Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:56:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDick Rico : Case Of The Flying Dutchman (DevLog) [MAC/PC]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Dick Rico : Case Of The Flying Dutchman (DevLog) [MAC/PC]  (Read 13254 times)
wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2015, 06:39:37 AM »

Nice. That pixelation of your characters really works well and the animations are great Smiley
But I feel like you're missing the same effect on the environment itself, which still feels very 3Dish. I think its mostly because of the flat surfaces with lights on them that causes these smooth gradients. Maybe you should add some pixelated tileable textures to the environment?
Just a suggestion, looks awesome nonetheless!  Gentleman

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2015, 10:19:01 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback guys Smiley

I'm happy to say that I've managed to add in a lot of technical stuff that I will come in handy for the rest of the game. Level Of Detail System based on Camera Distance for additional detail on Close up Events being the most apparent one Smiley

Link to a video of the latest game-play footage :

Getting Hitched in a little over a week so the next update will probably come mid-march, also hoping on having a playable demo by end of March!

Again, thank you for all your support and interest.

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2015, 11:54:32 AM »

Hey guys Smiley

Was able to put together the first alpha build. I was wondering if anyone would be able to test it on windows 7 or windows 8. I'm mostly interested in seeing if the Fullscreen / Windowed modes work correctly. (Options Menu - Lower Left Corner)

Windows Alpha Link: http://dickrico.com/dev/builds/DickRico_Alpha_0_21.zip

Currently You can walk around the two starting areas.
Talk to Detective Cas
Inspect the Dead guy
Retrieve one item.
Inspect/Look at a few things

Thanks for your help ahead of time.

0x78
Level 0

?

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »

Windowed and fullscreen work on Windows 8.1 for me though I can still see my Windows cursor along with the in game one.
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2015, 07:36:17 PM »

Yeah, I could also see the cursor. Couldn't exit either.
How do you leave a zoomed in scene?

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2015, 05:28:21 AM »

what happens when he gets a dick tingle
macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2015, 12:03:03 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys Smiley

@Leo J : You leave the zoomed in area currently by mousing over the lower right corner and a "Leave Examination Area" icon appears.

@0x78 :  Thanks for testing, I need to figure out this cursor situation. I need to tweak unity to hide that cursor somehow.

@Superb Joe : Haha, we are yet to see!

Today I'm just gonna drop some new art assets on you guys, been doing a lot of world building.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2015, 12:10:36 PM »

since i was ignored in the other thread about a detective game, i think you should consider naming the protagonist Detective Dick Liquor
pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2015, 04:17:59 AM »

You can walk "underneath" Allan, but is looking pretty good so far
jovanmilic97
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2015, 04:23:47 AM »

This is shaping to be a great game,good luck with the project!
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2015, 05:57:33 AM »

Loving this! You have another follower!

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2015, 06:01:43 AM »

Loving the visuals, is like I'm back to 1995. Keeping my eyes on this Smiley

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2015, 06:39:43 AM »

Awww  Tears of Joy Thanks for all the support and feedback guy Smiley Very much appreciated.

amateurhour
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2015, 09:01:51 AM »

This looks fantastic! Downloading the demo now.

I've used AGS in the past but never Visionaire. It seemed a little clunky (which is weird if you're comparing to AGS I know) but I noticed you now ported over to Unity.

Did you build the engine from the ground up or did you use the Adventure Creator add on from the asset store?

Good job!

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2015, 07:35:09 PM »

@ amateurhour: Hi and thanks for your support Smiley Yeah I started out the project in Visionaire Studio but I like to work on my macbook a lot when I'm mobile and it the latest update to their engine broke the ability for me to be able to do that. I wasn't able to work when traveling so I decided to switch over to Unity. This should not take away any credit from the Visionaire guys as I really enjoy their engine and I hope they make it work for OSX as it should. And yes, the move to unity was only possible due to Adventure Creator. It took me a few days to figure out how to migrate over but it wasn't too difficult, I totally recommend it now that I've gotten a hang of it. Chris , the creator of AC answers technical questions on their forum on a nightly basis so problem solving is usually no more than a 24hr thing.

amateurhour
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2015, 06:19:03 AM »

Yeah he posted about it in the AGS forums and honestly I think a lot of people who aren't the "old guard" have switched over to it since AGS will NEVER have true multiple OS portability unless they rewrite the engine from scratch. I LOVE AGS but it sucks making games that can only run on windows. (with few exceptions)

I need to pick up AC and Unity and start playing around with it. So I'm curious as to how you've build the game in AC. Did you use his 3D system or his 2D system? It looks like your characters have rigging and are 3d objects on a 2d surface so I wasn't sure.

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »

@ amateurhour: Hi : When you get AC you have to import it into a new unity project. The import comes prepackaged with both the 2D scene and 3D scene demo. You can use either one to start working on your adventure. I'm personally using the a 2.5D system that I'm still working on getting to play nice Smiley

BTW there's currently a #AdventureJam going on for the next two weeks, a very good time to make a short adventure game and learn in the process.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2015, 01:57:34 PM »

Congrats on the getting of the hitching!

I tried out the demo and the menu (lower left/and score) seem to be working fine full screen. Initially, at the beginning, my cursor and the in-game cross-hair had unresolved differences (my cursor would show on the screen and would be separated from the in-game cross-hair by a few centimeters).

I refreshed my full-screen (went out and then went back to full-screen), and it fixed itself.

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2015, 07:16:12 AM »

Hey guys, been a little while since my last update. Here are a few new sets.

Also here's the laundry room with a little "keep alive" animation applied.

Thanks for your support.

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2015, 08:46:13 PM »

Finished a few more areas of the game Wink More to come soon. Thanks for your support.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic