Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411411 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 08:31:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessRequest for help: How to make a better trade show for indies?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Request for help: How to make a better trade show for indies?  (Read 830 times)
Jonathan Burroughs
Level 1

Co-founder Variable State

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2014, 05:24:48 AM »

Hello all,

I'm meeting with an organiser of a game trade show tomorrow (Thursday 20th November). We're looking to discuss how to make trade show events work better for indies. What kind of services both within an event itself and peripheral to the event, such as via business and PR connections, are typically lacking from trade shows? Or could be improved in general?

Here's the premise as it was described to me:

The big picture is about using the [trade show] and the commercial side of [event organiser] to help indie games reach an audience. Between the shows and the advertising reach that's a relatively straightforward pitch. But there are all sorts of other connections and services within the company nationally and internationally that could do a bit more, so I'm asking around to find out what would be useful for indies.

I've got a few ideas of my own. But I wanted to poll TIGSource in particular and see if anybody had any recommendations or ideas I could bring along.

Obviously suggestions which don't come with unreasonable cost burdens are probably going to go down best. But don't feel the need to censor yourself. If you have any anecdotes of irksome trade show experiences (or super positive ones you'd like to see replicated elsewhere) or pie in the sky, flight of fancy ideas for improvement by all means let rip.

Edit: Sincere apologies it's such short notice!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:38:32 AM by HiFiHair » Logged

TheGreatBundini
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 12:11:46 AM »

I like this question a lot, and think it's cool that you get to contribute to the planning of this event. It's a little difficult to make recommendations without knowing a bit more about the event itself, and, as you describe it, the kinds of "connections and services" the organizer can put into play. Since you're in the UK, my mind immediately jumped to Rezzed, so for whatever reason, I'm going to operate with the assumption that your event also features both a "floor" where the public/press can go hands-on with upcoming titles, and maybe some talks or conferences in addition.

Regardless, a few thoughts:

1. First and foremost, anything that the event's organizers can do to promote the games on display through their own channels is obviously key. You clearly allude to this in your post, but to expand on that, I think the Indie Megabooth folks do a great job with this: blog posts, podcasts, social media, etc. They have created a brand unto itself (which obviously doesn't happen overnight), and the games that exhibit with them gain a level of notoriety and prestige that they might not otherwise achieve on their own.

2. Along those lines, I like the idea of having a scheduled live presentation, with online video stream, that showcases a few of the more notable games/teams. The closest comparison would be like what some of the major outlets do at E3 (G4, Gamespot, etc.), but in terms of event organizers who did this for their own events, I really liked what Double Fine did for Day of the Devs earlier this month.

3. Create a system for exhibitors and the press to connect with each other prior to the event. This can be a simple as an online database of contact info that can only be accessed by those who are registered. If you really want to get fancy, implement a messaging system, so you can gain some insights into how its being used and make improvements for future events.

That's all I got for now, hope it's a good starting point. Good luck tomorrow, and let us know how it goes!

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:49:15 AM »

Cheap/affordable space, with a good size bench, comfy stools or chairs, with a wall for a full size poster etc...  I love what the leftfield collection has done at Rezzed and EGX for the last few years, but it's downside is how crazy busy and cramped it is in that small Isle (don't get me wrong it's a damn great start and I'm even contemplating applying next year for Rezzed leftfield collection Smiley.. but more space would be the best thing so people don't feel rushed or cramped.. and can take photos etc :D

Good free wifi so people can tweet and upload images all day... wether thats the devs showing people enjoying their games. or new fans tweeting about the game etc...

I'll add more later Smiley

But this topic interests me alot also..

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Jonathan Burroughs
Level 1

Co-founder Variable State

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 01:18:06 AM »

Thank you both. These are hugely useful.

TheGreatBundini, you're correct, it's an event which features an exhibition, conferences and some online presence. I'm being a bit cagey about the name just because I haven't been given expressed permission to mention it. But that's mostly a case of me not having asked if I can.

I'd suggest people keep adding to this thread if they feel like it. It feels like a topic many of us have ideas about and it could become a useful resource to send on to event organisers in the future.

I also want to explain that my meeting today hasn't come out of some special privilege. It seems to be a bit of a fluke really. My impression is I'm just one of a number of developers being asked for input and feedback.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:40:55 AM by HiFiHair » Logged

TheGreatBundini
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 09:20:55 PM »

I also want to explain that my meeting today hasn't come out of some special privilege. It seems to be a bit of a fluke really. My impression is I'm just one of a number of developers being asked for input and feedback.

That's fine. I think it's a promising sign that they're actually in contact with and soliciting advice from, you know, the people participating in the event. It's amazing how often something like that gets overlooked.  Cheesy

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic