Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:03:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesPress F to Pay Respects
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Press F to Pay Respects  (Read 8491 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2014, 07:11:21 AM »

Games have changed man. If this was made back in the day as a nintendo game, the funeral scene would be a platformer and you would have to run the whole way across the level and make it to the coffin in order to pay your respects. You'd have to dodge angry gravestones, other mourners, probably some crows flying by, maybe even be a skeleton or two rising from the grave that throw bones at you in an arc formation. then when you finally manage to make it to the coffin, you attempt to pay your respects but when you look inside you realize there's nothing in it. The body is in a different coffin. So you hop down a warp pipe, do it 7 more times and the game is over. See, back in those days games were actually HARD and took SKILL. You didn't have any of this "press F" to win the level nonsense. In those days, you didn't get luxuries like a machine gun to take out waves of enemies, you had to do it with your own bare shoes. And you definitely didn't have any of this compact disk stuff that you just stick the game in the console and it automatically works, you had to actually do WORK and blow on the cartage to play. For an old game, you had to blow your brains out if you wanted it to work. For these day's games, you want to blow your brains out when it does work. Games have changed man. QED.

best post
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2014, 08:03:30 AM »

What if you have no money?

Yeah.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »

best post

HCR always has the best posts

Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2014, 03:59:16 PM »

$B:SAD
Press (B) to be.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 06:53:30 PM by Siilk » Logged
PowRTocH
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2014, 08:39:16 PM »

https://twitter.com/PressXToBot
Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2014, 06:09:35 AM »

Brilliant!
troubadour
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2015, 07:15:40 AM »

Mild necro of this post, but I'm really surprised I got three pages in without mention of possibly the most effective use of the QTE/Press X To Advance Plot mechanic: Metal Gear Solid 3. Forcing the player to take the action is one of those meaningful uses like the example given in the original post. And then, having done it, you get the full truth of the story and feel every bit of the grief that Naked Snake does, because you are him at that point. (At least if you're human)
gouchi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 07:19:28 AM »

(Spoilers)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2015, 11:18:20 PM »

since were back to talking about it...

i think im fine with QTE as cinematic / narrative events, but rarely are they really done "WELL" and man can they utterly totally ruin a mood. that last tomb raider was pretty excellent in most aspects, but then you'd suddenly be torn from this immersive world of detailed, confident controls and thrown haphazardly into what can only be described as "bad free shockwave game"-level "hit button when blue circle gets to here" garbage that would just cycle over and over until to scramble your way through it. for such an otherwise highly polished, ambitious game to have such jarring, bafflingly lame QTE design surprised me.

admittedly a few early instances were, if not "elegant", than at lease "effective" (notably the various impalings that got so much attention. shock value, sure, but... effective), but as the game progressed they just got worse and worse. then, in the worst case scenario for this sort of thing, the final boss fight that you've spent hours leading up to, after this fantastic, protracted uphill battle in a tornado, is... you guessed it... A FUCKING QTE! that suddenly changes all your weapons to suit the QTE narrative! i. was. so. mad. even talking about it makes me mad. M A D. disappointed. because i liked so many other things about that game! i would have replayed it right then and there, but now i never will because it was so disappointing!

thats what a quick time events do man.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:25:46 PM by jamesprimate » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic