Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 11:36:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What kind of tutorials would you like to see?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What kind of tutorials would you like to see?  (Read 1466 times)
Snowstorm
Level 0

It's supposed to be pixel art, but whatever.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2014, 10:31:06 AM »

I want to organize a thread where novice users can ask advanced users how to do anything in GM. In turn, the advanced users write a tutorial that anyone can reference or look to. Ask away! I'll link the best ones.

Craig
Snowstorm
Flatgub
Level 0

My existence is questionable at best

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 09:43:19 PM »

I don't really have any suggestions, but if anyone needs help with stuff GM related, I'd be happy to help!  Coffee

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 08:43:06 AM »

This isn't specifically for me, but:

In my (admittedly brief) exploration of GM tutorials, I found that there was a very heavy GML slant. It made it hard for me to recommend tutorials to my class which was full of non-programmers. We did a crash-course in programming, but not enough to get them properly comfortable with it.

It'd be nice to see more GM tutorials that are confined to the visual tools for people who don't want to mess with programming yet.

Snowstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 10:59:09 AM »

It'd be nice to see more GM tutorials that are confined to the visual tools for people who don't want to mess with programming yet.

So more drag-and-drop functions and less GML?

Craig
Snowstorm
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 03:56:48 PM »

Exactly, yes. It's perhaps non-ideal from a long-term development perspective, but for people who are just starting out or just using GM casually, more drag-and-drop tutorials would be good.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 03:04:17 PM »

There was a thread like that already if you search the forums

denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »

A pixel-perfect scaling tutorial, for fullscreen and windowed, using very detailed explanations that a noob could understand. Something not obsolete.

A tutorial on text boxes and dialogue handling would be nice, too.

Game Maker for Beginners Part V+

Shaders tutorial

I can't think of anything else, but these were some of the things I couldn't find much info for. Generally, the solutions I tend to find are not written so that a noob could understand, which makes understanding what's going on in the code quite difficult.

Snowstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 10:30:37 PM »

A pixel-perfect scaling tutorial, for fullscreen and windowed, using very detailed explanations that a noob could understand. Something not obsolete.

Would it work to design your game at a low resolution (e.g. 400x300), turn off interpolation, and use some code like this to toggle fullscreen/windowed mode?

Code:
if window_get_fullscreen() 
    window_set_fullscreen(false);
else
    window_set_fullscreen(true);

Craig
Snowstorm
Flatgub
Level 0

My existence is questionable at best

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 02:35:47 PM »

Would it work to design your game at a low resolution (e.g. 400x300), turn off interpolation, and use some code like this to toggle fullscreen/windowed mode?
Code:
else

No, Game maker has issues at trying to scale things on its own, you need to draw everything to a surface, and then scale the surface to get pixel perfect scaling.
I'd write up a simple tutorial for it, but i'm busy with christmas-season stuff, so maybe after that!  Coffee

denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 11:23:38 AM »

Code:
else

No, Game maker has issues at trying to scale things on its own, you need to draw everything to a surface, and then scale the surface to get pixel perfect scaling.
I'd write up a simple tutorial for it, but i'm busy with christmas-season stuff, so maybe after that!  Coffee

I recently posted a topic in Technical looking for a way to do this, and ended up finding my own way, which works perfectly. I posted the results, but I'm not sure if there's a more efficient way to handle it. It would be nice if I could compare my method with what more experienced programmers would do. Please let me know if you end up doing that tutorial.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic