Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:33:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTigSource Musical Challenge XXXVI - Uneasy Opening Title Scene
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TigSource Musical Challenge XXXVI - Uneasy Opening Title Scene  (Read 1898 times)
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »

Ok, so I'm after something a bit more cinematic this time.
I hear a lot of music in the form of songs on these forums but not much that is structured as a cinematic piece.
Before we get into details, it would be best to think of the game genre as thriller, mystery and/or sci-fi.

The Challenge:
It's the opening scene to a game.
Simply put, there are two sections:
  • Suspense (Opening credits)
  • Impact (Title)

It's all about creating something that emphasises the "impact" of the title appearing.

For the first section:
Visually, there is nothing out of the ordinary on the screen. The music needs to let the player know something isn't right.

Title and impact:
The title appears along with a confronting image (the thing that isn't right). I'll give an example to try and make it clearer.
Once the title and image are displayed (a few sec) the musical piece is finished along with the opening cut scene.

Scene examples:
Ok here's a super dumb idea that might help you understand what I want.

The scene starts like this:
A camera is slowly panning along the windows of a train from front to back.
Credits are popping up and you can see people through the windows sitting and/or doing activities.
Visually, all looks ok but you as the composer, are telling the viewer/player otherwise.
When the camera reaches the rear of the train you can see what looks like the egg of an alien fused to the train. Cue musical impact and game title "Alien Express" Droop then the scene ends.

Get the picture? No? Ok here's another one.

A boat is seen sailing in the distance.
The camera moves in close and hovers over the front of the boat, looking directly down.
It slowly makes its way from the front to the back.
You see men working on the deck, giving orders etc normal sailor business. Nothing sus...
The camera gets closer to the back of the boat and begins to zoom in.
All of a sudden, something comes into view. Through a mesh/grate/hole (or something) in the deck you can see a mass of slaves all tied up and screaming for help. You see them for a split second then...
Boom! The screen goes black and up jumps the epic title... "The Slave".

Enough examples...

Rules:
Structure can be as complex or minimal as you would like but overall I need to hear the two distinct parts (suspense and impact).
It doesn't have to build up or get louder but I want to hear some kind of impact when the title appears.
The title/impact is the end of the piece. How long would a title usually stay up for? I'd say 3-8 sec.
I'd aim for 1 - 2 min length. 3 min max.

Judging Criteria:
Does the first part give a sense of suspense, uneasiness or the feeling that something is coming?
Does the first part emphasis the impact of the title?
Have you been clever about it or just built up to a big bang?

Deadline:
1st Dec 2014.

It might be a tough challenge but it's something you might have to deal with. Feel free to ask questions if anything isn't clear.

Good luck!

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 01:54:26 AM »

I hope to be able to contribute to this particular challenge. You stated that you'd prefer something cinematic-themed, and it just so happens that I listen to a lot of movie soundtracks. Smiley Plus, I love dark sci-fi.. XD

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
amushel
Level 0

Nice jump, human.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 08:52:14 AM »

Very nice theme. I'm looking forward to doing this.

Game Audio Designer and Composer.
andrewmushel.com | Soundcloud | Twitter
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 11:56:42 AM »

Uh huh, yes.  My day has been planned. Excellent challenge suggestion!

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »

Ooooh, lovin' this idea!

Going to put it on my to do list!

abrasounds
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »

Great theme to work on!
I like the idea of showing nothing very unusual on the screen, but creating a music that tells you that not everything is ok. I think it shows how powerful the soundtrack can be to a game or a movie, and how important it's the role of the composer.

Gonna try to participate!  Smiley

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 02:36:54 PM »

You're more than welcome to give a little description of your scene if you have something in mind or you can use one of my examples.

KeepItSimple
Level 0

Classically trained composer and trumpet player.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 12:04:29 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/simplykept/escape-from-manhattan-undead-or-alive

My submission.

I imagined to myself a dark silhouette of a congested metropolis in the rain. Then, when lightning strikes, it illuminates the zombie infestation taking place in the darkness of the ally-ways, as the title of the game displays: "Escape from Manhattan: Undead or Alive".

Super cheesy  Evil Hand Metal Right

Keep it simple.
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 02:44:22 PM »

I'm likely not going to have time for this... even though I'd LOVE to do it. Have one project I have to have done by Sunday evening which is going to take all my free time up from now to then, and then a couple of days after that I'll be out of town until the 1st. :D

So good luck to everybody that enters... I'll at least hop in and check out the tunes / vote.

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 12:18:24 PM »

A lone group of post-apocalyptic survivors are moving through the mountains being chased by big, fast zombie bipeds, all presented in a montage-like fashion.  The tension is palpable, but most of them escape and the montage ends.

They reach the summit of one of the peaks, and then there's the hero/heroine shot - the leader of the group. From this spectacular view, they can see it: the city of refuge off in the distance. Their morale has never been higher.  They hug, they cheer, they congratulate one another for having the strength and fortitude to make it this far.  And then, the city explodes. Game title appears: "No Shelter Here"

The Last City Explodes

johanbrodd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 02:37:41 AM »

Looks like my weekend is planned. Smiley

JoBro Media on SlideDB:

pgil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 03:37:25 PM »

OK I finished a song:

Night Cop

Just imagine the intro from Lethal Weapon or something.  I've never seen Lethal Weapon, but I'm sure the music in it sounds something like this.
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 07:59:35 AM »

pgil, nice submission. Smiley Certainly sounds like the Lethal Weapon soundtrack, though it doesn't feel that uneasy to me honestly.

Here's my submission, which I honestly started to think I didn't have time for.

The Haunted Campus

Loosely inspired by the early 80s B movie "Final Exam".

The pain was the strings. I originally used synth strings from the Prophet VS, only to discover that it resulted in a significant DC offset. Tongue
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:26:14 AM by PythonBlue » Logged

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
abrasounds
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 02:21:27 PM »

PythonBlue you have some good stuff there, i really like it!
--
So, I tried one thing here. That's the track:

https://app.box.com/s/2ww1hgft9v8b192ws6no

The scene I imagined was the following:

The Game starts showing a street at night. The sky is starry and the full moon gives the scene a special taste. The camera changes to the interior of one of the houses of the street where a family lives. Nothing out of ordinary here, there's this guy and his wife watching television, their two sons playing on the carpet of the living room under their feet - everything looks normal. The guy decides to go out for a while to smoke some cigarette on the front balcony. He stays there for a while, enjoying the ambient and then he looks at a window of a house on the other side of the street. He sees a couple sitting on a table eating dinner.
He put out his cigarette and enters home again. The camera then slowly moves to the other house with the couple having dinner. Through the window, the camera enters the house. We see the girl walking away from table to answer the phone. She goes to the window and keep looking outside while talking on the phone. We see her boyfriend standing up and walking in her direction. The camera goes outside again and we're looking at the window. She closes the curtains - we can still see their silhouettes. When she turn around we can see her boyfriend raising his arm while holding a kinfe and then...  "Murder on 47th Street" (??) title appears.

(Sorry, it was a bit long :~ )
(Sorry again, I'm not that creative, just wanted to try something different than the basic zombie apocalypse or so, though this track should be able to fit these too!)

What I tried to create in this was an atmosphere that starts tranquil and slowly goes darker and uneasy.
I talk way too much, geez!

Hope you guys enjoy it!

YogX
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 09:58:23 AM »

Even if i'm not going to participate in this one - should be a great learning experience for listeners.

rofklaw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 01:40:23 PM »

Hello!

This is my entry

https://soundcloud.com/robert-clark-jewett/demonicon

We open on a dark temple. At first, there is no movement, but we see the robed silhouettes of cultists skulking around the exterior. The camera moves into the old forgotten place of worship and we see the congregation. Knelt around an arcane drawing, the High Priest makes the final preparations. Then, they wait. We cannot see their shrouded faces, but we can feel the anticipation. Then a flash of light and the title screen.
Pete301
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 12:35:37 PM »

Last minute entry :D

The Scene:

Aboard a cruise ship an aristocrat is indulging himself. Throughout his life he has walked all over people, always putting himself first and not taking anyone's interests or needs into account. This has caused him to have many enemies. During the night he gets further inebriated, for fear of going too far and playing a fool he decides to retire to his chamber. He walks into the room, the killer awaits...

The clip to be played with the track is a montage of the duke gradually becoming drunk and different shots of suspects one of whom could be the murderer. The final shots are of the duke stumbling into his bedroom, the killer waits in the dark.

https://soundcloud.com/pete301/duke-dies-tonight
Matt Beckett
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 06:50:29 PM »

I gave myself a headache making this one: 

https://soundcloud.com/mattimeatball/negative-zone

I imagined that I was scoring Under the Skin - a fantastic sci-fi film with an incredible soundtrack.  Highly recommended.

-------------------------------------
http://mattimeatblog.tumblr.com
http://thebicycles.bandcamp.com
-------------------------------------
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 05:27:48 PM »

Alright! I'll sort out voting and comments soon. Good job!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic