Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:23:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThe Death of a Wizard (post-mortem and playable demos)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Death of a Wizard (post-mortem and playable demos)  (Read 1154 times)
EpicVesselGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 16, 2014, 09:28:39 AM »

This was originally going to be in the Demo Dump, but it got kind of long and there is still some hope that I will find the time/help to revive this project. Thoughts, comments and questions are welcome.

Post-mortem of The 9th Wizard: Rings of Eternity
I hate calling this an abandoned game but in its current engine it is. The reason is quite clear. It has gone though so many changes based on creative ideas and lofty expectations. These images are, surprisingly so, from the same game: The 9th Wizard: Rings of Eternity

1st Iteration: The one I love most (original title Wizards and Wands)

Playable Demo Here (zipped executable)
This version of the game was started at the height of the Rogue-Like renascence. It received terrific reviews for the overall feel and art style. The gameplay was fast and fun, although it is little more than an engine. The problems came into hand when I expanded beyond a one-man team. In an effort to improve the game, we began a complete overhaul that took it away from its simple roots.

2nd Iteration: The one with the highest expectations

No demo but Video, Images and Article Here
This version was the progress of myself and an artist friend Matt. He and I dove in to the development and set high expectations that we never should of set. The game was now fully isometric with original art head to toe (although what you see is a lot of placeholders). We were not ready for such a project and got bogged down in other things. To say the least, this iteration of the game will never (and never had a chance to) see the light of day.

3rd Iteration: My last attempt (renamed The Dragon Strike)

Playable Demo Here
This final attempt at completing/creating a game that was started 2 years prior (prior to this game, not today's post), is Dragon Strike. A game that I once again set out to complete on my own for three main reasons. First, we had promised a completed game to people and never delivered. Second, we agreed on a profit share with a great guy and terrific chiptune artist (Comptroller) and never finished the game even though he completed the entire OST (we did get him some money so it wasn't a total loss), and finally I really really wanted to make this kind of game. Dungeon crawls and Rogue-likes are hands down my favorite to play. This version of the game uses pre-made sprites and tiles. It keeps the isometric perspective, is more or less polished in the look, and remains lightweight (for mobile gaming). It's actually a lot of fun, but poor design and unfinished planning means that it needs a rewrite before it will find its way onto the open game market.

That's it in a nut shell. This sort of feels like the final nail in the coffin for this game. Honestly that feels good. The weight of an unfinished project weighs heavy on indie shoulders. I also look at it as the chance to revive my initial goal and someday make my Rogue-like game.

Comments, questions and thoughts are welcome. Please share your thoughts or similar experiences.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 09:58:32 AM by EpicVesselGames » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic