Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:03:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Where to start for pixel art?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Where to start for pixel art?  (Read 2237 times)
Trash_Empire
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2014, 10:32:26 AM »

I have no idea where to start in pixel art. I got a copy of graphicsgale, and it was a really confusing interface. When I tried drawing in it, everything just looked awful. How do you get stuff to look symmetrical, and nice? Anybody who can point me in the direction of a really potent tutorial on art and/or pixel art, then that would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am thoroughly lost.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 10:52:03 AM »

graphicsgale is more of a animation tool.
You should start in something more conventional, like photshop or Gimp.
Trash_Empire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 11:19:02 AM »

Thanks, but how do I start?
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 11:21:13 AM »

http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/42648699708/pixel-art-tutorial get at this, learn to draw.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »

Gas13 tutorial
2 hours of drawing each day.
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 11:42:24 AM »

I have some useful links here on my DA http://7soul1.deviantart.com/journal/Pixel-art-tutorials-464389102
And remember to practice, practice and practice (and practice)

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 12:57:28 PM »

Graphics gale has a very customizable interface. Take some time placing things where they feel comfortable and set up some custom hotkeys.

To learn I'd say start small. Make a 16*16 sprite with four colours. Study how other people do things. Read some colour theory and anatomy and whatnot.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 03:45:04 PM by Schoq » Logged

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Blambo
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 03:40:20 PM »

art first pixel later
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 06:02:42 PM »

I have some pixel art tutorial videos that I've worked on for awhile now.

I probably would agree with BLAMBO that the basics and structure for pixel art lies in normal art as well, but I'm sure not everyone who pixels effectively can draw well on pen and paper. So the skills transfer, but I think you can get pretty proficient at pixel art, or perhaps even normal art, by just going purely through pixel art.

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 03:21:27 AM »

art first pixel later

disagree superficially, agree in principle

learn art through pixels or learn pixels through art

doesn't matter, regardless you must learn how to art in some way. doing it by pixels will teach you lots regardless

but it is true that every good pixel artist I've seen also knows how to create good art in other mediums - it's the same knowledge applied to different media
Alicecomma
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 07:52:09 AM »

To get better at pixel art you'll need to learn about the same things as you would when you were doing any similar art. It works both ways too, if you're stuck making e.g a pixel tree you're be better off sketching it on paper and studying traditional art tutorials on it than bruteforcing it in png format.

If you feel like pixel art is more your thing than something else, go for it. I started by making graphical mods for a game I liked, moved on to another game and started drawing stuff whenever I felt like it.
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 08:23:32 AM »

graphicsgale is more of a animation tool.
You should start in something more conventional, like photshop or Gimp.

I totally disagree. Graphics Gale is a perfect tool to learn pixel art. It works straight of the box. I use both Photoshop and Graphics Gale and I can confirm Graphics Gale is the easiest to learn and use. Use Graphics Gale, I swear by it.

If you want a shitty tutorial by a shitty pixel artist, I wrote one here:
http://crateboy.deviantart.com/art/TUTORIAL-How-To-Create-a-Pixel-Art-Character-456950505
Don't tell TIGsource you got if from me though, art is serz business here  Who, Me?

Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 01:36:15 PM »

Fundamentals in drawing/art are fairly important prior to pixeling, as it boils down the same thing really. It's just a matter of practice. Examining other pixel pieces up close will also do wonders

If Graphicsgale had a challenging interface for you, just use MS paint. There isn't a need for anything with more complex features if you're just starting out. Hell, I'd say MS paint takes the cake for pixel art as long as you're not looking into making animated Gifs.

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 12:15:04 AM »

If it doesn't look good, work on it until it does. One of my biggest problems when I was starting was that I'd get frustrated and stop working. Once I stopped giving up, the art started turning out the way I wanted.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 02:35:13 AM »

If Graphicsgale had a challenging interface for you, just use MS paint.
Best pixeling tool, ruined in Win7  Cry
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 07:02:40 AM »

If it doesn't look good, work on it until it does. One of my biggest problems when I was starting was that I'd get frustrated and stop working. Once I stopped giving up, the art started turning out the way I wanted.

Oh, hey, it's you! Good to see your little pixel dudes again.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic