Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:41:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStranger on the 103rd Floor
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Stranger on the 103rd Floor  (Read 17403 times)
Collarblind
Level 0

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 08:04:36 AM »

I could actually just slow down time to about 1/10th of normal speed Undecided That might be pretty cool  Smiley

That would be awesome to look at! And it would still urge the player to decide and act relatively fast! Good thinking!  Noir

I make the stuff you hear when playing games! Shazam!

YouTube
SoundCloud
Tumblr
Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 11:50:26 AM »

Update #6

I've been experimenting with some procedural generation methods. Most buildings will be more vertical than horizontal and the player should be able to go outside and around the building to try and enter or escape. The first building is made up of three large blocks and each block is divided up into smaller rooms. These smaller rooms will vary in size and some will be vaults the player can break into. I used a technique similar to dungeon creation where the "squaring the square" method is used. First a 4 x 4 grid is created of varying colours (Blue, green or red depending on difficulty, each with a different percentage chance of being generated. Vaults will be put in later as yellow). The 4x4 grid is then looped through and larger rooms are made. The colour of the large room is dependent on the colour of the tile it starts on. I could probably mash these two functions together into one at a later stage

Here's the process for one block:

Blocks are then added together and linked thorugh doorways. Still working on how I'm going to do the doors and path through the level

This is just for the first building, more shape rooms will be added soon enough  Smiley
Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 01:45:19 AM »

Update #7 Radio Towers & Level Generation

The above method of level generation is complete for one block of a level, now just to add loads of content and possible level layouts. This will mean trying to convert the levels I've been testing into parts which can be linked together to create something meaningful. I've already done a few but they need a lot more work!

I've also added Radio Towers. When a drone spots the player or when a guard is alerted he will try and radio for back-up. By destroying the radio tower or disabling it using an emp style device, the enemy won't be able to call for help. There should be one in each of the large blocks, so about two to three per level. If a guard fails to call for help he can choose to chase the player or fly to the next block and call for help. That's the idea anyway!

I don't have any visual updates but below is a gif of a buggy sound ring!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 01:52:04 AM by Paul » Logged
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 02:08:45 AM »

A buggy sound ring? Just show me more ropes! Can't go wrong with ropes. Just like when making love. Wait what?

Seriously this looks promising. And I have to check out that node canvas thingy. Never seen it in Unity

On STEAM ยป
Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 04:29:39 AM »

Just show me more ropes!

You'll get your ropes! right after I finish alllll this other stuff
IstanaAngin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 06:51:59 AM »

good work

looks fast and fun
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 07:02:30 AM »

Make the radio towers actually look like those buggy sound rings. It looks like a minimal way to show a radio wave is being used to me.  Toast Right

Once you get procedural levels in, maybe experiment with D-Pad item selection but let the player choose *which* 4 items are mapped to the D-Pad, either before the level starts, limiting their selection and adding tension, or during the level as sort of a "quickdraw toolbelt" so you can get a few items out faster than normal.

Gameplay looks great- and directional explosions are a really cool idea. They'll be all right. Unless you aim left.

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 07:18:09 AM »

This game looks awesome. I would love to play with all those gadgets. Expecially the ropes  Well, hello there!

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 01:43:45 AM »

Thanks for the comments!

Expecially the ropes  Well, hello there!

Working on making them swingable now so hopefully will have some gifs after this weekend!

sort of a "quickdraw toolbelt" so you can get a few items out faster than normal

This has been mentioned before. I might try it out and see how it plays. Thanks for the suggestion!

So I have a big to-do list to get done over the next month or so
  • More enemy types (Drones & Turrets)
  • Finishing the Level Generation (Doors and linking rooms is still an issue)
  • Ropes (That you can swing on!)
  • More gadgets (EMP Grenades and some other stuff!)

Hopefully then I'll have something playable for testing!  Smiley

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:51:11 AM by Paul » Logged
Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 02:19:27 PM »

Update #8 Swingy Ropes
Ok so the ropes are finally complete and relatively bug free! Struggled with a few collision detection issues and the rope not hooking to the right corner of the tile but I rewrote most of it and it seems to be pretty solid now

The player can still run around with the rope and plant it wherever they want, but when you press the "Hold" button you grab hold and can swing. This kind of gives the best of both worlds, as I was initially just going to let the player fix them to a surface rather than swing.

They can be shot mid-jump and held onto or used to lower yourself down onto another platform. This should give the player more options in getting around the level and also allow them to go outside the building and enter from another angle

CTRL_ALT_DEL
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2014, 07:16:55 PM »

Looks great, I can't wait to play it!
TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 01:27:24 PM »

Looks rad, keeping an eye on this one!

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2014, 02:41:14 PM »

Update #9 Visuals

I'm in the middle of experimenting with different styles and how I want the game to look. I want to keep it simple and relatively colourful so everything will be clear to the player. For this reason I'm thinking of going with a flat shaded low poly style. It's simple and allows for some cool shadow effects which will work well with the stealth aspects of the game. Below is a gif of the shadows on a unfinished low poly model. It's stepped shadows instead of gradient shading. It has a bit of a Kentucky Route Zero look to it but with more shadow effects. I was also loving the way the newest Strider game looked, especially the guards and backgrounds so I'm using that as a basis for this.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:34:37 AM by Paul » Logged
Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2015, 11:49:16 AM »

Update #9.5 Small Animations

Been a while since the last update so made some gifs of animations made in Blender. The first one has a bit more bounce to it. Not sure if it's over animated but I think it came out ok?? These were from a week or so ago after I created the model. I want to experiment with shadows and stuff but unfortunately I'm using the free version of Unity which only has shadows for one type of lighting so I wasn't getting exactly what I wanted. It will have to wait tho, I want to go back to work on more of the gameplay stuff again for the next few days

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2015, 01:41:10 AM »

Update #10 Linking Things

Been back working on the gameplay side of things and added a linking system. This allows you to link different items together during a level and create a chain reaction of events. So for example, a stun bomb with a sensor might be detonated, this then turns on the timer on a bomb which starts to countdown which in turn enables the a smoke bomb... This example is shown in the gif below as it's much easier to show than explain! The player can time their items together to plan out and set off these kind of reactions to get them through areas

Donutttt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 03:36:00 AM »

Really like the graphical style, reminds me a bit of 'Flashback' for some reason
BeaKManiak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 07:18:39 AM »

The linking system looks gorgeous! Ah, the possibilities!

Migni: The Last Flame - DevLog | IndieDB | Minduck Studios
Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2015, 10:26:57 AM »

CTRL_ALT_DEL, TurboGun, Donutttt & BeaKManiak thanks for the comments!

Really like the graphical style, reminds me a bit of 'Flashback' for some reason

Hah I wish I could create something half as good as that. Hopefully the final style will still be simple and easy to read but have some more depth/character to it

The linking system looks gorgeous! Ah, the possibilities!

This is what I'm hoping for. Players will be able to create large chains of events with all the tools, giving them tonnes of ways to get through the level.
I was initially hoping I could do procedural levels but I'll have to see how this mechanic plays into it. I don't want to add procedural levels if the player can't use the tools they have to their full potential
Ninety
Level 1

turnip boy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2015, 07:27:40 PM »

Reminds me of the Crosslink from Gunpoint. Looking good.

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 02:03:30 AM »

Reminds me of the Crosslink from Gunpoint. Looking good.

Hah that's true, and I love Gunpoint Noir. I think it will probably play fairly differently even if the linking system seems similar. I needed a way to create these chain reactions and this was one of the best options
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic