Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:05:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessDo you need to ask permission to quote an article in a trailer?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Do you need to ask permission to quote an article in a trailer?  (Read 1188 times)
Jonathan Burroughs
Level 1

Co-founder Variable State

View Profile WWW
« on: November 21, 2014, 07:09:18 AM »

My understanding is there is some legal requirement in the UK for permission to have been sought if a quote appears in an advert or trailer which is broadcast on television. But I'm not sure if this applies to trailers which only appear online.

From an ethical perspective it seems appropriate to ask permission before quoting someone. I just wondered what the official legal situation was.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:58:34 AM by HiFiHair » Logged

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 08:08:38 AM »

Not a lawyer, but taking a guess: it probably wasn't tested yet and it's likely a judge would agree that it falls under the same terms, so to play safe I'd say behave like those restrictions applied in this case as well. At worst you'll be just being more cautious than needed.

Of course, check with a lawyer to be 100% sure...
AleHitti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 05:01:08 AM »

I have quoted phrases from articles written about our game on multiple occasions without asking for explicit permission. This is in the US though, so if you are a bit wary, just shoot them an email and ask Smiley Journalists are usually pretty cool and prompt to reply to emails Smiley

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 07:47:44 AM »

Should be legal to quote without asking permission. I mean any quote you put in a trailer will genuinely be positive and then might lead to a link through to the preview or review etc... So it's positive

I can't see many magazines/websites not wanting people quoting them and potentially growing their readership

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 08:00:07 AM »

Should be legal to quote without asking permission. I mean any quote you put in a trailer will genuinely be positive and then might lead to a link through to the preview or review etc... So it's positive

You could say the same thing about using some band's music in your YouTube videos that get 1 million+ views each, but they'll still get on your ass about it for dumb copyright shit.

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 09:25:41 AM »

If you're concerned, ask a lawyer. Getting your legal advice from a forum is risky at best. For that matter, giving legal advice in a forum is risky at best.

WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 12:11:07 AM »

I didn't heard of anyone having trouble with it. (do someone here do ?)

The only trouble I've heard is a journalist that made an article saying that a game is bad, and the dev "extract" only a good sentences from his article.
The journalist complain and ask to get this sentence supressed from the steam description, but the dev didn't do it...
It backfire, because the complain of the journalist made a buzz. The dev only added a link to the original article, but let the sentence there...

A journalist have no interest of making a law suit and will just ask to remove it. The risk is to have bad reputation within journalist community...

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 10:40:32 AM »

You could say the same thing about using some band's music in your YouTube videos that get 1 million+ views each, but they'll still get on your ass about it for dumb copyright shit.

would totally depend on context.. If you like a small snippet of a review and provide a link to a free website supported by adverts its probably not an issue,

Using a song without permission that isn't free to reproduce in the first place is already sketchy.. If its music with a "free to use" tag that might be different.

The difference is your using a very small quote from a review, I really don't think they would be bothered having known a fair few journos.. I can ask a few former magazine guys what they think and get back to you guys..

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic