Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:59:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPONCHO!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: PONCHO!  (Read 8059 times)
Danny Hayes
Level 1

An Indie developer, co-Creator of PONCHO!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 16, 2014, 03:12:19 PM »

PONCHO

Hey everyone, welcome to the official devlog for Poncho! I've been doing a kind of dev update thing in the townhall section before, but now I'm moving it over here.

CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE/BLOG!

COME SEE OUR FAILED KICKSTARTER PAGE!

FOLLOW ON TWITTER!

LISTEN TO SOME OF THE SOUNDTRACK!

SUMMARY

Waking up in a post apocalyptic world of overgrown ruins filled with life, a robot named Poncho begins a journey to find his Maker.

Humanity has been extinct for centuries, leaving their robotic creations behind to fend for themselves. These robots have formed tribes and communities of their own, trying to make a way of life without purpose now their masters are gone.

On your journey, you will have to make some hard choices and ultimately decide the fate of humankind. With multiple areas and paths to explore, you'll never be able to see everything in a single play through. Poncho is about making you feel like a kid again, exploring outside and looking under rocks to see what you find. There's treasure in every nook and cranny in this world, and nothing is quite as it seems... There's always more than one way to accomplish your goals.

Explore this 2D world by moving in 3D parallax layers. A wall is blocking your path? You can go in front it. There's treasure off in the background, far away In the distance? You can go there at the touch of a button. The world of Poncho has no limits on the Z plane...

There are no levels in Poncho. You wake up in the centre of the game, and choose to go any way you want. With no hand holding to tell you where to go, it's up to you to choose the right path. The Maker is out there somewhere...

Interact with every little creature. Every area is filled with randomly generated ecosystems of creatures, all co-existing and reacting to every movement Poncho makes.

PONCHO will be coming to Steam for PC, MAC & LINUX as well as on PS4, PSVita & Wii U in September!

A Little history...

We are a team of 3 guys in their 20's. As kids we used to play 2D games on the Sega, Nintendo or Playstation consoles, and we remember how it was always frustrating that you would see mountains and hills in the distant parallax layers but you could never go there...

So we made this game, where you don't just move left and right, but forward and back as well. Moving into the foregrounds and backgrounds brings such a huge amount of literal depth to the gameplay that we haven't seen before, it just adds so many possibilities and it makes us so excited for the things we can do.

So after a couple of years part time while we held down jobs, we got an alpha build ready and launched a kickstarter. Despite our efforts and campaigning, it failed. We then were able to secure funding privately and so we still get to make this!

I hope you guys enjoy it when it finally gets released! I'll be posting updates once a month or so, so check back every now and then for more info! :D

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:12:00 AM by Danny Hayes » Logged

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 03:14:05 PM »

Hey guys, our first development update post-kickstarter is now live! Enjoy! Coffee

CHECK IT OUT

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 03:36:47 PM »

wow, amazing pixel art with tons of parallax levels - LOVE IT! And the moving between foregrounds/backgrounds is not original but looks very good Wink.
And very nice trailer, even tks to the begin with that sad music - I want this game Wink
The only "bad" thing is that I cannot see what the hero can do exactly :D (ok, now I'm taking a look to the second veido, on STEAM).

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »

wow, amazing pixel art with tons of parallax levels - LOVE IT! And the moving between foregrounds/backgrounds is not original but looks very good Wink.
And very nice trailer, even tks to the begin with that sad music - I want this game Wink
The only "bad" thing is that I cannot see what the hero can do exactly :D (ok, now I'm taking a look to the second veido, on STEAM).

Oh wow, thanks! Yeah, Mutant Mudds is a game we heard about while we were doing EGX last september and that has a similar mechanic, but in Poncho we've made it so you can shift through layers anywhere you like, rather than it being controlled in any way.

It's basically a puzzle platformer, and the hero's main ability other than the conventional platforming is shifting through the layers. Though there are un-lockable abilities to discover which expand the gameplay in certain areas. Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 02:01:33 AM »

I'll just be repeating the obvious, but I can't get enough of deeply nested layers of parallax goodness. Really pretty.

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 02:31:17 AM »

Nice to see that you're back on track! Smiley

Are you able to work full time on the project now? And are you self funding everything or did you found a publisher?

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 02:36:02 AM »

Nice to see that you're back on track! Smiley

Are you able to work full time on the project now? And are you self funding everything or did you found a publisher?

Hey thanks! Yep, we're full time still and yes we did manage to pick up a publisher after the kickstarter failed. Though we can't spill any details on them yet, they have published a few other indie and cult titles of note so I feel comfortable working with them. Smiley

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 02:45:17 AM »

Though we can't spill any details on them yet, they have published a few other indie and cult titles of note so I feel comfortable working with them

That's a good news! Can't wait to know who it is... Smiley

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 02:59:56 AM »

(pssssst use img width tags on the top image to make it not scrollable, hits better impact-wise)

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 03:46:15 AM »

(pssssst use img width tags on the top image to make it not scrollable, hits better impact-wise)

Ah, done! Thanks for the tip. Smiley

matwek
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 12:21:36 PM »

We are a team of 3 guys in their 20's.
Unfortunately that is no longer true as of last week. I'm now a developer in my early 30s
mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 02:54:07 PM »

Oh wow, thanks! Yeah, Mutant Mudds is a game we heard about while we were doing EGX last september and that has a similar mechanic, but in Poncho we've made it so you can shift through layers anywhere you like, rather than it being controlled in any way.

It's basically a puzzle platformer, and the hero's main ability other than the conventional platforming is shifting through the layers. Though there are un-lockable abilities to discover which expand the gameplay in certain areas. Smiley

hehe cool Wink but no fights ability, am I right? In any case, keep up the good work - love it.

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 04:15:20 PM »

hehe cool Wink but no fights ability, am I right? In any case, keep up the good work - love it.

Yeah, there's no combat in Poncho, it's all about the exploration and puzzle solving. Smiley

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »

it looks really good, man!

yaomon17
Level 1

https://twitter.com/YaomonKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »

Yeah, there's no combat in Poncho, it's all about the exploration and puzzle solving. Smiley
Nice! I always enjoy an nice and peaceful puzzle platformer where there aren't hundreds of enemies swarming the screen wanting to kill me.

Amatobahn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 05:28:02 PM »

That switch between depth planes is awesome!

Professional 3d Environment Artist and tinkerer of things.
Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 06:15:48 PM »

Thanks guys! Yeah there's like, several hundred parallax layers in the backgrounds for each level. It really makes the 2D world feel totally 3D. We're a bit crazy when it comes to little details...  Who, Me?

BSKgames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 07:06:46 AM »

Concept is amazing! its like 2.3/4D platformer :D

Keep it up!
del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 07:44:05 AM »

Love the look, and robots! I would love to read a breakdown on how you got funded and what you think may have been up with the kickstarter! Congrats and future good luck!

Four Realms. Action RPG. Platformer. Animals.
johnhackworth
Level 0

The enemy gate is down!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 11:06:56 AM »

"There are no levels in Poncho. You wake up in the centre of the game, and choose to go any way you want. With no hand holding to tell you where to go, it's up to you to choose the right path. The Maker is out there somewhere..."

I love this idea!!

Mixing FTL with Silent hunter since 2014: Ballast Blow
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic