Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:20:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDick Rico : Case Of The Flying Dutchman (DevLog) [MAC/PC]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Dick Rico : Case Of The Flying Dutchman (DevLog) [MAC/PC]  (Read 13241 times)
iamwhatonearth
Level 0

Find me on tumblr: iamwhatonearth.tumblr.com

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 06:24:29 PM »

Looks good. c:

Find me on Tumblr: iamwhatonearth.tumblr.com
Find me on Deviantart: whatonearth.deviantart.com
The game I'm making: thetowncalleddata.weebly.com
macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 01:55:33 PM »

Not a huge update over the weekend , unfortunately I dislocated some ribs and sitting by the PC has been quite gruesome.

Added in a particle / weather effects.

I also rigged up another police officer.

My next goal is to finish up the upper part of the level as this is mean to be a scrollable environment. I'm not entirely sure how to handle the camera pan but I'll post my failures and hopefully some successes as I stumble across them Wink

Happy deving everyone!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:30:10 AM by macepoodle » Logged

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 08:11:15 PM »

Sorta some big news today, I managed to get my first test build out Smiley There's only the Title screen and the first areas wher you can walk around with the detective. I'm getting some issues with my Retina Macbook on the "New Game" image when in the title screen. The first Letter seems to be warped. It works fine for me on my Windows 7 machine.

Anyhow, if you guys have some time and feel like giving it a go on your OS, any technical bug reports would be much appreciated.

Here is a video of the build, recorded on a mac with that warped N in New Game.

PS: Ohh yeah, and I decided on ... well half the name  Shrug
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:30:40 AM by macepoodle » Logged

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 02:15:33 AM »

Really nice so far.
My only issue is that he walks faster than his animation. It looks like he's sliding around.

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 09:50:26 PM »

Thanks for the feedback it's much appreciated. Not a big update tonight. Just finishing up the upper portion of the level and made a little cam-pan animation. Ideally I would love to somehow make a single vertical panoramic image out of this so that I can scroll/pan it in game but I may be forced to use a video overlay.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:30:49 AM by macepoodle » Logged

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 10:10:34 AM »

Today it's a small update but it's something that's been giving me a lot of grief so I am glad to have been get past the obstacle.

I got text/dialogue working, added in pathing so that if a user clicks outside the bounds of the allowed walk-able space, the character will still travel in that direction as far as he can. Plus foreground objects so that he can go under lights and structures.

Video Preview:

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 10:16:15 PM »

Did a bit of world traveling the last two months but now I'm back and will devote most of my attention to finishing this guy by October.

I managed to get cut-scenes working as well as am in the process of developing more levels and environments.

Ohh yeahh... and I've decided on the main character name "Detective Rico Stone" thus the new title. Dick Rico : Case of the Flying Dutchman

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:31:13 AM by macepoodle » Logged

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 10:53:20 PM »

Good to see some more updates

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 07:38:12 PM »

@ Leo J : Thanks Mate  Wink

I finished up the Hotel Lobby level as well as the Penthouse window view of the Crime Scene.
Need to wrap up a few more levels then, it's all onto characters and populating the mystery. I'll post soon with more updates.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:31:24 AM by macepoodle » Logged

initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »

This is a great looking game. You've really nailed the 3D to sprite conversion.

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart.
macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2015, 08:05:55 PM »

Many thanks Initials Smiley

Tonight's update is a small one yet somewhat important. Me and Phoebe came up with a interesting idea last night. Instead of having one way to end the game, the plot would be up to the player and how they investigate the crime scene. Being shows a conclusion based on what deductive path they took during the adventure.

This is all still very early concept but for example if the player did almost nothing they would still be able to dub the crime-scene a suicide.

Also, going on steam greenlight is still ways off but here's a little branding image I've been tinkering with on the side.

Thanks for looking, will be back with more stuff soon.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:31:41 AM by macepoodle » Logged

pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 12:44:48 AM »

I like the newspaper idea. I think it suits the style very well.
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 03:09:04 PM »

Good idea with the multiple outcomes.
Are you planning on doing one investigation for now? Episodes, chapters etc?

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2015, 11:24:09 PM »

@Leo - Yes this is the first game I'm trying to do solo so I will just concentrate on one investigation with multiple outcomes. I'm hoping to learn a lot on this project.

Update:

First UI test. I'm not happy with it yet so I'm sure it will go through a lot of changes. I also incorporated a score based system but it's still not a sure thing. I may nix it depending on how the next few weeks go smile

I'll try to post back soon with more updates, thanks for the support.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:31:49 AM by macepoodle » Logged

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 01:26:21 AM »

Tonight's update is a small one yet somewhat important. Me and Phoebe came up with a interesting idea last night. Instead of having one way to end the game, the plot would be up to the player and how they investigate the crime scene. Being shows a conclusion based on what deductive path they took during the adventure.

That's a really good idea. If the crime was committed by more than one person there could be options on who you catch, e.g. different evidence would point to different people or if you get enough evidence on the scene then you could catch all the suspects
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2015, 01:54:24 PM »

Although the ui character art is cool, to me it clashes with the super blocky game art. Looking great overall!

Sabaku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2015, 02:03:58 PM »

I'd buy this poster, Sir!

meowanme
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2015, 07:50:15 PM »

This looks so cool!  Do the art assets remain in 3D in the game engine or do they get converted to a 2D sprite?

I do have to agree with Leo J about the UI character art clashing with the main game character art though.  With the blocky pixel style, I get to use my imagination to fill in some of the visual blanks and infer who this person is, but when I see the high-res UI character I sort of think "woah, that doesn't look like who I had in mind at all."  Kind of like when a book you love gets made into a movie and the movie characters don't look like the characters in your imagination.

What if the UI character art is just the portrait of the character in blocky style?  I seem to remember a lot of old-school adventure games doing that and your blocky style is recalling some of those old pixel adventures.

Anyway, whatever you do, it's looking great so far and I can't wait to see how this progresses!
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2015, 03:19:23 PM »

This art style is incredible!  I'm impressed that you captured the "2D Sprite" feel in a fully 3D scope.  Well done!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2015, 04:24:40 PM »

I know it's work in progress but the fine outline of the text also clashes. You could still achieve the contrast if you placed the text over a dark shaded box.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic