Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:00:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat is a glitch?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What is a glitch?  (Read 1007 times)
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2014, 05:01:05 PM »

What separates glitches from features?
For example, if a developer knows about a glitch but doesn't try to fix it OR condone using it, is it still a glitch?
If they try to fix it but can't, is it a glitch?
If the make it a bit more user-friendly in the next patch as a feature, is it a glitch?

I'm wondering because I'm currently making a game designed around glitches, which is quite fun because all I have to do is make stupid programming mistakes that don't crash the game or get the player permanently stuck and I can call it a feature... of course, I have to think of puzzles designed around using the glitches I create by doing this.
Is it a glitch if I'm intentionally ruining my own programming?
Is it a glitch if I keep it in the game intentionally?
If I don't tell anyone I'm making the game glitch on purpose and they find a ton of glitches, will they be disappointed or excited by their discovery?

I don't really care either way because I'm basically getting the same experience the players will be getting (having no idea what strange thing is going to happen next while searching for glitches to exploit) without paying- and if there were a game like what I'm making I would pay no matter what genre it was in or whether I was interested in the normal gameplay at all, because the experience of finding glitches that aren't extremely limited in use is extremely satisfying.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 05:59:34 PM »

A feature is intentional and/or an expected result, a glitch is not.

Note that in your case you probably don't want real glitches (you could totally wreck things otherwise), just something that looks like a glitch =P
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 06:07:22 PM »

Nope I want real glitches, just real glitches that have been fine tuned to the point where I know what's going to happen in any given case and none of said cases crash the game.

I know glitches aren't intended. But, for example, they say Rocket Jumping started as a glitch, but they left it in and added secrets that require it because they thought it was fun. Was it still a glitch after they knew about it and how it worked?

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 06:08:39 PM »

Nope I want real glitches, just real glitches that have been fine tuned to the point where I know what's going to happen in any given case and none of said cases crash the game.
So... you don't want glitches Tongue

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »

So I can't call unintentional programming errors that I add polish to glitches?

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »

You want to look at how people react to any glitches. If it ends up getting tied into a metagame that everyone uses, you keep it in, touch it up, and call it an ascended glitch. There's a whole tv tropes page about it. That's where like 90% of Gunz 2's metagame comes from.
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 09:05:55 PM »

Honestly, I wouldn't get too hung up on the terminology. Just use whatever "feature"/"glitch" you want.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic