Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:35:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGame Idea, Feedback Requested.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Idea, Feedback Requested.  (Read 1017 times)
Trash_Empire
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2014, 09:51:07 AM »

I have always been a programmer, and lately I am looking into game development. I have a really big idea for an actual commercial project, but I am not ready as a game developer to start that project. So, I am trying to do something smaller to learn the essentials. I'm thinking of an I wanna be the guy clone called either I wanna be the Doctor or just The Doctor. I'm thinking of making it in Flashpunk, making the art in GraphicsGale, and I'm not quite sure what I want to use for audio. Probably Bfxr and audacity, or Pxtone or something. Anyways, the character is this little pixel guy in scrubs(I will be sure to post as soon as I have visuals) who throws needles as his attack. Obviously he will be able to double jump to avoid all kinds of hospital themed nonsense to follow suit with the IWBTG tradition. I am thinking jump refreshers will be a medicine vial. Well, that is all I have thought of so far. A basic idea really, and any help with the idea, or the tools would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of a good Flashpunk learning companion that would be great. Thanks, Devlizard.
Uykered
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 04:45:04 PM »

Those tools are fine.
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 06:48:10 AM »

I think the best advice I can give would be:  Don't expect much from the small ideas you learn from.  The goal isn't to create the next blockbuster hit.  The goal is to learn the concepts you need in order to make the next blockbuster hit.
Trash_Empire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »

I think the best advice I can give would be:  Don't expect much from the small ideas you learn from.  The goal isn't to create the next blockbuster hit.  The goal is to learn the concepts you need in order to make the next blockbuster hit.
I know, that is why I am trying out this small IWBTG fan game to learn the basics of Flashpunk. I am not expecting anything from it, and I will not start my big idea until I am very confident with the essentials.
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 06:00:41 PM »

If you're using a doctor theme, two ideas for you:
There are people in each room you have to heal, some within a time limit (i.e. before they die) and some just at any time. Simple enough to code and makes for interesting gameplay (strategies involving the order of saving people). Add some doors and triggers for the doors you can shoot and timed platforms etc and make it a puzzling platform shooter?
Also since it's a doctor maybe have an immune system bar that increases when near or touching diseases, anything dangerous, or people that haven't been cured, and decreases when you get medicine (set points around the level), or rest (standing still at any point in the level- some places would have traps that only go off if you stand still in IWBTG tradition).

Don't just make it another fangame if you can, be original (in easy-to-make-and-program ways)

Josias Jose
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 05:35:11 AM »

The rest idea works well with the time limit of some of people you have to save: you can take a deep breath and recover, but that means less time to save them, what gives some depth to the game - you can go through it just trying to see the end, what's more about having enough persistence Hand Any Key, or trying to save everybody, which forces the player to learn how to be fast and more precise in each stage.

Maybe some sort of medicine in the stage that gives you temporary powers? Some item that does the opposite would be a nice addition, and it's not that used in games. Examples are the red Continues in Jurassic Park for Master System, and the Eggman Monitors in Sonic 3: http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Eggman_Mark
Trash_Empire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 11:53:25 AM »

I do really like the idea of power ups. Also, the idea of an immune system bar is neat. I'm probably going to start actually building the game sometime within the next week. Does anyone know of a good companion for learning flashpunk, like other than the tutorials on the website? Like is the Documentation potent enough for that, or is there something else that is good? Thanks, DevLizard.
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »

best advice I have: Join every gamejam you can, especially group gamejams. You get a day to week long (most are short) exposure to all aspects of game creation.

I wish they existed back in the early 1990s when I started game dev!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic