Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:37:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAnybody picking up Smash Wii-U?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Anybody picking up Smash Wii-U?  (Read 1931 times)
Fetus Commander
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »

I know there's a thread about the 3DS one, but is anyone looking forward to the Wii-U version as well?  Gonna try to get in a lot of local multiplayer action this weekend with buddies.  Being a Dokapon lunatic, Smash Tour mode kinda excites me.  The idea of playing duo with your local friend vs. the Internets is cool too.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 10:13:12 PM »

no

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 01:59:04 AM »

if you buy me a wii u then yes

BizarreTomato
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 06:01:25 AM »

I picked it up. It's incredibly pretty and charming thus far. I've mostly been playing Ness & Shulk.
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 01:27:42 PM »

I want it. No Wii-U yet, alas, but it's got such a stellar lineup it will probably be the next purchase.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 07:05:19 PM »

I got it via download. Despite not having the game tied to my account (oy), the nice Digital Deluxe promotion and no tax on digital goods means it was a good choice, I think.

As for the game, it's good. Graphics, gameplay, characters, customization; online mode can be pretty lag-less, which is nice. I think it just misses a story mode.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 08:44:43 PM »

no hyphen

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 09:36:39 PM »

It feels good after so many years of playing Brawl to move on to something else. When it comes to lasting appeal, I can only hope that it will stay as interesting to me as all the games before it, but since I don't see any glaring issues as of yet (off on a tangent but: nothing on the scale of tripping), I really think it will. And I think, unless you've been secretly praying for wavedashing to make a return after all these years, that core experience shouldn't disappoint. And if you have been praying for wavedashing to return, go play Project M already...

High praise aside, Pac-Land is the ugliest looking stage ever. At least it's kind of a fun one (Not that scrollers are great to begin with, but its hazards aren't too obtrusive). Also it fortifies my baseless rancor toward Pac-Man.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 10:07:09 PM »

Yeah, Pac-land's original graphics weren't the most, uh... "Sound" to begin with. The original Pac-man has the minimalist, slick, simple appeal of good quality pixel art done simply. Pac-Land just could've been rendered better overall, I think.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 02:34:23 AM »

I'd love to get Smash Wii-U but I don't even have a Wii-U, it really sucks because a lot of my friends already have it.

HeliocentricS
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 10:26:42 AM »

Picked it up digitally a few days ago. It's a smash game so you know if you'll like it if you've ever played one before. Can't speak to the subtle differences that make people prefer melee over brawl and whether this one is a good successor.

Just been playing with the ai so far and trying to get the unlocks but I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I'm going to try it online with some friends sometime this week. Has anyone tried that yet? How's the latency?
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 11:25:20 AM »

Didn't really notice any latency, except on rare occasions. I think it's still peer-to-peer though, so it might be more hit-or-miss than if it was truly server based. My brother and I played a whole lot of online team battles together, and finished the final team event match as well, on hard (it was quite unforgiving, we ended up going with a vampiric and auto-heal set and both playing as Ness). Team battles online were fun, but were 2-minute timed matches instead of stock, which was a bit annoying, especially when people would abuse the timer.

The Melee>Brawl argument is a pretty common one, probably soon to mold to Melee>Smash4>Brawl. You have to understand that this is a competitive viewpoint though, and that Brawl and Smash4 will probably blow their respective predecessors out of the water for the average player. Only for a serious player will the subtle options that make Melee a better competitive game matter whatsoever, and even then, those options (Wavedashing! L-cancelling!) are invoked in arguments as though they are glorious design choices beyond reproach instead of esoteric mechanics that I personally am glad to be rid of. Also most Project M players that I know are assholes who do talk of these things as though they are perfect and immovable, so that doesn't help my viewpoint at all.

Duckbridge
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 02:31:56 PM »

Yeah I definitely want to pick it up! I love smash, however I'd need to get a wii-u first..^^

Dutch indie game developer that is currently working on Luckslinger, you can follow us on Twitter and Facebook
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 09:04:18 PM »

Should the Smash Bros. threads be merged or something? Doesn't make much sense for there to be a split between Wii U and 3DS when they are mostly the same game.

BizarreTomato
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 09:17:34 PM »

I second that idea. Any subtle differences or version of interest could be clarified on a post-by-post basis.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic