Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:28:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDragonoir = [2D, Hand Drawn, Metroidvania] Dragons + Film Noir.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dragonoir = [2D, Hand Drawn, Metroidvania] Dragons + Film Noir.  (Read 1377 times)
Savick
« on: November 19, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »

Evenin', fellas. Ladies.  Noir

"The beat’s hard and lonesome. You go lookin’ for trouble, it comes lookin’ for you. We chase each other around and end up with nothin’. That’s life in Midnight City for ya. Morning come round and no sun ever shines."

Game Genre / Mechanics
I'm going for platforming Metroidvania, where the exploration of hidden/locked areas is based on what clues and items you've uncovered that pertain to the story. Shooting fireballs, firebreath, other dragon type things too. The story will be a crime drama that I come up with myself. Mafia, betrayal, double crosses, all that jazz.

Narration
Like Bastion, I plan to have a voiced narrator, but as the main character's thoughts about what's going on around him. The danger he encounters, the strange side of the streets, etc.
I am holding voice auditions here till the 23rd: http://voiceacting.proboards.com/thread/28485/dragonoir-game-film-dragons-voice

Setting
The tough and far more strange streets of Midnight City are a mix of classic noir elements and occult/ fantasy. Edison (our dragon protagonist) will find femme fatales that dabble in dark magics, shadow men who are friends of the Black, and other things along those lines.  Cool

Music
I have a musician now and I like their music. It's something like this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TryBG4C4xY0

Updates
I'm basically working on this most of the day everyday and plan to post often. I'm doing all the programming myself in game maker studio and hand drawing all the art in photoshop. New gifs and images will be posted at the top of this page as well as in new posts.
Social media links are in my signature. Gonna do this all the way gosh dangit.  

Any comments are appreciated, because you guys are awesome. Gentleman
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 04:46:39 PM by Savick » Logged
Tyro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:23:04 PM »

That is one snazzy looking protagonist.

Do you plan on setting this game in a full-blown noir setting, or will it be kind of a mix of fantasy/50s film dramas? I ask since you're playing as a dragon and all.

Savick
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 02:35:45 AM »

That is one snazzy looking protagonist.

Do you plan on setting this game in a full-blown noir setting, or will it be kind of a mix of fantasy/50s film dramas? I ask since you're playing as a dragon and all.

Thanks for your comment! I wasn't clear about setting in the OP, so thanks for pointing that out. Yeah, I want there to be some fantasy/occult elements to the story in addition to the noir setting. Maybe like a femme faltale who's really an elder god. I'll update the OP with a setting section right away.
Savick
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:17:16 AM »

New gif  
rough walking animation

It's probably gonna take me the rest of the day to get it looking good/better. What do you guys think?
Update!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:03:14 PM by Savick » Logged
Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 07:15:59 PM »

Oh this looks like fun!
I like that style and that gif with the ball instantly brings back memories of Closure  Wink

Savick
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 07:59:24 PM »

Oh this looks like fun!
I like that style and that gif with the ball instantly brings back memories of Closure  Wink
Thanks for your comment! I like to think of myself as inspired by art styles like Closure even though I haven't played the game myself. I'm not sure how strange my game is going to end up being in relation to Closure as well, but we'll see.
Savick
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 01:31:51 PM »

For today's update here's a quick little sketch of Edison:

And a link to the kind of music I'm picturing for the game itself.

lobstersteve
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 04:31:19 AM »

the animation looks a little weird :/
the feet are missing a pose inbetween or something
also the movement speed doesn't match the animation speed of the dragon, it looks like he's sliding on ice..the walking animation should go faster..maybe that'll even fix the "problem" i mentioned above.
Savick
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 05:01:23 AM »

the animation looks a little weird :/
the feet are missing a pose inbetween or something
also the movement speed doesn't match the animation speed of the dragon, it looks like he's sliding on ice..the walking animation should go faster..maybe that'll even fix the "problem" i mentioned above.

Ah! Yes, it's just supposed to be a rough walking animation. I probably shouldn't have posted something so incomplete looking Embarrassed
    Thanks for your observation. I have experience with animation, but doing hand drawn stuff is still kind of new to me. I'll be sure to work on this and make it look better.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic