Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:06:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudio[VOTING] TIGSource Musical Challenge XXXV - "Going Up?"
Poll
Question: There can only be one.
Leo J - Take Me to the Clouds - 8 (72.7%)
rj™ - elevator music - 1 (9.1%)
Matt Beckett - Going Up - 2 (18.2%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [VOTING] TIGSource Musical Challenge XXXV - "Going Up?"  (Read 994 times)
ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2014, 06:19:55 PM »

And our 3 finalists are... *drumroll*

Leo J - Take Me to the Clouds: https://leoj.bandcamp.com/track/take-me-to-the-clouds-elevator-music-2014
rj™ - elevator music https://soundcloud.com/spellmynamewithabang/elevator-music
Matt Beckett - Going Up https://soundcloud.com/mattimeatball/going-up

Edit : the poll will be closed next sunday, november 9th

Again, thank you to the 4 participants. Now you're free to start voting and I'm going to get to my feedback and explain a bit more about my choice. Don't read the following if you don't want your vote to be influenced!

---------------------------------------------------------

Leo J - Take Me to the Clouds:
So, here we have a "classic" sounding take on elevator music, with an ethereal vibe brought by the soft production, harp and floaty synths. I really like the production, it sounds clear and balanced, and I can appreciate the fact that you've put some effort into making some of the instruments sound real.
Composition-wise, there are enough changes in the arrangement and chords to keep it interesting, even though the rhythm is always the same apart from the drum fills. The composition is more harmonic than melodic and I can't really whistle anything from it, which I had listed as a criterion. Overall though, it's quite a peaceful, nice bit of music, and for some reason it reminded me of some of the music in rayman 1 or trackmania.

KeepItSimple - The Elevator is the Music
Obviously a much more original and daring piece of music. Did you record the violin yourself or was it a sample?
Using instruments in the stead of sfx adds a lot of character to the story you want to tell, and I've always found it interesting (you might like

.)
However, if I take into account the criteria I had laid out... I definitely can't tap my feet or whistle to this! Maybe you've had a bad experience with elevators, I don't know, but I was expecting some chill, feelgood music and you took me by surprise! That voice specifically, damn. Even in a ghost train I wouldn't expect the announcer to be that scary.
So yeah, overall, points for originality of course, but I suspect we don't have the same views on elevators at all.  Shrug

rj™ - elevator music
My first thought while listening to your track was "this isn't elevator music, this is waiting-room-core!". Which I guess is close enough. The percussion is the best part of the track, the reversed hi-hat (if I'm not mistaken) makes it neat and funky. I wasn't too much into the arpeggio at 0:31. The filter is interesting and I liked it, but it makes the bass sound overpowering when it already already had a lot of presence with these long notes.
It reminded me of Scrapland a little bit, probably because of

Matt Beckett - Going Up
This is the most melodic of the submissions, which is definitely a good point for me. The drums sound good, they actually sound quite similar to what Leo used - do you two use the same vst? The xylophone (?) part is fun, very naive and joyous. I wasn't really into the 8-bit aesthetic though. That might be a matter of taste but I would have enjoyed the track way more if it was made with real (or sampled) instruments only. I particularly found the instrument with the delay to be somewhat grating. But composition-wise I thought the track was pretty good, and I liked the way the verse and chorus flow naturally.
Overall I felt like the track might be too happy for an elevator and not chill enough (I more easily envisioned a j-rpg flowery village to go along with it), but its melody was the most memorable of all.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 05:05:21 PM by ArnoldSavary » Logged

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 09:13:24 PM »

Thanks and glad you enjoyed the tune! Great job to the other 3.
Probably put a closing date on the poll.

ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 12:22:21 PM »

Voting is over, congratulations to Leo J!

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 07:44:59 PM »

Thanks guys, I'll make a new one soon.

The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 05:57:09 PM »

Question: I didn't know about this challenge... so what are the odds that I wrote a song inspired by elevators called Going Up in the exact timeframe of the challenge without knowing about it?

Well, it just happened.

Shocked

Should I post it, or...?

ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 06:20:07 PM »

Haha, that's pretty awesome. Sure, post it!

The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 06:55:04 PM »

http://puu.sh/cNg7z/00cb2076fe.wav

It wasn't quite as elevator-ey as I was going for but I think it turned out pretty okay.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic