Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:09:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)I cant animate
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I cant animate  (Read 1140 times)
IMMENSE
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »

I have a character i drew in 32x32 then scaled him up to 64x64 . His arms and legs are 1 pixel wide . I want a smooth realistic walking animation but I just cant seem to get the legs right ...

is there any animaiton tutorial as this is my first attempt at a character with legs longer then a pixel or 2 .

I would post a pic but I am unaware how .

sorry .
Canned Turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 12:57:27 PM »

http://www.manningkrull.com/pixel-art/walking.php

To post a picture:
save the image
go to imgur.com
upload it
copy the url
use this
[img]*url*[*/img]
but delete the asterisks and put the url in the middle
IMMENSE
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 01:00:56 PM »

oh thank you for the help . here is the drawing i cant move ....

I will check out that tutorial .

alright so i couldnt get it to work so here is link to imgur .

http://imgur.com/lWUO48P
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 01:22:42 PM »

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/lWUO48P.png[/img]

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
IMMENSE
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 01:32:17 PM »

thank you for help Dacke  Smiley
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 02:21:04 PM »

so animation takes a lot of practice, before you start internalizing it, and know what to expect.  to give you some structure it's good to start with key poses, the most extremes of say the walking animation (arms and legs fully extended), but they could be any other pose for any other kind of action that you want to show off.  then it's a matter of just filling in the frames between those key poses.  Give yourself a set number of frames before you start, a good walking animation is generally 8 frames, an even number works well for looping animations.

I definitely referenced walking/running frames that you can just google up, before I just knew it.

Avoiding stiff animations is a matter of thinking about where the limbs are attached, the pelvis sockets and the shoulders, and how these rotate/tilt on a axis (usually counter to eachother, maybe not always), even if it's subtle rotation, it's good to get that in there.

animating is daunting if you're not comfortable with it, like anything else it's just a matter of constantly doing it until it's not such a deal to do.  highly advise just animating for fun and everyday.  There are things you just start to pick up on, or at least you should try to be sensitive to like the notion/feeling of weight, energy and how you can play with that.

anyways just start with reference for walking, other motions you might just have to act it out yourself or just imagine it and feel it out.

everyone recommends the animators survival kit, it's useful just to give a read through.
IMMENSE
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 02:34:16 PM »

alright i will definitely give that guide a read thanks for recommendation . yeah i have always wanted to make a game with realistic approach to character movement but i get so frustrated by the animating i get unmotivated . Also because i cant see the animation until all frames are complete by the time i gte to 3rd-4th frame i tend to give up because i dont believe it is any good .

i will work at it
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 02:57:44 PM »

yea break the frames down like I said, and just keep working it until it's fine, you'll get down eventually.
here's a strip: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

0 and 4 are key frames
you block those in first, because you block those in first you'll kind of know how you're animation is gonna end rather than when you do the frames sequentially.
here's a break down of when you should do frames
- 0 4
- 0 2 4 6
- 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

doing it this way you'll always have an idea of what the resulting animation is going to be.
Uber
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 05:37:06 PM »

If you can't animate I wouldn't recommend doing it. It can't be that hard though.

indie developer - codeuniversal
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 06:13:18 PM »

:| everyone starts from somewhere you gotta struggle if you want to get anywhere, with art and with anything
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »

If you can't animate I wouldn't recommend doing it. It can't be that hard though.

Yeah, this is a very strange comment. It's literally saying "if you can't _____, don't try". That's a very defeatist and frustrated perspective, man.

Anyway, Keo's advice is solid, and working at animations in stages helps to keep morale up (since you can essentially stop when you want or continue to add details and improve smoothness). Just don't worry about getting good, and just animate stuff. The more you do it, the better you'll get. Just keep at it.

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 05:14:42 AM »

https://www.google.se/search?q=walk+cycle

start here (go to images)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic