Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:54:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingVegifighter [gamejolt leaderboards]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Vegifighter [gamejolt leaderboards]  (Read 1847 times)
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2014, 06:36:14 PM »

Hi guys,

playable on gamejolt:
http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/vegifighter/40189/

I'm planning on releasing this game on Gamejolt and itch.io soon.
Playtesting this thing to death, but unfortunately I'm just by myself so I don't have alot of chance to test the multiplayer.
I also don't have access to a mac/linux machine, so I have no clue if those work.

Right now it's gamepad only. And I'll leave you with no instructions at all to see if I did a good job making it self explanatory  Durr...?.
If you need a tiny bit of help, there is a readme with the controls and a move list when you pause the game.

Let me know what you think, and if you encounter any bugs.

Thanks!

Edit: I removed the unity startup dialogue, you can change the resolution in the options screen now.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:59:13 AM by omgnoseat » Logged

Kiwisauce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 11:53:59 PM »

Soooo... I can confirm that the Mac version starts up properly for me. I was awfully confused about why I couldn't do anything on the title screen until I actually read your post in detail and saw it was gamepad only.

I don't own a gamepad or USB controller of any type.

My feedback, therefore, is: can you please make keyboard controls work? Smiley I bet you'll find it easier to get feedback with a more universal control method.
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 07:47:58 AM »

Soooo... I can confirm that the Mac version starts up properly for me. I was awfully confused about why I couldn't do anything on the title screen until I actually read your post in detail and saw it was gamepad only.

I don't own a gamepad or USB controller of any type.

My feedback, therefore, is: can you please make keyboard controls work? Smiley I bet you'll find it easier to get feedback with a more universal control method.

Well actually everything works with keyboard controls except analog stick mapping due to a bug in unity. I'm waiting for a response on their end so it is beyond my power Sad
I'm guessing aiming will be a bitch though. I'll update here once I fixed it.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 11:09:29 AM »

Alright, I've managed to add keyboard support. Check the readme in the zip

Kiwisauce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 05:14:21 PM »

Okay, I got a bit further before hitting a bug. When I select Single Player and am on the character select screen, I can't actually choose a character and continue on to the main game. Instead, I can move the default character around using the arrow keys, and I can also jump and attack while still on the character select screen.

A few other issues:

- When I start the game in fullscreen mode on a Mac (OS X 10.9.5), the game stretches out to 16:9 resolution instead of letterboxing.

- There was some noticeable control lag in fullscreen mode on the main menu. Sometimes my key presses (up and down arrow keys) wouldn't register at all. Windowed mode was better, but I still noticed that if I started pressing keys too quickly (e.g. mashing the down arrow on the menu) it would stop registering them completely.
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 06:06:57 PM »

Okay, I got a bit further before hitting a bug. When I select Single Player and am on the character select screen, I can't actually choose a character and continue on to the main game. Instead, I can move the default character around using the arrow keys, and I can also jump and attack while still on the character select screen.

A few other issues:

- When I start the game in fullscreen mode on a Mac (OS X 10.9.5), the game stretches out to 16:9 resolution instead of letterboxing.

- There was some noticeable control lag in fullscreen mode on the main menu. Sometimes my key presses (up and down arrow keys) wouldn't register at all. Windowed mode was better, but I still noticed that if I started pressing keys too quickly (e.g. mashing the down arrow on the menu) it would stop registering them completely.

- That is not a bug, that is intentional (yes really :p)
You need to hold the start button for the game to start. You can walk around to get a feel for the character in the character select. I was afraid the instructional text was not clear enough Sad

- Oh that sucks, I only played in windowed mode so I didn't realize this. Thanks for notifying me.

- Yeah I have noticed the input lag on my own machine too. There is really nothing I can do since I'm just using unity's built-in input Sad Strangely enough, controller input is lagless

Thanks for notifying me on these issues Smiley
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:12:44 PM by omgnoseat » Logged

Kiwisauce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 07:09:50 PM »

You're quite welcome!

I gave it another try, but I can't find the start button for the keyboard controls. The readme doesn't say anything about a start button, and I think I hit every button on my keyboard. I understand now that you need to hold it down to start, but none of the buttons seemed to switch characters, so it seems like it might not be mapped properly?

As for the input lag issue, I've never used Unity, but I know that input lag is often caused by not grabbing the input at the proper time in the game loop, or not grabbing it and using it close enough to when the frame is drawn. I don't know if Unity abstracts that stuff away or not, but it might be worth looking into?

I also got the game to crash somehow trying it in fullscreen mode again, but I couldn't replicate it. Windowed mode works fine though.
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »

You're quite welcome!

I gave it another try, but I can't find the start button for the keyboard controls. The readme doesn't say anything about a start button, and I think I hit every button on my keyboard. I understand now that you need to hold it down to start, but none of the buttons seemed to switch characters, so it seems like it might not be mapped properly?

As for the input lag issue, I've never used Unity, but I know that input lag is often caused by not grabbing the input at the proper time in the game loop, or not grabbing it and using it close enough to when the frame is drawn. I don't know if Unity abstracts that stuff away or not, but it might be worth looking into?

I also got the game to crash somehow trying it in fullscreen mode again, but I couldn't replicate it. Windowed mode works fine though.

Woops, seems I forgot about that. Return/enter is start. And Esc is back.
Yeah I have suspected such an issue earlier as well, but since the xbox input is doing fine I don't think it's that. Right now in unity you can assign alternative buttons to xbox analog sticks and buttons. I'm guessing the mapping is just really slow there. I might just hardcode the keyboard input next to the controller input if I cannot find a different solution soon.

Kiwisauce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 08:32:49 PM »

Enter isn't working for me in the current version.

Good luck with the input issue. I've had first hand experience with how annoying tracking down that sort of thing is.
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 08:45:07 PM »

Enter isn't working for me in the current version.

Good luck with the input issue. I've had first hand experience with how annoying tracking down that sort of thing is.

I've just hardcoded all the input, including Enter. Could you let me know if it works now?
Thanks.

Kiwisauce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 10:28:24 PM »

Hmm... still not working. Pretty sure I got the right version (vegifighter 0.6). Neither tapping Enter to switch characters nor holding Enter to start the game works.
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 09:12:56 AM »

Hmm... still not working. Pretty sure I got the right version (vegifighter 0.6). Neither tapping Enter to switch characters nor holding Enter to start the game works.

I've asked someone else (on a windows machine) to test the keyboard controls and they seem to work fine. I also included "P" als an alternative start button. If this doesn't work I don't know what will T_T
He also has issues in fullscreen btw, wish I could just disable the option.

Edit: I have made the game windowed mode only now. You can change the resolution in the options screen now.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:44:14 AM by omgnoseat » Logged

Kiwisauce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 07:30:46 PM »

I hate being the bearer of bad news... it still isn't letting me past the character select screen. Sad I'm not sure if this is a Mac issue or me being totally idiotic or something.

Neither P nor Enter are being picked up at all for me. I tried using both keys to select Single Player on the main menu as well (usually I select with Z), but nothing happened.

On the bright side, the input lag is completely gone now.
Kolba
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 08:09:16 AM »

I played this for longer than I expected to, got a high score of 156 I think,

1. The first couple of times I didn't know you could dash in any direction, just thought you could do it along the ground. Perhaps on the menu you can say "Dash: B + direction" to make it immediately obvious.

Once you start dashing around the screen it becomes a lot more fun.

2. I didn't really see the value in the teleport move, though I can imagine someone who's hot shit making it look cool. What about: a tutorial/demo that not only teaches the controls, but shows how to pull off some cool manoeuvres. New players would then watch it and think "I too, shall become a ninja".

3. I didn't understand how to use the special move, like that big shuriken in the gif up there.

4. I didn't understand what the orange gauge was for, and only managed to less than half fill it.

5. I didn't understand how to change state. I managed to do it only once, by button mashing. I guess it's something to do with the orange gauge?

6. Where's the readme?

7. What about making the combo window a bit bigger so that you can keep a chain going by slashing fruit in quick succession, as opposed to simultaneously? My biggest combo was 4, and I didn't really feel it was possible to get a higher one (at least without knowing how to perform the special move). Whereas if I could get a higher chain each time it would be more tense, exciting and addictive.

8. In summary, I didn't understand how to play it well, and my best performance was when I button mashed.

If I knew what was going on I think it'd be a cool game.

Also, more juice!

I want so much juice that I could make a vegetable smoothie.

Lappin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 10:04:26 AM »

I tried to play the game on windows too, but couldn't come past the character select screen either. I got the same result as Kiwisauce. Moving around/attacking works, but not enter/esc/p.
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 01:16:39 PM »

I played this for longer than I expected to, got a high score of 156 I think,

1. The first couple of times I didn't know you could dash in any direction, just thought you could do it along the ground. Perhaps on the menu you can say "Dash: B + direction" to make it immediately obvious.

Once you start dashing around the screen it becomes a lot more fun.

2. I didn't really see the value in the teleport move, though I can imagine someone who's hot shit making it look cool. What about: a tutorial/demo that not only teaches the controls, but shows how to pull off some cool manoeuvres. New players would then watch it and think "I too, shall become a ninja".

3. I didn't understand how to use the special move, like that big shuriken in the gif up there.

4. I didn't understand what the orange gauge was for, and only managed to less than half fill it.

5. I didn't understand how to change state. I managed to do it only once, by button mashing. I guess it's something to do with the orange gauge?

6. Where's the readme?

7. What about making the combo window a bit bigger so that you can keep a chain going by slashing fruit in quick succession, as opposed to simultaneously? My biggest combo was 4, and I didn't really feel it was possible to get a higher one (at least without knowing how to perform the special move). Whereas if I could get a higher chain each time it would be more tense, exciting and addictive.

8. In summary, I didn't understand how to play it well, and my best performance was when I button mashed.

If I knew what was going on I think it'd be a cool game.

Also, more juice!

I want so much juice that I could make a vegetable smoothie.

1. I was hoping the line would make it clear that you can aim, did you miss it somehow?

2. The teleport move is essential in making combos, as you always have a backup to make a combo when there are no 2 objects in range.

3/4/5. The gauge fills as you make combos, and when it reaches a certain point you will gain the special move. I guess I will need to explain this somehwere.

6. It should be in the .zip, which platform are you on?

7/8. Yeah I was still thinking about that, I simply have not had any people locally to playtest. I guess I will have to wait with the release until I have adressed these issues.

I'm currently kind of busy since I'm in a gamejam, but I will look into these things soon.
Thanks for the feedback, it's a great help Smiley

Kolba
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 04:47:47 PM »

I do see the line, but it still wasn't clear I could direct it. You could give it an arrow head perhaps.

I get the thing with the teleport, though I was never able to use it in a way that made my combos more effective than rapid dash/slashing.

You could segment the gauge, so players know at what threshold the state changes. When "STATE UP!" flashes the first time, players can connect it with the fact the gauge just crossed into another segment. So really, not much explaining is needed at all: purely visual feedback like this can do the job better.

I'm on windows. I just redownloaded the zip, and - voila - the readme is now there Smiley

I hope you get more play testers, good luck with the game, and the game jam.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 05:52:17 PM »

I do see the line, but it still wasn't clear I could direct it. You could give it an arrow head perhaps.

I get the thing with the teleport, though I was never able to use it in a way that made my combos more effective than rapid dash/slashing.

You could segment the gauge, so players know at what threshold the state changes. When "STATE UP!" flashes the first time, players can connect it with the fact the gauge just crossed into another segment. So really, not much explaining is needed at all: purely visual feedback like this can do the job better.

I'm on windows. I just redownloaded the zip, and - voila - the readme is now there Smiley

I hope you get more play testers, good luck with the game, and the game jam.

That makes sense. I have added a little segment like you suggested, hopefully it's a bit more clear now. I haven't had time to impliment your other suggestions. Instead I have added gamejolt leaderboard support. I have added it in the latest build. I haven't done any testing on this besides myself, so I hope shit doesn't break all over  Beg

You can create an account here: http://gamejolt.com/
Or you can just continue playing without sending your score to leaderboards if you don't want to sign up. You can still see other peoples scores to get a reference though!

Let me know if you find any weird things.
Thanks

BraveLoner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 02:44:40 AM »

Really just make use of the mouse where you can.
A lot of people will expect to be able to click a button with the mouse, imho.
AnsonKindred
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »

I played with a controller on Windows 7. This was way more fun that I thought it would be with all the different special moves. I have to say though that the menu controls are really unnecessarily confusing. You use "a" to get past the main menu to the character selection screen but then you have to hold "start" to select a character. And how long should I hold start? At the very least you should have a little bar that fills up (or something to that effect) so the player knows something is happening. And pressing "start" to cycle through the characters is just...un-intuitive.

Other than that though I liked the game. The character art is pretty sweet. I'm not a big fan of the pixely look in general but you pulled it off well here.

It wasn't entirely clear what the bar on the side was for, and I never did manage to fill it much, but I did notice my player had a trail when I was doing well. It was a nice effect, made me feel like I was going faster, though I'm not sure if I actually was or not Smiley

If you have a minute and a controller handy, I could really use some help testing my game as well. It's always hard to find people on PC with controllers to test things.

Play here

Link to TIGForums post.

Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic