other artist working on concept art for enemies and the fourth level and my self working on the second and third level. We are slowly taking this project in as our main one. Hero Siege still consumes a bit of time tho, waiting for that to go away so I can fully pursue this one. Then I will be posting updates more frequently.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic