Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:33:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessTumblr
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tumblr  (Read 1522 times)
Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2014, 10:02:01 PM »

Does anyone have a tumblr devblog and, if so, has the payoff been worth the effort?

My girlfriend uses tumblr. I don't, and I have no idea how it would work for a DevBlog.

Zarkonnen
Level 1

Games! Kittens! Wine!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:31:59 AM »

I sometimes post screenshots and concepts to my tumblr, but don't see a lot of uptake. I don't think there's much of a coherent gamedev/indie gaming community. Or maybe I haven't found it.

That said, if you just want a blogging engine, using a tumblr certainly works just fine!

lionfish
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 06:02:48 AM »

Hey Musta!  I don't use my Tumblr very much. I couldn't get the swing of things.  I think of it more as an art dump than a place for a devblog.  When I get more into my game development, I plan to use it to drop off my WIP and final products.  It seems like EdmundM http://edmundm.com/ updates his alot and effectively, but that might be because of the audience he already has.
Zogthor
Level 0

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 02:34:10 PM »

It would definitely make a good public dev blog since you can design it to look a lot nicer and cleaner than say a dev log thread would look like here =P I'm sure you'd also have more metric data that you can monitor than a dev log thread would to.

How well it would take would depend on your cross promotion and upkeep in your marketing strategy. After all, one person can only handle so many platforms in their free time. If you're better at consistently sticking with and sharing your thread, go with that. Better to be 100% effective on one platform than 50% effective on two.

TheGreatBundini
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 04:35:24 PM »

How well it would take would depend on your cross promotion and upkeep in your marketing strategy. After all, one person can only handle so many platforms in their free time. If you're better at consistently sticking with and sharing your thread, go with that. Better to be 100% effective on one platform than 50% effective on two.

This is a great point. You have to think about what platforms work best for your particular project, where your audience is, and which you're able to engage on most effectively.

With that said, I think Tumblr is a great tool for gamedevs. For inspiration, here are a few teams that I think are doing an excellent job with their Tumblr blogs:

• Campo Santo: An excellent mix between dev logs (some quite technical), links to press coverage, behind-the-scenes studio stuff, and promotional screens, videos, and gifs
  • Monument Valley: All fan-created artwork and UGC inspired by the game, curated by ustwo.
  • The Astronauts: This one is really interesting to me. There are some great posts on the development of Ethan Carter, but also, honest commentary on all sorts of topics relating to game dev and the industry.
  • Hyperbeard: This one is relatively new, and the earlier posts were purely promotional, but the latest post is an excellent look into the prototyping process the team went through when developing its newest release, Muertitos, as well as an introduction to their studio.

Hope that helps!  :D

jolene
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 05:04:36 PM »

i use tumblr tho i just post screenshots and dont rly interact w anyone there like i do on twitter. tho i'll say if i see a blog that's not tumblr i end up not visiting it again cos well, im never going to use rss

Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 03:51:51 PM »

People don't give tumblr enough credit. If you approach it the right way, it'll have a bigger payoff than any other social site out there. Not only can you share your content in tags, some of which thousands of people follow and check daily, reblogging will get your work in front of potential customers that would normally never even see it. You do have to post interesting stuff though, visually interesting posts with a story to tell will be shared with your followers and their followers, and so on. You can't just post a wall of text or a sentence with a link, it needs to be something people want to share. A cool design, a tutorial, concept art, a sketch.

Concept art and behind the scenes ideas and sketches are definitely some of the most popular gamedev related posts on tumblr. There are even blogs where you can submit your own game design sketches, or even submit your devlog to the gamedev directory, as well as your concept art.

Popular tags: Game Development, Game Dev, Game Design, Concept art

Most importantly, utilize the side-blog feature. I have several blogs that I cross-share content from my gamedev blog on, all of which are directed at different audiences: my personal blog, art blog, inspiration blog, and the devblog, among others. Not only is it a terrible strategy to only post something once, it also lowers your chance of people seeing and subsequently sharing it.
shellbot
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 01:51:57 AM »

People don't give tumblr enough credit. If you approach it the right way, it'll have a bigger payoff than any other social site out there. Not only can you share your content in tags, some of which thousands of people follow and check daily, reblogging will get your work in front of potential customers that would normally never even see it. You do have to post interesting stuff though, visually interesting posts with a story to tell will be shared with your followers and their followers, and so on. You can't just post a wall of text or a sentence with a link, it needs to be something people want to share. A cool design, a tutorial, concept art, a sketch.

Concept art and behind the scenes ideas and sketches are definitely some of the most popular gamedev related posts on tumblr. There are even blogs where you can submit your own game design sketches, or even submit your devlog to the gamedev directory, as well as your concept art.

Popular tags: Game Development, Game Dev, Game Design, Concept art

Most importantly, utilize the side-blog feature. I have several blogs that I cross-share content from my gamedev blog on, all of which are directed at different audiences: my personal blog, art blog, inspiration blog, and the devblog, among others. Not only is it a terrible strategy to only post something once, it also lowers your chance of people seeing and subsequently sharing it.

This is some solid advice! It somewhat changed my view on Tumblr. I'll be sure to utilize the side-blog feature once I start up on Tumblr.
The Great Emoticon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 06:50:50 AM »

This is awesome, Thanks! One of the hardest things I found about Tumblr is finding good tags that will reach the right audience.

Trent
Level 0

Someday I'll make games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 04:19:57 AM »

Just started migrating from a self hosted wordpress to tumblr. The engagement is already much better than what I was seeing on my devblog. I have no freakin idea what I'm doing on it though.  Embarrassed

invicticide
Level 0

@invicticide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 03:45:34 PM »

I use it for my dev blog. I like it a lot: it's easy to use, looks nice, and I don't have to clean up comment spam. I haven't seen much traffic from it yet, but I'm not sure if that's because it hasn't been live for very long, or if that's because tumblr.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic