Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:43:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPortside Exchange - [An arena shooter with pirates and sea creatures]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Portside Exchange - [An arena shooter with pirates and sea creatures]  (Read 1476 times)
Canned Turkey
« on: November 13, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »

is an abandoned project I started late 2014.

Link to pre-alpha:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xuj303gsoimtjb8/Portside%20Exchange%20Pre-Alpha.zip
Hand Joystick Hand Any Key

Backstory:
You are a British tea merchant, life is going well until one night all your stores are robbed by pirates. Chase them to the edge of the map to reclaim your life's work!

Gameplay:
The game will take place in waves, each wave of enemies will be progressively stronger and harder. There will be a "win state" when you get back all your tea, but the game will be endless. Between each wave, you have a chance to use tea to trade for upgrades and extra mercenaries. Mercenaries are how you deal damage, being just a tradesmen, you don't like getting your hands dirty. There will also be bosses like Davy Jones and Black Beard, along with tamable mini-bosses in the form of sea creatures.

Who's Did What:
Design - Aiden & Andrew Rose
Art & Programming - Aiden Rose
no sound because in-completion

GIFS!!!!
No devlog is complete without some GIFs hot out of the oven!

All the gamplay so far (As of the time the GIF was recorded...)(Credits are preemptive, there's no audio yet)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:26:32 PM by Canned Turkey » Logged
Canned Turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »

Maybe screenshake should have been added after the stress test...
Canned Turkey
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »

Progress is what progress does.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 10:25:01 PM »

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 01:00:30 PM »

This looks like a lot of fun! Even though it's a totally different concept, it made me think of an old NES game called Cobra Triangle...probably because you've got a ship zipping around and firing away.

I like that you've got a small fleet of boats to be your bodyguards...how are they controlled? It seems almost like it's two players since they take slightly different paths in the gifs.

Nice work so far! Grin

Canned Turkey
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 01:05:54 PM »

This looks like a lot of fun! Even though it's a totally different concept, it made me think of an old NES game called Cobra Triangle...probably because you've got a ship zipping around and firing away.

I like that you've got a small fleet of boats to be your bodyguards...how are they controlled? It seems almost like it's two players since they take slightly different paths in the gifs.

Nice work so far! Grin

The boats just follow the large ship, which is you, controlled by WASD, and they fire with the mouse.
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 01:13:33 PM »

Ohhhhh, I see how it is, a game where your avatar has a group of bodyguards that do all the fighting for them, eh? YOU'RE HISTORY'S GREATEST RIP-OFF ARTIST! Tongue

I like the concept for this, I've always wanted to make a little game for mobile where you have a little pirate ship in a bathtub and it has to fight stuff like krakens and such. The visuals of this reminds me of that idea even though I was just going have you be one boat in it.

Also I love the name, "Portside Exchange" that's great.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Canned Turkey
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 01:24:26 PM »

Ohhhhh, I see how it is, a game where your avatar has a group of bodyguards that do all the fighting for them, eh? YOU'RE HISTORY'S GREATEST RIP-OFF ARTIST! Tongue

I like the concept for this, I've always wanted to make a little game for mobile where you have a little pirate ship in a bathtub and it has to fight stuff like krakens and such. The visuals of this reminds me of that idea even though I was just going have you be one boat in it.

Also I love the name, "Portside Exchange" that's great.

Oh, no! plz don sue me!!!

This was for TAGjam 16, but uh, it wasn't done at the time. One of the themes was trading and it made me think of trading cannonballs, so that's where the name came from.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 03:54:16 PM »

Bumped the progress up to 20%, 'cause this is gonna be a small game, don't judge me.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 09:17:18 PM »

Link to pre-alpha:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xuj303gsoimtjb8/Portside%20Exchange%20Pre-Alpha.zip
You can play it now...  Hand Joystick Hand Any Key
Canned Turkey
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 10:29:50 AM »

Ech, I'm done with this thing.

Here's the source if anybody wants it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aids8qz3o08bj69/source.gmk?dl=0
Another project down the drain, oh well.

What did we learn kids?
Don't start something if you aren't committed!
That's right!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic