Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:08:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs(DEAD) D R A G O N S + Friends - co-op hacknslash proc-gen
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: (DEAD) D R A G O N S + Friends - co-op hacknslash proc-gen  (Read 4657 times)
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:38:07 PM »

D R A G O N S + Friends (pronounced "dragons and friends") is a procedurally generated hack n' slash rogue-like with an emphasis on the push and pull of competitive and cooperative multiplayer.

Here's some gifs of enemies and weapons I've been working on for the past month or so:

I'm taking inspiration from multiple places, for the combat a bit of Momodora and Smash Bros, the procedural generation and a few of the mechanics a bit of Nuclear Throne, and the multiplayer Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Zelda: Four Swords Adventures. Ok ya all that stuff for sure haha.

Some of you might know my other game Script Kiddies which you can check out here. Script Kiddies is on hold for right now as I work on D+F. Anyways, lots more to come but I hope you'll follow along!

ARTWORK/LOGO AT TOP by dReW gReLLA: @Drewisdrawing
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:32:10 PM by NinthPower » Logged

Savick
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 03:03:38 AM »

Looks like a cute and fun game, but the style is a little too simple for me.
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 05:49:17 AM »

ouch

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 05:59:41 AM »

what do you mean ouch?
this has a lot of potential, and I want to see where you take it. Following.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 06:50:18 AM »

sorry, I appreciate what you said Dragonoir  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Thanks I appreciate it Smiley

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 12:48:56 PM »

This is what the character lineup looks like so far. I'm leaning toward symmetrical gameplay kind of like Samurai Gunn where the characters are simply cosmetic...

And I really really love the way Drew rendered them in his drawing. Look at Monique she's so flippin cute!

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 10:13:54 AM »

New enemy type I came up with last night: Swordodo. Still very early and WIP but main idea is there.

I was thinking he would shield attacks and the player has to do something interesting/meaningful to attack him other than just roll behind him. Any ideas?

The goal right now is to get a get mix of enemies and have their basic patterns working then get in on the tower generation stuff. Right now I have 5 enemies coded and 1 boss. Goal is 2 bosses and ~8 enemy types before moving to proc-gen stuffs.

Eldan_Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 10:45:39 AM »

So cool man!!  I love the idea and the gameplay looks just super fun! The minimalistic graphic style is also lovely. Keep on with the good work!  Beer!
adrian.bedsheet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 06:01:56 PM »

looks awesome, dude.
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 06:54:49 PM »

Thanks guys  Gomez

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 08:38:31 PM »

physics is weird...

still working on getting the gravity for their attack right. I've had physics in for a few weeks now and changing these little guys Big Laff' attack to physics based instead of x/y based is taking more work than i thought Smiley and it's hilarious

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 07:42:33 AM »

new swordodo sprite. I think this fits a lot better with the other enemies and obviously the feather in his cap makes him look more threatening!

Still not sure of what his combat style should be like. Any ideas would be much appreciated Smiley

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 12:02:30 PM »

So the game is still in a very malleable state. Originally I was thinking there would be a bow n' arrow as a main weapon like knife or lance, but I think it would be a lot more fun if it acted as a secondary weapon.

So the plan now is that each player has a melee weapon (knife, sword, etc) in their ATTACK slot, and then a variety of things can go in the SPECIAL slot. This could be a secondary weapon like a bow n' arrow, or a bomb which could be used with a cooldown (kind of like special abilities in RISK OF RAIN), or they could be something with status effects like a sacred instrument that can be played to give an attack+ to all players or put every enemy on-screen to sleep for a little while.

Here's the bow n' arrow animation I did last night. TURNED OUT SO GOOD I'M SO HAPPY!  Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Any Key

One of the special slot items I'd like to add are faeries:

Faeries will fulfill a similar role that they do in the Zelda games when you have a faerie in a bottle. It will work like an extra life--if you die it will bring you back to life.

Anyways, small steps but the game is feeling better and better Smiley

Vitali Kirpu
Level 1

reach your potential

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »

Simple but powerfull. Nothing to add.  Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right

Working on the game and trying to help others on the way!

If you ever need tips let me know! I will gladly help
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »

Thanks Smiley

dynasty9
Level 0

Let's do this

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »

I always love local-multiplayer! There is something very satisfying about yelling at your friend across the room.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 07:19:18 PM »

Thanks dynasty. I think I may include a single player but the emphasis will be on co-op. Kind of like how you can play Four Swords Adventures by yourself but it's not really that fun...

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 08:25:17 AM »

new arrow stickiness.

the way I implemented it is only a quick fix though. I think what I need/want to do is when the arrow hits a solid or an enemy, it changes physics to become a joint to the thing it hits.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 11:03:24 PM »

Ok YES! Having the secondary weapon option adds SO MUCH! I'm so happy the new arrows work perfectly! Especially in conjunction the roll-counter for the sword and shield: attack --> roll counter --> arrow in the face is looking like a super good combo Smiley

The combat is starting to feel much more fluid so it's heading in the right direction Smiley I mean, look at that, I just ripped those guys apart. Didn't stand a chance  Tongue

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 01:39:22 PM »

Got some smoother movement (especially through the air) and showing off the bats path-finding

For some reason I was setting the movement to 0 when you attacked in the air but now it's more fluid.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic