Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:02:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsOffering Paid WorkConcept/character artist for 3D science fiction computer game (anime style)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Concept/character artist for 3D science fiction computer game (anime style)  (Read 1766 times)
kawaiicatgirl
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2014, 01:44:03 AM »

I'm looking for anime and sci-fi concept artists who enjoy drawing spacecraft and/or cute anime girls to help me with a computer game project. Right now I am mainly looking for character design work. I decided to offer the opportunity to join the project here for anyone who is particularly passionate about science fiction or gaming who would be excited by the prospect of seeing their work in a fully fledged 3D computer game with deep mechanics.

I am the programmer and designer of the game. I have a degree in computer science and another in digital media and I have been working on the game concept full time since I graduated. The game uses a custom C++ engine that I've been working on for some time. If you like games like Eve Online, Homeworld, Starcraft, Total Annihilation or Mechwarrior and anime in general then I think you will like this project a lot. The artists who are working on character concepts can treat this project as if it were a visual novel and need not be concerned with gameplay details.

The game is set within an extremely bleak and oppressive dystopian universe with a lot of cyberpunk influences and its story could be considered to be a space opera. The game will be half (animated) visual novel, with a pretty long and complicated story involving lots of competing factions. Because there is sometimes some pretty extreme violence/sexual content, I should probably stipulate that the artist be over 18.

The characters that you help design will be created as animated 3d CG models, rendered in a cel-shaded style which will be further retouched and improved by artists. Here's an example of that:
http://imageshack.com/i/kqd7ZJLxp

Because this project is very important to me and I have invested a great deal of time on it, I am really looking for exceptionally talented artists.

The artists that I will accept to work on this project would be capable of drawing to match the quality of broadcast anime- that is to say, they should be fully capable of drawing a cel shaded key frame that would not be out of place in an anime created by studios like Shaft, Gainax, Production IG etc.

The artist should also be fully capable of matching the outlined style of the game such that their work blends in seamlessly with the work of other artists. If you feel that you have a good example of professional level cel-shaded work in your portfolio, then you should definitely direct me to that work specifically.

I'm not really inclined to accept people who draw in a western or western influenced style, even if they are fantastic artists, since it's not what I need for this project and it won't match the overall style of the game.

I'm paying (roughly):
~$150 for a character design with complete reference sheet showing several expressions and poses (simple cel-shaded style)
~$100 for a fully conceptualized and highly detailed starship/spacecraft reference sheet based off my designs
~$60-80 for a reasonably detailed piece of promotional style artwork (cel-shaded, possibly slightly more detailed)
~$150+ for highly detailed promotional artwork (more detailed shading, complex background, multiple characters)

Here is a breakdown of what I am looking to pay for images by difficulty/detail level.

$50-100 - very easy, one or two characters, simple background:
https://imageshack.com/a/YWPz/1
$100-200 - more complicated but easy to make background, not many objects, multiple characters less than 3-4:
https://imageshack.com/a/wWPz/1
$200-250 - multiple characters (~5-7), complicated background with many individual objects to draw:
https://imageshack.com/a/2WPz/1
$250+ - lots of characters (~8-12), really complicated background (rare that I would need something with this many characters all in one scene and could only be done much later when the designs for many things exist anyway):
https://imageshack.com/a/PWPz/1

All of the payment stuff is negotiable but please keep in mind that I can't afford to pay much more than what I have mentioned above to a single artist right now, at such an early stage.

- In addition to the usual per-piece payment, I'm also willing to offer the artist a 2.5% profit share on all future profit capped at $200,000 USD a year for as long as that artist is drawing for me
- This is a long-term project where I will eventually be employing an early access model based around a prototype and art/information content delivered to a small user base
- You can treat the project very informally. You can draw whatever you want to from the setting and character descriptions I provide without deadlines. You can leave and rejoin the project or place other commitments ahead of this work any time you want without limitation
- I'm happy to take artists who may want to focus on just one aspect of the game's visuals that they feel matches their particular strengths as an artist (eg. focusing on character design, vehicles or environments)
- Talented artists who have a long-term involvement will be offered a paid full time position
- This is the perfect opportunity for an artist who is interested in game development but isn't sure where to start or who needs help (for instance, I am currently helping a Japanese artist I am working with on this project with her own game)
- You would be working alongside professional Japanese artists that I've scouted on Pixiv etc.

I have been pretty vague about the game here; it's because I want to make sure that the game is fully presentable before I start blabbing specific details about it around the internet. If you think you might be interested from my description and you send me an email, I will fill you in on a lot more details.

The email address to send your portfolio to is [email protected]

I've uploaded a gallery of images showing the kind of imagery I'm looking for:
https://imageshack.com/user/kawaiicatgirl

This opportunity will be open for a while, so even if you see the thread sometime after it was posted you can still contact me and I'll get back to you.

If there is something you feel I've left out or that needs further clarification then please feel free to ask about it in the thread or in your email.

Finally, you can take a look at the deviantart job offer thread for this project here: http://forum.deviantart.com/jobs/offers/2016237/

Thanks a lot for taking the time to carefully read everything. If you know an artist you think might be interested in this then please do me a favor and let them know about it!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:00:45 AM by kawaiicatgirl » Logged
wifom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 05:29:08 PM »

Hello! I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I've sent you an e-mail detailing my works.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic