Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:07:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNo More Probes - Survival/ RTS - Playable Alpha
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: No More Probes - Survival/ RTS - Playable Alpha  (Read 1646 times)
atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2014, 12:34:02 AM »

At long last my first public Alpha Build is a fact. I will be more than happy to read your feedback guys.

You can visit www.nomoreprobes.com

Play it in Browser

or download it from Here

I will be more than happy to read all of your feedback about:

- Do you find the game to be challenging
- Do you encounter serious bug such as freezes, game stops working and etc.
- How is it running on your PC ( you can Press T to see the FPS )
- How far did you managed to go

Be sure to check the Controls section of the game before starting a level

Keyboard Controls:

W,S,A,D - movement
E - Gather Junk resources, Charge Generator, Repair Sentries
Q - Turn On or Off the Generator
1 - Build Sentries
Spacebar - Place Sentries
2 - Build Canarache ( Helicopter )
Arrow Key - Move Canarche
Right Control - Activate Defense Mode on Canarche if you have the upgrade
ESC - Cancel build order

Gamepad Controls:

Left Analog Stick - movement
A - Gather Junk resources, Charge Generator, Repair Sentries
Y - Turn On or Off the Generator
Hold left Trigger - Access build order menu. D-Pad to navigate, A button to confirm
A - Place Sentries
Right Analog Stick - Move Canarche
Y - Activate Defense Mode on Canarche if you have the upgrade
B - Cancel build order
X - Evade

dorf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 04:32:13 AM »

Hello, I've tried your game. I like the look of the game Smiley

- Do you find the game to be challenging
Yes! But managable.
As I've played, I've died a lot. But with each death I went back to the "controls" screen to review my knowledge and what I need to do. So, in time I've gotten a bit better.

- Do you encounter serious bug such as freezes, game stops working and etc.
No serious bugs like that, but I've found that sometimes two or more texts are being shown at the same time above my character. After the first night I was frantically moving, and when I've decided to stop, my character still walked some distance before actually stopping. Note that I wasn't pressing any keys, but the character was still moving for a few seconds.

- How is it running on your PC ( you can Press T to see the FPS )
~60 FPS in the beginning and ~37 FPS when 33 of evil robots are rendered on screen.
My PC is about 7 years old. Core 2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD 5670, Chrome.

- How far did you managed to go
Wave 4.
atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 06:50:51 AM »

@dorf First of all thanks for playing and commenting.

I am really glad that you are seeing the game to be challenging and not frustrating. From the begging of the project I wanted it to feel retro-hard, but I had worries that it will be too-hard for new players. A good tutorial will ease that, but that will come in a future update.

The thing with the character not stopping may be because you have stepper over an "Oil Stain". The way it works is that if you get your feet oilly, you won't be able to stop instantly for a short time, which makes collecting junk impossible. The main hero leaves small oilly footprints which indicates that the effect is on. Pls let me know it this is accuring elsewhere.

Thanks. I think I can try and optimize the game a bit, but that will come later

Stage 4 is pretty good. I wanted to ask you about how you find the enemies to be. Are they fun to play against?

Once more, thanks for playing and I hope to read more from you soon.

dorf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 05:39:35 AM »

@dorf First of all thanks for playing and commenting.

I am really glad that you are seeing the game to be challenging and not frustrating. From the begging of the project I wanted it to feel retro-hard, but I had worries that it will be too-hard for new players. A good tutorial will ease that, but that will come in a future update.

The thing with the character not stopping may be because you have stepper over an "Oil Stain". The way it works is that if you get your feet oilly, you won't be able to stop instantly for a short time, which makes collecting junk impossible. The main hero leaves small oilly footprints which indicates that the effect is on. Pls let me know it this is accuring elsewhere.

Thanks. I think I can try and optimize the game a bit, but that will come later

Stage 4 is pretty good. I wanted to ask you about how you find the enemies to be. Are they fun to play against?

Once more, thanks for playing and I hope to read more from you soon.
I've now gotten to stage 10! I wasn't sure what that green-gray round rectangle was, so I've avoided it. Only after I've died, the thing randomly ran into my character, so now I know it's a bubble shield thing :D
Also, how do you activate the shield thing? Simply clicking on it doesn't seem to work?

Confirmed that oil was the sole reason of my character still moving after I've stopped pushing the buttons.

Some kind of a tutorial would be beneficial!
I'm not sure what the totem pole and slot machine does. I'm guessing the latter gives me or takes from me processors randomly?

The evil robots can quickly overrun you at later stages at night, and it seems you can't really defend against them unless you have enough junk to convert to energy for the sentries.

Other stuff:
At times I found it difficult (read: annoying) to place my character properly over the junk so that I can start gathering. It seems you have to place him over the junk juuuuust right.

Having the buttons like "GO BACK" light-up on mouse hover would be nice too.

The bubble shield description has a typo: "MELE".

A "back to menu" and "restart" buttons would be great once you die.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 02:17:09 PM »

Is there any way to complete the bonus round with the car?

It feels weird using only the left hand most of the time (I never unlocked the canartche). I think it would feel better to control the character with the arrow keys and the canartche with WASD (if/when you get it).

It took me a few times before I got a clear idea of what I was supposed to do. Maybe this could be fixed by a tutorial. Or simply the character saying stuff in the first level. Like "Need to get scrap!" and "Gotta build a turret!".

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 03:48:03 AM »

Negative :
- Could definitely use a tutorial, simply a message that says : "PRESS 1 TO BUILD A TURRET !" or show an arrow towards it.
- Could use a restart button or quit menu
- Highly unclear what to do on level 5
- on previous levels it felt like the levels are too long. Like level 4 was as long as level 15 should have been.
- tends to become too repetitive too early. Should have a wider area to play - farther away garbage would be worth more/second.
- So many upgrades and I only get one upgrade point, some of the upgrades feel like they are worth nothing - then in-game they rule - could use a better text info or upgrade demo
- can't build more than 1 turret of each type, not cool.
- bad information on all the content - player has to play AND understand how everything runs - what ?!
- A lot of times it feels like the char moves too slow and is too large compared to the size of the whole game.
- fun but not lasting, could be extended to become more fun - gain a weapon, general destruction skill, build in a razor drone that hunts robots down until it loses all health, etc.

Positive :
- Once you understand how it runs, the difficulty is interesting. Feels impossible to start with, becomes easier as you understand how to deal with it.
- Interesting concept ! highly original
- it has that beginning of the Je Ne Sais Que

quigibrough
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 02:16:54 PM »

Played with a controller on Windows 7 and man, this game is difficult as shit. I know you wanted to make the game retro hard but at the very least, the first level should basically be a sandbox to introduce new players to the game. Allow me to run around a bit more and get used to the controls. I had no time to look at the things I could build because I was always 3 seconds away from getting robot or laser fucked. I must have played at least 10 times and even after knowing how to play I feel like level 1 is very hard and I'm unable to beat it.

The music is pretty good, the green on green text is a bit much for the control screen. I also didn't see anything about pressing the 'x' button that spins me around. It seems like it has no purpose. This game would obviously benefit greatly from a tutorial.

The randomness of the level kind of just fucked me a few times too. Those things that shoot in four directions just got placed near too many junk piles and I couldn't get them even though those were the only ones I could get that were far enough away from the robots chasing me. Plus they seemed to have no indication of when they would go off so I couldn't even risk getting close to them because I wouldn't have enough time to react to get out of the way. Don't even get me started about the times they would spawn next to my junk collector and I would just keep getting shot running around my little square of light. Maybe make the darkness less on the first level.    

Even though I had a really difficult time I definitely liked it but I cannot continue right now.

If you want to help me out a ton, it's so hard to find controller testers for our game(Link to TIGForums post. Link at top.). If you want to play it until you get bored and leave some feedback it would greatly be appreciated. We just finished redoing all of the single player levels and are wondering what the difficulty progression is like but also you can leave general feedback about what you like / hate about it. It has local and online multiplayer but the link at the top of the post only has single player in order to make the build small. Thanks!

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 07:58:49 AM »

I like the approach, but there are some quite annoying bugs (I believe).
1. sometimes after restarting you have negative junk
2. i got stuck after building a turret (on the turret)
3. my turret was destroyed (no energy and bots i guess?) and i could not carry enough junk to build a new one (was still demanding 11 more junk, maybe another counter issue?)

survived till wave 8 just now. trying to build another turret. main problem: junk is running out. also the build-action is on the back-shoulder buttons using an xbox controller. there are so many buttons, why use one thats so well hidden. or use any of the shoulder buttons Smiley
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:04:48 AM by marcgfx » Logged

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 07:43:48 AM »

Played the downloaded version: On the first few runs, the game was completely bugged on my Windows Surfaced Pro 3. When I actually entered a level, all I would see was the blue background, the UI, a little glowing triangle, and some text popups when I started clicking around the UI. The environment and sprites were entirely missing.

Eventually I got it to work. Not sure exactly what did it, but here's what I tried:
  • Switching to fullscreen mode. When I quit/returned, the fullscreen setting was lost.
  • Playing the web version
  • Going to the upgrade screen & returning

The bug is still intermittent among multiple playthroughs. I haven't found any common repro steps.

Before getting to that point, some minor UI quibbles:
  • The controls screen is a bit cluttered.
  • I can control some parts of the menu screen with the keyboard but it still requires a mouse, which threw me off.
  • When I entered the Upgrade menu and returned, it was impossible for me to switch levels in level select.

The web version wouldn't load at all for me in Microsoft Internet Explorer. Just see a black page. This could be any number of reasons though, I may have some luck just switching browsers...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic