Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:21:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Shmup: Sprite sizes
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shmup: Sprite sizes  (Read 1222 times)
fatBread
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2014, 11:55:37 AM »

I'm currently doing a very basic shmup and, so far, I've drawn every sprite with a pretty arbitrary size. I didn't worry too much about it but now I'm not so sure if it's the best approach to take.
Is it best to establish a base size (let's say 16x16) and if I want bigger sprites I can to multiples of that? Would that be beneficial?

I don't know if I'm overthinking this but I would love to know what's the best way to do this.

Also, sorry if this isn't thread worthy but I have no other idea where to post this.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 03:24:38 PM »

There's no limit or specific number you should keep to in particular, I wouldn't think. However, having fixed sizes for things helps to make design a bit easier overall. It's easy to say, "Oh, this enemy's kinda small. Let me just make him twice as large" and have a general idea for how large he'll appear in-game (since it's based on certain sizes, and you know how small or large the basic character in the game appears as).

Basically, if you start slowing down in development because of one thing or another, then that might be a sign that you need to rethink or fix up your design or process of development (including sprite sizes).

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 11:51:43 PM »

Unless there's some limitation holding you don't stick too strictly to it.

That said, many old games used sizes in multiplies of 8 because of hardware limitations (we're talking about 8×8 blocks in a pixel density of about 320×240, increase as needed for higher resolutions), so that may be useful as a guideline. And yes, this applies even to the HUD =P
fatBread
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 04:43:18 AM »

Thanks for the advice!

Now that I'm redoing some (most) of my assets I think I'm going to try and base them on fixed sizes (16x16, 32x32) to help me and maybe to make the whole art style more consistent. I won't be too strict about it and use it more as a guide-line. Since I'm a beginner at pixel-art (and not a great artist to begin with) it will probably be good to have those guidelines in place.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic