Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:15:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsRender 3D Models as Pixel Art
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Render 3D Models as Pixel Art  (Read 4791 times)
Regniwekim
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2014, 09:29:05 AM »

After seeing some posts of other 3D pixel art, I thought I'd try my hand at creating some of my own.

Final Image Preview

I did this using the DB32 colors and 3DS Max.

Step 1. Color Palette

The first step in the process is picking a color palette, and developing a dark->light gradient for you object.

I use a 4-color gradient in this tutorial. You can change the amount of colors using the same technique though.

Step 2. Material Set Up

This effect is achieved entirely with the clever use of Falloff maps.

* The first falloff map goes in the diffuse color of the object.

* You adjust the mix curve to be a step right in the middle as shown in the picture. This makes it so there is no smooth shading of the colors, but a sharp contrast instead.

* The second falloff map is used in the 'shaded' map of the original map.

* You adjust the mix curve to be a step that is low and to the left, as shown in the picture. This achieves the same sharp contrast effect, but limits it to only the darker colors of the object.

* The last falloff map goes in the 'lit' map of the original map.

* You adjust the mix curve similarly to the second map, expect it is a step near the top and to the right. This makes it so these colors are only applied to the light colors of the model.

* Now that all the falloff maps are in place, we need to have the material self-illuminate. This prevents soft shadows, and lets the diffuse map handle all the shading.

Step 3. Render Set Up

Now that the material is set up, there are some options to change for rendering.

* The first is to disable anti-aliasing.

* You can find this option in the render setup menu, in the renderer tab.

* Next up is to set your render size.

* This option will be found in the render setup menu, under the common tab. This will change based on your needs.

-----

**Step 4. Render!**

Everything is setup and ready to render. Feel free to add lights, animations, etc. If you need more than one color on an object, you can apply this method to a multi sub object material type to get the same effect.

-----

Thanks for checking out my tutorial. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I will do my best to answer.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 02:36:25 AM »

I don't think I'll have much use for this ATM, but I like it! Would be fun to put to use some time.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic